“Total Chill Out”

Ranked #2 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Long Buckby, United Kingdom
“Total Chill Out”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We were picked up from the Sheraton at Krabi by the Pimalai's own air conditioned transport and then taken to their own private jetty for the speedboat transfer to the resort, faultless and worth the little extra cost!!
From then on the holiday just got better! Surroundings amazing, Staff fantastic and nothing was too much trouble for anyone. Our daughter was getting married here and the whole ceremony was perfect, cannot think of anywhere better!!
The infinity pool was amazing and I found the level of service to be just about perfect, not too intrusive but there in the background when you needed them, good food, great selection of drinls and what a back drop!
The beaches were perfect and in either direction you could find great little bars / restaurants, 'same, same' is well worth a visit.
Truly the best hotel that I have ever stayed at and with service to match.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
franck d, General Manager at Pimalai Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Sawasdee SandyHD for Colchester.
Many thanks for placing your nice review; it comes at the right time and will help to discredit the recent one placed by a nasty person a few days ago “non accommodating service”, to which I have now replied (please take the time to read) and for which I will also do my very best to have it removed from T.A .
Very happy to have you all here and glad to read you enjoy the wedding; my best wishes to the Spencer & Kathryn, the married couple. Sunny rgds from Lanta. Franck

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed March 10, 2014

My husband I got married in krabi, Thailand and we chose Pimalai as our Honeymoon destination. We booked through Andaman Sky where we got the best deal and great service. We where not disappointed! Its a long haul from Ao Nang town by Ferry and then a further 40 min drive by taxi from the port to the hotel. If I had to book again, I would book the speed boat through Pimalai. Its worth it. Great welcome from very friendly staff with welcome drinks and a free room upgrade. Our room was beautiful. It was tastfully decorated "Thai" style with a gorgeous bathroom and outdoor shower and direct beach access. Great honeymoon deocrations, free champagne (thank you!) and a gorgeous cake! It was love at first sight! The resort is massive and you will need to catch on the tuk tuks to get around. They are fun though and they also advertise their specials inside everyday. We booked a 2 hour couples massage at the spa and this was great, albeit a little expensive. We also hired motor bikes and explored the whole of Ko Lanta (This takes a day max!) and we found a gorgeous waterfall and cave to explore about 5 minutes from the hotel. The pool at the seven seas is out of this world! Lizzards are everywhere! Very cool to see. Cocktails and food at the pool was extremely over priced compared to the local areas and tasted exactly the same, but when on honeymoon you dont mind a little splurge. Sunsets where amazing! We had dinner at the seven seas for my birthday and although the food and service was great, I have to admit that it was insanely over priced for the amount of food one received and we did feel cheated. Especially because it was my birthday and the restruant manager didnt even do anything special for us. There was a devine cake in our fridge when we got back to our room though that made me smile :) Breakfasts at the seven seas was INCREDIBLE! Food = amazing. Staff = a little slow, although very helpful, we had to ask for coffee 3 times every morning before we actually got it. The view and food makes up for it though. We loved the morning newsletters - great touch! Frank (The manager) came past and chatted for a while. He was very pleasant and a great host. Other food places nearby where the WHY NOT bar (great fun!) and the SAME SAME (Really good thai food but service was lacking) To sum up our trip = Its a quiet paradise. We would come back but we will have to save up A LOT of money again. Thank you for having us.

Room Tip: All rooms are great
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HayleyT-Rex
Dear Camley from Durban ;
Noted point on cocktails which we are currently reviewing as far as taste & presentation are concerned. Thank you for praising the staff.
Thank you for your visit . Sunny rgds from Lanta. Franck
Reviewed March 10, 2014

During 14 days on 5 star Hotels in Phuket/Krabi/Koh Lanta - this was the best pool Villa I found.
Beautiful beach and facilitiies.
I stayed 6 days in a pool villa with a fantastic view and a large pool - great rooms and living areas.
I extended the stay because of the great villa. Very good restaurants, very good service and attention from management that is visibel through-out the day. The Spa is excellent and great Yoga instructor. Overall you get an experience of a very professional 5 star hotel and management on a level that is very rarely found most places.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Jteilmann
Sawasdee Jteilmann to you and your family ;
Still not there we want to be and working daily on getting better & better. Sunny rgds from Lanta. Franck
London
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed here as a part of our final luxury week...

Pros -
It's in a fab area of the island - there's a great little cluster of restaurants and Tiki-style bars within a 5 min walk, plus a few other eating/ drinking options along the beach. The location ended up being the most appealing aspect for us. Nothing seemed to be particularly 'late night', so I wouldn't recommend the area if you're looking for a party place, but it's great if you want to kick off your flip flops and relax around an island village, but retreat back to a bit of luxury afterwards!

The beach was always 2/3 empty... we became so spoilt having it pretty much to ourselves!

Both infinity pools have amazing views, and we also had two great lunches at the beachfront Rak Talay restaurant. We were often cooled with chilled, scented towels which were a lovely touch upon arrival and when eating during the daytime.

Cons (if being picky!) -
Certain elements of the hotel weren't totally polished. Poolside/ beach service felt limited (we always had to search for people when we needed a drink, whereby I'd usually expect there to be an element of service 'to hand'), water features weren't running, the carp pool looked neglected and plastic bags were showing underneath the sand at the very front of the resort (once getting off the jetty) which looked terrible.

It's generally a very quiet hotel - you could literally hear a pin drop around the pool on one afternoon, which we actually found a little stiff. This is just our personal taste though, and was certainly offering an adult, relaxing environment.

And lastly, I was really looking forward to a daily yoga class, but unfortunately the teacher was sick. Totally not the hotels fault, but it would have been great to have a replacement as this is specifically something that I'd been looking forward to.

It's certainly a good 5* hotel, but sometimes just didn't hit that 'faultless' luxury 5 star status that I've experienced elsewhere.

Having said that, we would return for a few nights if re-visiting Koh Lanta (which we totally plan to do!). The Pimalai felt special, has a fantastic location and we'd highly recommend the hotel for a quiet retreat.

Room Tip: We had a garden/ jungle facing standard which was really close to the beach. Was great for what we n...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank holidayfun85
Thks for the review holidayfun 85 from Uk ; right about the sand bag that protect the area during king tides - we will get the tractor to refill and cover the bits and pieces plastic that appears.
Sorry about the waterfall feature ; indeed it has been turned off as there is leak somewhere we have not been able to find yet and with the extreme dry season we are having saving water..but good point, as i will put a note to explain current guests. No excuse for beach service , we will work on that to improve. Thank you for your valuable contribution. Sunny Rgds from Lanta. Franck
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2014

We stayed here in February and it was the last stop on our 3 week trip. We spent 9 days soaking up the sun and enjoying the hotel surroundings. This is a 5 star hotel. Just. It has every thing you would expect from a five star hotel but just lacks a little refinement. The pool is great but not fantastic. The rooms are spacious and lovely but not fabulous. The bar is good but not amazing. The Spa, however, is tremendous and beats anything we've ever been to.

We arranged our transfers through the hotel and we weren't disappointed. A luxury shared taxi to the private dock (50 mins) and then a speedboat (35 min) direct to the hotel jetty. When i compared the prices for a local transfer (taxi-ferry-taxi) the hotel did come out more expensive but it was the best way to arrive at your hotel and really adds to the experience. On our way home we met a couple who had used the local ferry to get to the hotel. They were on the Pimalai speedboat back to Krabi so i guess that says it all. They said the ferry was more for the backpackers.

We stayed in a standard room that backed onto the jungle. We had a small view of the sea but we spent little time in the room. Keep your eyes for the monkeys. They really are there! We looked every day and eventually they appeared. There's more than enough room for an additional 2 small people should you be traveling with children. The TV channels are not great but if you have a computer they do have ports to connect, just remember to bring the cable.

The restaurants at the hotel are what you would expect. Quite expensive given the surroundings. There are at least 4 other restaurants on the beach within a 5 min walk. Local prices and very good. We only every had breakfast at the hotel but that was great and the staff were very sweet.

Overall the hotel is lovely. Its maybe a little lacking in atmosphere but i think that's more to do with the type of people staying there rather than the hotel itself. There were plenty of honeymooners and couples with young children. We were surprised at the number of children given that this is not advertised as a child friendly hotel as such. That said we managed to find a quite spot during the day.

This is a nice hotel and by far one of the best locations on Koh Lanta. Its simple 5 star but we loved it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
franck d, General Manager at Pimalai Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Travel Hippos. Many thanks for placing your nice review; it comes at the right time and will help to discredit the recent review placed by a nasty person a few days ago “non accommodating service”, to which I have now replied (please take the time to read) and for which I will also do my very best to have it removed from T.A .
Indeed , quite a lot of kids this year. This happens especially at time of European holidays / also at time of Chinese New Year during which expat families living nearby Thailand take a short flight to visit us. Sorry about the monkeys! Can be quite cheeky sometimes. Thanks for staying with us. Sunny rgds from Lanta! Franck
Rhode Island
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We had been wondering if there was such a thing as a quiet, remote beach in Thailand - since there's no such thing as a private beach. This is far enough from Krabi and any other place to grab a longboat, ferry or launch - the only traffic from boats are the few sailboats that drop anchor just off shore.
The food, spa…everything at Pimalai is outstanding. Leave your market adventures for Chiang Mai or other areas. This is a place to relax and just enjoy the sea, by kayak, snorkeling or sailboat.

Room Tip: if you like to having a breeze and prefer the pool to salt water - choose the hillside/pool villas...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Foodi 33 from Rhode ; Many thanks for placing your nice review; it comes at the right time and will help to discredit the recent review placed by a nasty person a few days ago “non accommodating service”, to which I have now replied (please take the time to read) and for which I will also do my very best to have it removed from T.A ....
Indeed could almost like a private beach ;the resort owns 900 front beach out of 1100 meters...so looks like private and very peaceful . Thank you for staying with us. Sunny Rgds from Lanta. Franck
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2014

My husband and I have recently returned from an all too short visit to Pimalai. We stayed in a Pavillion Suite which was literally steps away from the beautiful beach. The suite itself is very spacious and well appointed offering a stunning sea view outlook - nothing quite as romantic as sitting on your private veranda viewing the sunset sipping a glass of wine with the person you love.

Pimalai is quite simply paradise, built with great respect for the surrounding natural habitat. The restaurants were excellent although we ate mostly in the Spice N'Rice Thai restaurant (we were in Thailand after all and also happen to love Thai food) were we experienced the most exquisite food and attentative and friendly service.

We also visited the Spa which was excellent and the treatment areas which were located along pretty walkways were peaceful and beautiful. The quality of the treatments was excellent.

One thing I would like to mention that I found in the literature in our room is that more than half of the employees at Pimalai are local to the immediate area and often employed straight from school. I believe that they are offered further education in English as well as training at the hotel and I have to say that rarely have I come across more genuinely willing to please staff than at Pimalai.

So anyway, next year I have a date with my husband, same time same place ...

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Marie_Clancas from Preston ; Many thanks for placing your nice review; it comes at the right time and will help to discredit the recent review placed by a nasty person a few days ago “non accommodating service”, to which I have now replied (please take the time to read) and for which I will also do my very best to have it removed from T.A .
So thank you for the great review & for highlighting/ praising the staff - indeed more that 50% originates from the island and we spend a great deal of time in training them and bringing them to the level where they are; challenging but rewarding as they remain loyal to us. Look forward seeing you back sometimes in the future. Sunny Rgds from Lanta. Franck