“People who love animals”

Lanta Animal Welfare
Ranked #1 of 48 things to do in Ko Lanta
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Lanta Animal Welfare (LAW) is a non-profit organization based on Ko Lanta. LAW's objective is to rehabilitate suffering and sick animals on the island through sterilisation and care. We are open to visitors everyday from 9am to 5pm and our volunteer staff will happily provide a guided tour of the center every hour, on the hour, between 10am and 4pm. We have lots of friendly dogs who would love a long walk and cats who would like a cuddle! (Please note there is generally no dogwalking between 11-3 as it gets too hot for them!). The dogs spend their days in grassy outdoor pens, so like everywhere in Thailand, it's best to wear insect/mosquito repellant when visiting. Our major sponsor is Time For Lime bar, restaurant and cooking school, without their valuable support we would not be here.
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Heard and read a lot about this place and finally decided to check it out. The first visit to Lanta Animal Velfare made ​​great impression on me: caring volunteers who are trying to help the animals as they can. They deserve in my opinion this respect. Then I came several times and was walking with the animals. They are all different, each with its own character and story but very nice. It would be good if the government helped and contributed money to support the center.

1  Thank Alisa E
There are newer reviews for Lanta Animal Welfare

Reviewed April 4, 2013

My boyfriend and I visited Lanta animal welfare for the day on a tour around the grounds being a massive animal lover myself, I was really looking forward to it but did worry my expectations might have been a bit high and it might have been a little grim!

On arrival, I realised that this is not the case and the place was very light, airy, welcoming and the animals looked so happy with so much space. They do a tour around each place that all of the animals are kept in every hour on the hour and the volunteers are so lovely and friendly. They seem to be very organised and customise their care for each animal individually (ie likes water, likes the beach, likes this food etc etc) and we even got to take 2 of our favourite dogs out for a walk down the river!

If we had more time on Koh Lanta I would have volunteered properly in a heartbeat or would have at least come back for another day to help out. A fantastic charity, no pressure to donate but of course we did and they had lots of lovely merchandise to purchase to take home for memories too.

Please support :)

1  Thank wigglesworldwide
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

We took the free tour and found it really interesting. I was intrigued to see how many people adopt the animals from abroad and even one couple had found a stray puppy and took it there to get it well then will be flying it back to Europe. We met some lovely animals, my favourite being a tiny kitten called marguerita. The work they do is fantastic and I will continue to support them through online donations once I am home. Well worth a visit if you're a cat or dog lover

1  Thank SGCornwall
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We went to see the work being done by the amazing volunteers at the centre and were given a great tour by brummie Chris, even if mai Tai kicked off a bit. Took cookie and lady for for a walk as well.Def worth a visit and you can help them by simply giving the cats and dogs some cuddles as well as offering service when they are adopted and need to get to the new home wherever that may be. Always worth checking whether your return flight coincides with a rehoming. They arrange it all, you just get the dog through the other side for the new owners to collect from the airport.

1  Thank Jut35
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

This is such a great place! We have been here many times during our stay. You can take the free tour every hour or just take a walk on the beach with a few dogs. We have cuddled with the cats and yesterday we brought some cat and dog food. The staff and the volunteers are really helpful and always very happy to see people who wants to help.

1  Thank Sommarkyla