“A real piece of heaven”

Pimalai Resort and Spa
Ranked #2 of 85 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Just came back from Pimalai with my husband and 3 kids. Earlier I was afraid that this resort is not suitable for family, turns out that they have kids corner (free), sandy beach, all water sports (free) available so my teenagers can enjoy beach freely while their's youngest sister can stay in pool or kid's corner.

The journey to reach Pimalai itself was amazing too since we got to ride on their private boat. U have to pre arrange the private transfer from this hotel.

The resort is amazing, all nature with hills, big tall tree and long sandy beach just within walking distance. So u will never miss you work out even tho you are on holiday since it will challenge u to walk to hill side to have bfast from your villa on the beach side. And they even give free yoga class for first timer !!

Tip : go there on low season, cheaper price and less crowded.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Noveena S
Write a ReviewReviews (2,141)

Reviewed July 5, 2013

This is the second time we have visited Pimalai, the last time we came, 2 years, I also reviewed the resort afterwards, see my other review for more. Not much to add, except that the resort is still in excellent condition and that the service levels are still tip-top. This time, as last, we booked through Andaman Sky (who again got us a very low price, well, the price was not low, except when compared to other online sources we investigated) as part of a multiple destination holiday - this time we also went to Koh Yao Noi and to Ao Nang. Again our agent got us the best 2 bedroom pool villa at Pimalai, well it seems to be that way to us as it is pretty near the resort's upper breakfast room and upper pool, so no need to hang around waiting for buggy rides. The view from our villa was great too - not another building in sight, just jungle and sea, particularly great at sunset, which is magnificent here.

Room Tip: Book with Andaman Sky (you can find them on google easily enough), they are the experts on this reso...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My partner and I recently came from a 5-day, 4-night stay at the Pimalai, with a booking in one of the Pool Villas. Nestled on a hill, the Pool Villas are surrounded by lush greenery and offer a breathtaking view of the beach, the horizon and the sunset.
The spacious one-bedroom pool villa has two showers and toilets, a cozy living room, an impressive four-poster bed, its own saltwater pool,and even a small kitchen, if you fancy doing your own cooking (the resort will gladly go to the market for you for anything you might need). But cooking won't be really be necessary with the great choices offered in the resort's various restaurants. I'm vegetarian and found enough vegetarian dishes to my liking. The resort's executive chef even came up with a special salad dish for me one time for dinner at Rak Talay, the resort's beachside restaurant.
What probably made our stay at the Pimalai extra-special is their efficient staff. Everyone, from the representative at the airport to the driver to the restaurant wait staff to the chefs to the general manager were very friendly, attentive and attuned to the needs of their guests. I ordered room service one night and the operator noticed, over the phone, that I was coughing; she then sent up a pot of hot water, lemon and honey along with the food I ordered to help with my cough. For breakfast each morning we were there, I would always order a bowl of miso soup. By the third or fourth morning, the chefs already knew to bring a bowl to my table even without being asked. That kind of extra service, is what separates a great hotel/resort from a good one.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AniK01
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My wife and four children have just returned from a week at Pimalai and in a word, heaven! This was the 3rd time my wife and I have visited Pimalai, the first time 10 years ago, then 7.5 years ago for our honeymoon and now with our four children.

We weren't sure what to expect coming with small kids after only visiting as a couple. We stayed in a pool villa which sits high on the hill with stunning views out over jungle and the Andaman sea over the infinity edged private pool. The rooms very large and well furnished with excellent 4 poster beds, we highly recommend the pool villas.

Everything about Pimalai is amazing, the friendly service of all the staff intent on making your stay fabulous, the natural setting with the most spectacular views, excellent spa, beautiful pools and awesome food! I know it sounds like I'm raving, and that's because I am. We love everything about this resort, we will definitely be back for a forth visit.

Tip - make sure you organize the private transfer from krabi airport. It can be quite a trip to get to pimalai but the private transfer makes it enjoyable.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Getting here takes quite some time for around 2 hours (1 hour something for a car ride and the rest on a boat ride), but it's worth it after I woke up in the next morning.

Took a pool villa on the hillside. The view is superb. The open bathroom with a partition from the pool is another remark. Feels like you are taking a shower up in the air when opening the window for the sea view.

Some drawback is on the restaurant on the higher level that they have a dress code. Explained to the manager that taking a long way to a resort so far away in Koh Lanta isn't easy and we should forget about something formal. Anyway, the Thai restaurant in the lower level is pretty good for dinner though.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank whispalms
Reviewed June 29, 2013

For us Pimalai was perfect in every way.

Following a pleasant private transfer (approximately 2 hours via road and 2 car ferries from the Krabi Airport), we arrived at the Pimalai Resort to be greeted with a heartfelt ‘Sawatdee’, warm smiles and the gorgeous perfume of an orchid lei placed around our necks. After a refreshing cool drink we were shown to our beautiful villa at the top of the mountain. The view from our private pool deck was amazing and the first thought that popped to mind was “yep, we can definitely get used to this”, and that we did. For the next two weeks we woke to this gorgeous view and at the end of each day enjoyed a cool relaxing drink while watching the most vibrant sunsets imaginable.

Our stay was in villa 810/811, a two bedroom private pool villa that we shared with our two teenage children and which we can definitely recommend. The design of the bedrooms and living areas of the villa are all separate dwellings with their own outside entrances from within your private courtyard. While this worked for us, is should be noted that it may not be the perfect sleeping arrangement if travelling with very young children. The villa was cleaned by lovely house-keeping staff every mid-morning and again tidied in the evening, when the beds were turned down. There were always fresh flowers in every room and complementary fresh fruit left in our living room. Complementary bottled water was also supplied in the villa for the duration of our stay.

The resort itself is beautifully laid out. The hillside private pool villas besides having fantastic views are very private. Yes it is true it is an uphill/downhill walk but we did not find this a bother (when all you’re doing is eating and lazing, a little walk is a positive) – if you are feeling particularly lazy however, you may always ask for a car to take you to your resort destination.

Many people warn of travelling to Thailand in the low or monsoon season, but in all honesty, during our two week stay we only had three partially overcast days with one night and a couple of daytime hours of rain. The temperatures were mostly around 32C with pleasant sea breezes. The bonus of travelling at this time, besides cheaper accommodation, are the lack of crowds; there were times we felt like Pimalai was our own private resort :) which also made for very prompt service – which was at all times impeccable.

All the restaurants at the resort were lovely. ‘The Seven Seas’ with its perfect view, the beach restaurant ‘Rak Talay’, ‘The Banyan Tree’ or by night the ‘Spice and Rice’ (our favourite for authentic Thai) were all serviced by very hospitable staff. Reading ‘The Tide Post’ (Pimalai’s Blog) every morning over breakfast was very enjoyable, with its wealth of local information and laid-back humour. Other nice gestures were the frequent complementary water refills and fruit platters offered around the two main pools and the beach (the little things that count).

When not lazing, we enjoyed a snorkelling day trip around the islands with a lovely onboard BBQ, an Elephant Safari ride (both booked through Pimalai) and frequent free beach activities such as volleyball, kayaking and bodyboarding. The tennis, badminton and basketball courts, croquet, table-tennis and a gym were other activities which kept the family amused.

We immensely enjoyed the occasional visit from the very cheeky monkeys – great photo opportunity, as well as the occasional and very relaxing massage at the Pimalai Spa - also an activity not to be missed :)

We had a fantastic holiday and recommend Pimalai wholeheartedly. Thank you to all the Pimalai staff for the happy memories and an especially big thank you for the surprise birthday cake to celebrate a very special and memorable birthday.

Room Tip: Hilltop Private pool Villas have great views.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Like marcsanderson below we also went and booked through andaman sky adventures after our son found them for us on the internet, we didn't have the luxury of a pool villa, but we were well pleased with our Deluxe, especially seeing as we got an upstairs one with a view of the sea, nice one to our agent, who also got us a low price (well, it wasn't as if it was exactly cheap, but what do you expect if you want to lap up the luxury in a posh resort)? Room had all mod cons too and was very comfy, though I could say that I thought the toned-down paint colours everywhere were a bit boring, I like a more modern hotel room with more colourful walls and more of a steel and chrome up-to-the-minute feel, I don't like to get behind the times. But I don't want to sound like I'm moaning 'cos i ain't, this is a great resort and spa and we would go back in a jiffy.

Favourite thing about this hotel and spa was the location, to the south end of Kantiang beach, in the middle of the beach there's wasn't most of the time at least anybody else there aside from us and nobody at all in the evenings when we went for our evening walk, and there aren't any buildings on it either, very beautiful and scenically imposing beach, maybe the best one i've stayed at if you take into account the luxurious atmosphere and top-of-the-line luxury about staying at a top 5 star resort like Pimalai.

Management were nice and friendly too, not stuck up like some places I've been, expecting you to dress up when on holiday and paying through the nose. Staff were just lovely, couldn't say as I've ever been treated better anywhere else, made us feel like royalty they did. This resort and spa stay was a present from our eldest lad Gary, thanks to him too for a great stay.

Room Tip: Get a Deluxe with a view, for more about which are the best see my description above.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple