“Awesome people and great chill out spot”

Klong Khong Bay Bungalows
Klong Khong Bay Bungalows
Ranked #148 of 212 Specialty Lodging in Ko Lanta
San Diego, California
“Awesome people and great chill out spot”
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I found Klong Khong Bungalows to be one of my favorite chill spots in Thailand. I have been back many times over and now consider the owners and staff close friends and a family away from home. They usually have live music and play a lot of Thai reggae music as well as favorite covers. When there isnt live music, they are happy to let people play their own mp3 players. A lot of people are discouraged from Lanta in the low season because it's quieter, but I prefer it. The rates are lower and you can have the place to you and your group to just relax in the hammocks and enjoy the sunsets listening to music and enjoying drinks. The owner is always great to enjoy a drink with in the evening and can make some fabulous mashed potatoes if youre lucky enough to be around for them. I love taking some time to unwind and relax in Lanta and consider Klong Khong the perfect spot to be away from it all but still close enough to the town, food and other beaches.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jroBAMF

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 14, 2012

This is a really nice place to go, chill out and meet some cool people. We would just relax in the hammocks while some very talented musicians would play great songs around us. There was some great Thai reggae, which was special. Many of the other places I've been in Thailand felt like just another beach resort, but when I stayed here I really felt like I was in Thailand.

I really enjoyed the banter when around the bar, and they were always happy to let customers put on their own music.

They'd usually have a party every week with live music and a bbq. Sometimes the music would play late, but we usually stayed up anyway so it was no problem for us.

The people there made us feel like we were part of the family. I made many great friends staying there and that has a lot to do with the relaxed environment.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Andrew B
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2012

My girlfriend and I travelled to Koh Lanta in April we were a bit apprehensive because we were told it was low season but we were pleasantly surprised when we found Klong Khong Bay Bungalows. We immediately felt welcomed and relaxed. We had been travelling for over a year and it was so nice to find a place we now call our second home. Because it was low season we were able to cook our own food in the bungalows kitchen which was perfect as we were coming to the end of our trip and were low on funds!. We were able to listen to our own music in the bar when there was no live music. The clean and cozy Thai style beach bungalows were reasonably priced there are three different style bungalows at different prices which was great! We were able to choose which style and price that suited us. The location was perfect right at the end of Klong Khong beach its close to everything but hidden away so we got the real Thai beach experience. We loved the beach bar and spent most of our time hanging out in the hammocks listening to music and chatting with the local Thai staff. We enjoyed ourselves so much we stayed an extra three nights. It was the perfect way to end a great trip and we would recomend Klong Khong Bay Bungalows to any one who is looking to meet wonderful people, chill out and have a lot of fun! We will be back for sure.

Room Tip: There were three types of bungalows so take your pick! We found the bamboo ones that were insulated...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Malcom F
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 8, 2012

It was for sure the worst place i've been in all my staying around SE Asia (5 months). They have great marketing. Everything looks good in their website/flyer/pictures. But once you get the place, you wanna get out of there immediately. I don't have anything good to say about this place. Well, the beach is ok. Their fan "bungalow" is not a proper bungalow. They have 2 horrible huts with fan. Full of holes so you probably will go to sleep with all kind of bugs. It was the worst place ever. I was in crappy places but that was too much. I stayed just one night at the aircon bungalow (with a huge hole in the window). It was VERY basic and overpriced.

They advertise a restaurant. Not true, they don't have one. They have a plastic table with 4 chairs. That's it. They advertise a pool table and a "bar" The bar it's just a cpl of hammocks. And no pool table. I had a HORRIBLE experience. There are so many places to go in Koh Lanta, don't try this one. The few guests there were so uncomfortable. A spanish couple booked 6 nights because of their good marketing. I don't want to imagine a week in that crappy place. They obviously was really extremely disappointed.

I think these people have to learn how to run a business. Thailand is a great country, full of amazing/inexpensive guesthouses/hostels/bungalows/bedandbreakfasts. That's why I was in shock after I met the owner (an Irish woman). I can't understand how western people run a place like this.

My worst experience in SE Asia

Room Tip: if you choose this place. don't go to the fan bungalow
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo