“Overpriced & overrated”

Ling Uan (Fat Monkey)
Ranked #15 of 367 Restaurants in Ko Lanta
Cuisines: European, Thai
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A spacious bar and restaurant set by the road midway down the Klong Dao. Serving Classical Thai cuisine as well as half pound homemade burgers, Italian pizza and fresh pasta & salads. The dining area and bar are set amongst tropical plants and fish ponds. The perfect place to enjoy a great meal or relax with a delicious cocktail. Space for large groups and child friendly.
Reviewed December 10, 2013

We went to Fat Monkey based on recommendations and because some of us wanted to try the "great" burgers there after a week of thai-food. The service is really unattending, and a big blackboard on the wall says "we don't do "family one, family two", if you can't split your bill, we can borrow a calculator". I would understand this in a crowded bar... but not in a half-empty restaurant.

The food is average at the best. I ordered shrimp cakes and a tuna-sashimi salad. The cakes were ok, the salad poor. Max 80 grams of tuna and beensprouts - only dressed with honey... so no flavor at all and almost nothing to eat - 390baths! The burgers were big, but the meat-quality very poor.

If you don't want to spend 3 times as much as in a really good restaurant to an average food and get really unattending service, don't bother. The free wifi does not work either.

William A, Owner at Ling Uan (Fat Monkey), responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to review our restaurant, I'm sorry that we weren't up to scratch.
I'd like to tackle you comments briefly and one at a time:

Un-attending service
Wowzers, hopefully you caught us on a bad day there. We have been having problems finding waiting staff over the past months. This is always an issue you on a seasonal Island. If you could help us out and tell us exactly when you visited I can work out the reason for the poor service. I think it is either that the waitress was new and inexperienced or not here at all and my wife was trying her best to cover for them. Either way I can only apologize for this we try to be as attending as possible.

The blackboard!
Yes we have a blackboard and it says this "Sorry, we do not do the family 1, family 2 "Thing". It is too complicated, we do write all our bills in English and you are welcome to borrow a calculator if you need to, Thank you x" - We work in two languages and use two kitchens, it slows us down and causes confusion when we try to run multiple bills for tables which leads to delays with food orders and increases potential for error when we are busy. (I am aware that when you visited we were not busy but we do get very busy). I have always found it quite simple to split bills with friends when dining out, usually just 50 - 50 or whatever...... (The sign is written in a light hearted and friendly way, certainly it is not meant to cause offence)

Tuna Salad
I have to disagree with you here as I made this myself (Always do, If I'm not here we don't open). I weigh and slice the Tuna (Proper Sashimi Tuna) minimum 150g along with half a tasty avocado some mixed leaves, cherry tomatoes, beansprouts and dressed with a honey, sesame and soy reduction. I make the dressing myself and it sure as hell is not just honey! It is in my opinion delicious. Anyhow you were also served alongside a healthy amount of wasabi and Japanese soy to spice it up. WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY SOMETHING? I can only assume because we were so un-attending. About the price, that's your opinion I calculate my prices relative to the cost, its still cheaper than the same dish in europe and we manage to do it on a tropical Island where transport/purchase/storage costs are much higher.

Burgers
We are well known for our burgers both by their size and quality. We use locally sourced beef which is ground specifically for us, I can only apologize if there was a problem with the meat. I can only guess that you were terribly unlucky and somehow you got a duff burger, I am so sorry for that. IF YOU HAD TOLD ME I WOULD HAVE FIXED IT, oh sorry yes un-attending again.....

WIFI
Yeah works all the time for me although some parts of the restaurant get a better signal, sometimes the Island experiences general internet connection problems. Either way if you had asked I would have tried to help, I have a laptop available if you really need to connect...

3 times the price of a really good restaurant
Half pound homemade burger in paradise =' 230bt (7 euros)
so your "really good" restaurant would be 75bt (2.3 euros)
Can you point me towards that place I need to go there!

Seriously though, I am sorry that we disappointed you. I am however in the restaurant all evening every day and only wish you had given us the opportunity to make your experience better at the time.

Yes I can be a bit sarcastic but i promise I have also noted the issues raised and we will do better next time, Lots of love Will, Ning and all the other monkeys xx

Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

Very tasty food, good drinks, very friendly and competent (and happy) staff and good music. And they have a generator :) two thumbs up.

William A, Owner at Ling Uan (Fat Monkey), responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to post this review, we really do appreciate it! Its always fun when the power goes out on Lanta, its nights like last night that we enjoy most I think. Nice to have a good bunch of people in the bar and yes that generator was one of my better ideas :)

Thanks again and hope to see you soon

Will, Ning and the team

Reviewed November 16, 2013

I've been looking for a bar which can provide me a drink called Juicy fruit in that special kind of way I had it for the first time in Hawaii and this was the first one and actually the only one, which really provides. In every aspect.

The staff is friendly and funny, they make excellent cocktails and the whole athmosphere is friendly and comfortable.

I'm totally going to try out the food tomorrow in Fat Monkey and as far as I have my expectations, it's gonna be mindbending!!!!!!

If I could give 6/5, I'd give 7!

William A, Owner at Ling Uan (Fat Monkey), responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2013

Awesome news Henrik
Thank you for taking the time to post this review, just last night I was re-reading the last review which was a bit of a downer. Waking up today and logging on to see this was a real nice start to my day! Look forward to seeing you guys this evening and I hope our food lives up to your mindbending expectations!
Thanks again
Will and the team x

Reviewed November 1, 2013

imho this restaurants is overrated. it was a very very long wait for something simple like coke, bad steak, average food and the worst thing- their coktails are made from cheap thai drinks, ie baileys is i fact not baileys etc. For us this was the worst restaurant at Lanta, there are much better places at Lanta, sorry.

1  Thank V2323
William A, Owner at Ling Uan (Fat Monkey), responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Uh Oh!
Thanks for taking the time to let us know about these problems, I find it quite remarkable however that you didn't say most of this to me when I took the time to come and talk to you when we were all rushed off our feet!

Ok you mentioned it took some time to get drinks, to which I explained that we were short staffed and very busy, both me and my wife running around with the staff all of us doing our very best (apparently not enough)...... You smiled and should sympathy and understanding (apparently not)

Regarding the steak:
Yes I agree the steak was not the best and we slipped up, I had asked my wife to reduce the price of the steak for the day and explain to guests that we could not get a new side until today. In her haste she forgot to tell you about this, for this I must apologise.

Cheap Thai Drinks:
Yes it is true we stock both real Baileys and the Thai imitation stuff, some of our drinks call for the cheaper thai product as some of our bar customers prefer the better value drinks. Last night we ran out of real Baileys and my wife not wishing to disappoint used the Thai version. She then came to tell me and I said this was wrong and she sent a member of staff out to buy the real Baileys which we then served to you for free. I am a professional cocktail bartender for 13yrs and hold WSET formal qualifications. I am proud to stock some seriously good quality spirits (more than 100 in our selection) and the thai products are used solely for budget drinks and shots in the bar.

Anyway I'm sorry you think we are the worst restaurant on Lanta.
I'm sorry that you think we are overated.
I am also sorry that you couldn't take the time to be constructive and talk to me more about the issues than you did.
I am also sorry that you could look me in the eye and tell me everything was fine and that you understood the problems we were facing last night and then post a "worst place on Lanta" review the next day.
Makes me sad, please come back and I'll cook you a much better steak for free (but only if you come down from well done to Medium ;P )
Much love
Will

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Staying in Pra Ae, we jumped in a tuk tuk and asked to be taken to a restaurant with good food and this is where we were taken. To cut a long story short it was just what we were looking for, with Thai and Western dishes both done well. This place is great for westerners wanting some homely food. You had to wait a little while to order food and drinks and to receive food but you could tell the staff were working hard and they were happy and friendly. It was nice not to have ten staff watching you eat and then snatching your plates away before you've had a chance to put down your knife and fork which we've found nearly everywhere. It was a little pricey but then it was well worth it and cheaper than a meal of the same at home. We will be returning! Also I loved the tie-dye light shades!

1  Thank Laura P