“not too good”

Ling Uan (Fat Monkey)
Ranked #12 of 337 Restaurants in Ko Lanta
Cuisines: European, Thai
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A spacious bar and restaurant set by the road midway down the Klong Dao. Serving Classical Thai cuisine as well as half pound homemade burgers, Italian pizza and fresh pasta & salads. The dining area and bar are set amongst tropical plants and fish ponds. The perfect place to enjoy a great meal or relax with a delicious cocktail. Space for large groups and child friendly.
Reviewed November 1, 2013

imho this restaurants is overrated. it was a very very long wait for something simple like coke, bad steak, average food and the worst thing- their coktails are made from cheap thai drinks, ie baileys is i fact not baileys etc. For us this was the worst restaurant at Lanta, there are much better places at Lanta, sorry.

1  Thank V2323
William A, Owner at Ling Uan (Fat Monkey), responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Uh Oh!
Thanks for taking the time to let us know about these problems, I find it quite remarkable however that you didn't say most of this to me when I took the time to come and talk to you when we were all rushed off our feet!

Ok you mentioned it took some time to get drinks, to which I explained that we were short staffed and very busy, both me and my wife running around with the staff all of us doing our very best (apparently not enough)...... You smiled and should sympathy and understanding (apparently not)

Regarding the steak:
Yes I agree the steak was not the best and we slipped up, I had asked my wife to reduce the price of the steak for the day and explain to guests that we could not get a new side until today. In her haste she forgot to tell you about this, for this I must apologise.

Cheap Thai Drinks:
Yes it is true we stock both real Baileys and the Thai imitation stuff, some of our drinks call for the cheaper thai product as some of our bar customers prefer the better value drinks. Last night we ran out of real Baileys and my wife not wishing to disappoint used the Thai version. She then came to tell me and I said this was wrong and she sent a member of staff out to buy the real Baileys which we then served to you for free. I am a professional cocktail bartender for 13yrs and hold WSET formal qualifications. I am proud to stock some seriously good quality spirits (more than 100 in our selection) and the thai products are used solely for budget drinks and shots in the bar.

Anyway I'm sorry you think we are the worst restaurant on Lanta.
I'm sorry that you think we are overated.
I am also sorry that you couldn't take the time to be constructive and talk to me more about the issues than you did.
I am also sorry that you could look me in the eye and tell me everything was fine and that you understood the problems we were facing last night and then post a "worst place on Lanta" review the next day.
Makes me sad, please come back and I'll cook you a much better steak for free (but only if you come down from well done to Medium ;P )
Much love
Will

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Staying in Pra Ae, we jumped in a tuk tuk and asked to be taken to a restaurant with good food and this is where we were taken. To cut a long story short it was just what we were looking for, with Thai and Western dishes both done well. This place is great for westerners wanting some homely food. You had to wait a little while to order food and drinks and to receive food but you could tell the staff were working hard and they were happy and friendly. It was nice not to have ten staff watching you eat and then snatching your plates away before you've had a chance to put down your knife and fork which we've found nearly everywhere. It was a little pricey but then it was well worth it and cheaper than a meal of the same at home. We will be returning! Also I loved the tie-dye light shades!

1  Thank Laura P
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This place stands out as a decent place right away.
We visited in the low season, so not much people anywhere really.
Owned and runned(?) by a British/Thai couple. They serve both thai dishes, western dishes and what I think are combinations.
I asked about the sea food (because I was convinced sea food @ Lanta was the best), but got ensured that sea food here (or any mediteranian place) lacked taste, and the dish itself contained the taste, so I could choose any type of meat and be safe it would taste great.

So we ordered three dishes; "Duck geang", "chicken massaman" and fried beef with vegetables and had the house red and bottled beer.

Owner, William I think, recommended everything. And he did a good job! He was relaxed, took the time to advice us properly and make sure we had what we wante throughout the meal. He seemed like a guy that knew food in & out.
And also the rest of the staff serviced us well.
I should mention also that the thai staff was way above average with their english.

Our bill was 1200b, which is abit above what I think a meal would cost, but this is pretty decent value as the wine alone was 440b (0,5L).

Would do it again, sure!

1  Thank StorJonas
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

After trying several different restaurants on the island during our stay we finally decided to try Ling Uan.

With a great look to the place and being met by a really friendly Thai man at the bar who took us to our table.

The menu is fantastic, both content wise and layout. The staff was quick, very warm and effective.

The food, ohh dear god the food! Without a doubt the best burgers I have ever eaten! My wife chose the stuffed chicken and could not get enough of it. The portions are big/very big so you will get value for your money.

Already been there twice in two days and will go back before we go back home.

If I lived here or this place was back home I would be broke all the time.

1  Thank Njugg
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Great food and outstanding service... my family and I will be making this one of our regular places to food! The hamburgers are the best on the island and the Thai food (according to my Thai wife who knows!) was amazing. Thanks for the smiles and the great service 'ol fat one.