“My most relaxing time in Thailand”
Review of Sriraya Guesthouse

Sriraya Guesthouse
Ranked #89 of 151 Ko Lanta B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 24, 2014

I came to Sriraya to spend ten days originally, and ended up there for almost a month....

Such a relaxing guesthouse, clean, with a most genial and jovial atmosphere...
Sometimes, so quiet, it provides lots of room for introspection and self rumination.....
It's back deck is located over the sea, and provides the most wonderful feeling when the tide is in, and the sound of the water beneath the deck rushing in. The view beyond, is of almost eight small island, with views of birds and passing fishermen...

The Old Town's Main Street, which it is on, provides some of the best Thai food I've ever had, and local people that are a joy to relate to and be with.....

This was my second visit, and I will always return, simply because of the guarantee that what I need, peace, is very much a part of what this guesthouse provides....
Kudos to the manager Pao for doing a great job to make sure one is comfortable...

Room Tip: I particularly like room number 1 because it has views of the Main Street.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank SoniaBB2014
There are newer reviews for Sriraya Guesthouse

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Lanta Old Town is the most charming place we visited on our trip to Thailand. Old town is traditionally Thai with very few tourists apart from the odd back packer. The village is full of lovely Thai families who were friendly, generous and welcoming.

We stayed at Sriraya for four nights just before New Year. The accommodation itself is basic but clean and great value for the cost. The building sits above the water with the sound of waves lapping underneath you, with beautifully varnished wood floors throughout. There is a large terrace with hammocks to watch the world go by. The guest house really has a chilled out vibe and at times you feel you have the house and terrace to yourself. The shared toilet and shower facilities were basic with a hot shower, but all you need. There was never a queue to use the facilities so sharing wasn't an issue.

Although the rooms are not air conditioned this really isn't a problem. The West coast of Koh Lanta is welcomed with a cool sea breeze which means sleeping at night with a fan is comfortable. The wifi was useful and worked throughout the building.

The owner Pao was welcoming and helpful. We had mentioned that we were interested in hiring a moped, within an hour one had arrived at the door of the guesthouse at just 200 baht a day (£4!). Pao then hopped onto his moped and ushered us to follow him to a friends restaurant Shanti Shanti where we spent the evening. Run by a Frenchmen this place offers refreshing cocktails and freshly cooked food. Pao also booked an island hopping & snorkelling tour for us, as well as arranging our transfer and ferry tickets when leaving the island at 'Thai' price rather than tourist price. In short he is the ultimate fixer!

We would strongly recommend staying in the Old Town for an authentic Thai experience and stay with Pao at Sriraya for the perfect base to explore the island.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carly G
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We booked to stay over here because of the excellent reviews. I am really sorry to say but we were disappointed. The guesthouse had a empty, unloved feel and as if it and we had been forgotten. We just had to sort ourselves out if we needed anything even when we had some problems with our accommodation.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mbeelfee
Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

This guesthouse experience was great. The actual accommodations are rustic but clean. My sister and I shared a double bed room with a fan for THB 400 per night. We were very comfortable. The bathrooms are shared and one of the showers is heated.
We felt very relaxed hanging in the public space which is a pier overlooking the water. The entire guesthouse is situated on stilts and when the tide is high, you fall asleep to the sound of waves.
We felt very welcome by Pao, the owner. He speaks English well and was helpful with further bookings and planning activities during our stay. There are several resident kitties-which seem way healthier and cleaner than most other cats we have seen in Thailand.
As for Old Town, it is quiet but perfect. Everything closes pretty early but motor bikes are available for THB 250 from Joy that runs the Leather Shop across the street. They are a fun adventure in themselves, and it feels safer driving the rural streets of Koh Lanta than Bangkok or Phuket. Most of the night time and shopping action happens on the west coast ~about 40 min motorbike ride.
Since it is such a small town the locals are very into teaching you Thai. Everyone is friendly, and I never felt taken advantage of. If I come back to Thailand; I will definitely return to Koh Lanta, Old Town, and Sriraya.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

Beyond all the resorts on the west coast and in Saladan, old town is quite different, and Sriraya really adds to the experience. Half of the town is built out into the sea on stilts, and Sriraya is in one of these at the northern end of the town. We stayed here for 5 nights, and it was perfect.

The rooms are quaint and quirky, all with beautiful wooden floors. There is also a cool place to sit out the back on comfy beanbag chairs that feels like you're in the sea!

The owner is lovely, gave us a bottle of water every day, and, when we mentioned we liked the green tea, he gave us the jar of leaves too! There is a cafe/gallery too, run by Sandy, who apparently is an awesome cook, but we never got the chance to try anything (everyone in town raves about her cooking!)

Next door is a chap who rents kayaks, it's really worth taking a trip around the islands nearby. And opposite is a bar, called Tells, also well worth a visit.

Definitely coming back!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The owners were very very nice/hospitable (actually, everyone in Old Town seemed to be as its a bit off the tourist beat) and its nice to sit out over the water in back. Free 1.5 litter water per day and free coffee at any time. My only complaints were the wi-fi was not working as they said it was being fixed in the coming weeks, but there was wi-fi at restaurants/guest houses down the street. Also and on the second night I was there, my bed could have used mosquito netting as the weather seemed to be just right for them to be out in full force.

Note: Old Town Lanta is not worth a special trip to (its just one road + a jetty) unless you have a motorbike and you want to go for lunch and pick up supplies. Otherwise, its a good place to stay if you have tranpo and want to get away from the beach scene for a bit. Its also cheaper to stay in old town and you are away from the tourist crowds (hence, better and more friendly service). I ate a couple of times at Lanta House (I think that was the place, it was down the street with the back over the water) since it had wi-fi and I think the Thai lady running it is married to a foreigner.

Room Tip: Again, I think they should have mosquito netting over the beds as the place is also over water / mud...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank EmergingMarketSkptc
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I had low expectations because of the price and pictures posted, but I was delighted with the place! So much character!

The neighborhood (Old Town) is extremely friendly! Not many speak English, but smiles abound!

At Sriraya, Pao, the guy in charge, was great, friendly, fun, laid back, very helpful... The simple rooms are great. Breezy and the sound of waves from underneath keep you relaxed the entire time you're there.

The locals hang out and socialize, play soccer in the park, great people (although I think some kids were trying to get me to curse in Thai, hehe).

Scooter rental was available when looking for more exciting activities in other areas. L

Suggestion: walk all the way down to the other side of the Main Street near the town square. There's a great herbalist family shop with great people. Also, AVOID the travel agent near the town square. They quoted me 1600 baht to get to the minibus station and on to Phuket. It actually cost me less than 300!!
Also, Check out the Greek Taverna in the way to Saladan! Great food And a wonderful family run place!

Sriraya was my first stop and it was the perfect choice. I great way to unwind and get into the laid back island mindset :)) Enjoy the peacefulness!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Eurolanta White Rock Resort
Lanta Wild Beach Resort
Lanta Wild Beach Resort
#14 of 151 in Ko Lanta

Been to Sriraya Guesthouse? Share your experiences!