“Good stay on short vacation”

Crown Lanta Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I and my family stay in an Ocean Sunset Villa Room 2116 and 2117 last Friday.
The place was good and all staff was perfect especially a front desk team who was checked in me and my family. The room i had was totally perfect with a huge balcony and a nice sea view of Koh Phi Phi. i'll say, I loved the place, I do hope to visit again

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank NattapongTab

Reviewed December 6, 2013

We had a great sea-facing room. However service was not up to standard even though people were helpful. The pool was nice and the food was okay. It may be isolated since you have to walk to get to the beach.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Wow where to begin with this one. I'll start at Krabi airport where our hotel transfer forgot us. No problem, these things happen. What was slightly annoying was the inconsistent stories we received, such as 1) the didn't have our reservation and are fully booked up 2) the minibus broke down 3) the agency made an error 4) the airline made an error- this one was my favourite and was saved up upon checkout. I just smiled and said of course it was, all airlines make errors don’t they, especially Thai.

Finally when we got there we were told all was Ok and as a bonus we could have 20% all the overpriced drinks and food our stomachs and wallets could desire, which we gave a wide berth for the slightly better alternatives in town. We were also told we had a room upgrade, but hold on, when I looked at my itinerary, it was still the same room type. It did have a nice sea view though. Shame it was right next to the back of the restaurant kitchen, the restaurant must be clean out of crockery by now, the amount of plates we heard smashing away, we initially thought on our first night it must be Greek themed. But no, the theme was overpriced.

The room was a good size and so was the balcony. Where was that retched smell coming from?? We had to ask housekeeping to come and find it first and then deal with it. She dealt with that stinky drain alright with a tea light candle and removing the drain grill. Probably so we could squirt some of that cheap liquid soap refill at anything that came up it! I was wondering why there was a candle holder on the floor near the shower. I thought for a nice romantic night in, but I couldn’t have been more wrong, there would be no romance near those stinky towels.

The towels were disgraceful for a 5 star hotel, both bath and pool, all fraying and stained and old. You couldn’t believe my surprise when I saw them advertised for a mere 300 baht on the saleable items list. You couldn’t pay me 300 baht to go and put them in the trash, which wouldn't have taken long to be honest I just would have needed to walk around the corner and throw them over the wall into the landfill next door (don’t go down the road to the end of the island). The smell of rubbish is rampant down one side of the hotel, so make sure your driver has those golf carts fully powered up and steps on the gas when he swings buy the front garden, or grab one of those masks some travelers wear, definite use here.

Don’t expect a good night’s sleep here, the beds are as hard as a rock, you may as well sleep on the floor , or balcony slab, which seemed to have a bit more give actually. I tried the balcony sofa but they were much of a muchness.

Knock knock- who’s that at the door unexpected at 6pm? It’s the bug spray swat team/turn down service! 3 guys, one sprayed, one watched, one guarded the door, whilst I stood dripping wet in a towel and my partner ran off, hid and locked herself in the bathroom to avoid the whole affair. We were not getting bitten that night after they hosed down the room, that’s for sure.

Funny little cupboards that are made to catch your fingers between the dressing room and wardrobe doors. That handle is positioned so perfectly it’s almost a precision booby trap. Watch out you don’t break your fingers or rip off a nail, I managed to only jam and bruise 2 fingers.

I liked the guy at breakfast who kept trying to sell me something, every morning at (and near the pool) which at first I thought it was something slightly suspicious, the way he furtively crept up to the table, and whispered. I had to look around and ask him to repeat himself, it seemed so dodgy. But no, nothing to get excited about, just the seafood buffet dinner, which runs most nights.

Swish Swish Swish. Swish Swish Swish. Is that a monkey?? I grabbed my camera in my boxers and poked my head out the door. No, it’s those bloody bamboo brooms again that seem to have a permanent kick off time at 5am. No need for alarms here, you will be up bright and early for the seafood bbq guy. It’s a bit confusing when you see the brooms out all day, you have to wonder why they need to start so early.

The agro little driver on the transfer out did leave us with a fair consistent impression. Mind you I wouldn’t be very happy either if I was him. We were told off when he needed to stop and use the petrol station facilities. Make sure you ask the driver if HE needs to use the loo in advance before you get in the minivan. We just felt lucky to be in the van on time.

We were allowed to check out late at 4pm to make up for our very late check in on the first day which was a nice surprise I suppose. This was the worst out of 4 hotels on our stay, 3.5 star hotel at best, so definitely give this one a miss, or even the island to be honest.

5  Thank GregAndrew
Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

We only stayed for 4 nights, and despite the rain it was a lovely hotel. The reception/ duty manager was very pleasant and couldn't do enough to help, including making a dinner reservation for us.

The hotel bars and restaurants are not cheap, but then with a hotel of this quality it's expected. The breakfast has a good selection and was all good quality. The reggae bar on the beach is worth a trip too for great views.

If staying here we would recommend hiring a car to explore the island as we managed to drive the entire place in a day which was great fun.

If looking for great dining check out either the Red Snapper (15mins drive) or L.Malade (5mins) as both were fantastic options and worth a trip!

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 20, 2013

This was my 4th hotel in Koh Lanta and overall the only bad one. I booked the pool access room for three days which was great. Unfortunately, hotel management was extremely poor. Having reception call me at 8am on my second day to confirm that I'm checking-out on my third day is a poor decision. There was also some dispute about what I had used from the minibar, but my request to see the list of charged items was inexplicably refused. There were other managerial problems that occurred during my stay which were unacceptable. The food was quite poor too.

Room Tip: Pool access room. Corner ones are the most private.
Reviewed November 17, 2013

This is a great spot for a relaxing and quiet break from the world. We stayed for 5 nights in one of the deluxe suites which has a pool entry to itself. Heavenly. From the moment we arrived to a cool welcoming tea and a ride to the rooms, to the moment we left, we had a fabulous time.
The hotel is on a hilly and verdant site with amazing views on all sides of the Andaman sea. The hotel has two restaurants, where breakfast is served is on high (the Peak Restaurant) with amazing 360 degree views. The other restaurant has great views of the private beach.
The food at breakfast was superb (included in our cost) and very worth while getting.
The hotel has a gym which is well appointed with weights equipment and exercise things.
The staff, very welcoming and helpful. Everyone was so friendly.
Food/drinks, a little expensive, but the Ban Saladan town is 5 mins away by tuk-tuk and the food there is cheap and delicious, with a range of restaurants to choose from.
I would definitely go back. Brilliant place, great romantic break, the perfect place to bring your partner/wife.

Room Tip: Go for one of the rooms that has private entrance to the pool. 1122 I think is good.
1  Thank Tommo348
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Landed at pier and was transported to crown in about 10 mins, on arrival was handed a lovely ice cold drink then taken to our pool villa. Wow ! Amazing room with pool access . We went up to top pool to have some lunch with views over the beach it was lovely . We took the golf buggy it really is a hike. I walked it a couple of times in the heat and it killed me.
We hired a scooter from reception for 2 days it cost £9 a day which I later discovered I could have got for about £5 a day if I'd just gone to hotel next door. But we had a great time discovering lanta. We covered the entire island in a day, we went to elephants, waterfalls monkeys( wild mind you ) and a couple of beaches. The next day we went to bottom of Island and stopped at about 5 beaches on the way back and chilled out watching the sunset on the last one. Amazing 2 days and our favourite of the holiday .
The hotel was the most expensive of our holiday but it was the highlight and worth it. Saladan the nearest town has a couple of good restaurants . But shops shut at 9 pm ish . Overall koh lanta is lovely 3/4 days is enough to see everything but there's plenty of nice beaches to laze the days away on if your going for longer.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple