“Roi Thai Cooking”

Ranked #4 of 6 Food & Drink in Ko Lanta
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Reviewed June 11, 2013

What an amazing experience that was worth every penny! We started by learning about Thai vegetables, fruit and spices. We then cooked peanut chicken skewers and peanut sauce, then ginger garlic fish and finished with Tom Ka Gai soup. If we were here longer I would take another class. Suasert was a great teacher! We are heading back for supper there tonight.

1  Thank Vanessa H

Reviewed May 6, 2013

After looking around we found that most classes ranged between 1300 TB and 1800 TB so we decided to visit a few and find out which ones we liked the most.

We came across Roi Thai which was just up the road from our hotel and right on the beach. We immediately liked the place and the Master Chef and cooking school teacher was actively involved in the restaurant. He greeted us as we walked in, wanted to know how he could help us. He gave us a full description of his restaurant and the school that he ran. The evening menus, though a little more pricey, made more sense as there was more to cook and a longer time to enjoy all the food in.

The class started around 5pm (you can get a pick up from your hotel) and finished around 9:30pm. We were introduced to the local herbs, spices and vegetables and then we got cracking with Spring Rolls. We were able to watch the sun set and enjoy our spring rolls with a cocktail before the next course.

Thereafter it was Red Curry Paste, Thai Chicken Coconut Soup, Red Thai Chicken Curry (original old style) and finally King Mackerel Fish topped with Tamarind Sauce.

By the end of the night we really felt like professional and we were all full stuffed wit the delicious food that we made. We even have a certificate to prove it and a receipt book to recreate it all for our friends at home.

Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

We were luckily the only to people attending the sunset course and had Bim as our teacher. She was very nice and had a good humor - but most important: she knew much about cooking and teached us many things about spices, herbs and explained everything we wanted to know. She said: if you cook this for friends at home and someone asks you why you do this that way, I don't want you to answere 'our teacher said so'.
The dishes were perfect - we had them on the beachfront with wonderful ocean view. The chef was also very nice, he came by and asked us, whether everything is fine and told us about "eurpean" herbs we can use instead of Thai ones we can't buy at home - very nice experience, we can not recommend enough :-)

1  Thank Stefan R
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Just back from our morning cooking class with Bim. Wow, great experience, she is kind, has huge knowledge, and not the least bit intimidating. I went with my 12 year old son, and I think he had even more fun than I did.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

I did a 3 hour course in foodcarving at Roi Thai and had Touy as my teacher. He had prepared wonderful examples of foodart although I was the only student. I felt he had a perfect balans between being funny and being serious and teaching new skills. He was encouraging me all the time but corrected my carving where necessary which is exactly as it should be in my opinion. The course was only finished after 4 hours instead of 3 because Touy was so enthousiastic and kept explaining.
It appeared this was the first time he had tought foodcarving at the school and I hope for future guests he continues. It was great and the results were pretty darn good.
A plus (and smart business) would be to be able to buy the special carving knives at Roi Thai.

2  Thank Oudemac