“You get a lot of value for your money!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crown Lanta Resort & Spa

Crown Lanta Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 84 Hotels in Ko Lanta
Kloten, Switzerland
“You get a lot of value for your money!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

I enjoyed my 8 days stay very much. Very nice view, friendly staff, especially Nay from the reception made a terrific job. Pool access is my favorit room!

Also food is very good, and the reggae bar has not to be missed for a cool drink during sunset. I can fully recommend this wonderfull hotel.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank msaegesser

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

We loved this hotel, but seeing the other reviews I can understand some of the issues. Firstly it is located on a point, so it is not walking distance to town (there are shuttles) and there is not easy beach access (resort is quite hilly, and access to the small private beach is down some steps - or a short walk away from the resort). Depending on where your room is, it can be a long walk (or golf cart) to get there. We were there in low season, so it was very, very quiet.

That said, it has fantastic views and great pools. Staff were extremely helpful and pleasant, and our room and plunge pool were fantastic. I would definitely stay there again if we were in Lanta. Food options were OK, and if you want something different, you can always shuttle it into town.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank David O
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

Schweee nailed her review. This was a comfortable, clean hotel, with all the amenities... but was nothing special.

In fact, it left a pretty sour taste in my mouth as the first spot on our honeymoon destination. I left thinking "this cant be it?!" This hotel is pretty generic. The rooms are standard hotel rooms where you could be anywhere in the world. The saving grace was the swim up pool, which we spent most of our time in and loved. If you don't get a room with a swim up pool, I wouldn't bother.

The staff were pretty disinterested, so it was easier a lot of the time to do things yourself. Our screen door feel off on day one, and even after pointing this out to someone, it was never fixed.

The breakfast was so ordinary (hello peas?!) that we couldn't be bothered to get up in time for it, even though it was paid for. Room service was actually pretty good, which was great, because the town was just ok and was a transfer away (speaking of, the complimentary transfers only went about 5 times a day so we just got taxis), so sometimes we just couldn't be bothered!

They did host a "Jamaican night" at a new bar on the rocky beach one night which was quite fun with cocktails and a fire twirler, but I don't know how regularly this occurs.

The beach at the resort is rocky and small and I think there are far more interesting and friendly hotels to stay at (perhaps not as luxurious) further south on the actual beautiful sandy beaches.

We agreed we wouldn't stay at Crown Lanta again, and probably would give Koh Lanta a miss. I just think there are far better places in Thailand.

Room Tip: Get one with the swim up pool!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed here for 9 days. We arrived a lot earlier than expected and to our surprise, our room was ready and they offered to make up the day bed for my 2 year old son. We found the room to be very spacious, clean and comfortable with a large balcony area. Not all staff members spoke a great deal of English, but we didn't find this a problem as they were friendly, helpful and very kind to my son. There is a good choice at breakfast and the overall quality of the food is excellent. The kids pool at the hotel is suitable for small children and the gym is adequately equipped. The private beach/cove is quite rocky but the water is very clean and still and it was very quiet as most of the guests preferred to use the pools or go Klong Dao beach, which is a 10 minute walk away. Klong Dao beach is a great family beach, as it's clean, the water is shallow and still. There are a number of hotels, restaurants and mini-marts on this beach and whilst we were there, it was never busy. The only gripe that I have is that the hotel is built on a hillside, but we didn't find it a problem, even my son managed to walk up everyday, but they do provide transport up and down if you need it. All you need to do is call from your room or ask a member of staff, we only did this occasionally as it was frequently on the move and it would just stop for us. We found it to be a good family hotel and enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Topanga, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

We chose this hotel because there are rooms that are directly on the pool. You can just walk out your door onto your deck and into the pool. This feature was wonderful and made our stay pleasant.

Other than that the hotel is rather soulless and free of personality. There is no beach access that you can swim from. It was just rather forgettable, all while being perfectly fine.

You have to pay for internet access which I always find ridiculous/infuriating. The TV had decent channels. The bed was comfortable and the bedding appeared very clean as did the rest of the room.

It is far from town, but there is a shuttle that will take you to town 3 times a day.

Out of the 3 places I stayed on Koh Lanta this was not my favorite and I think that there are much better options on Koh Lanta that are on lovely beaches and cost less.

Room Tip: The rooms that lead directly into the pool are worth it and the best thing about the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Schweee
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stayed here last week for 5 nights. We had arrived in Koh Lanta without having booked anywhere and after finding many places were full we ended up here, paying a little more than we would have first liked.

We stayed in a pool access room which was amazing. The room was spotless and a good size. We walked out of our room and onto our private patio where we had our own access to the pool.

We never used the private beech during the day as it is fairly small but the nearest sandy beech is only a ten minute walk away. One on of the private beeches is a reggae bar which was lovely and relaxing while watching the sun set and drinking two for one cocktails. It is a little bit of a walk uphill to get to this but there is always a shuttle from reception if you prefer.

The staff didn't speak much English but we didn't really have much of a problem.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Koh Lanta. I think it was worth paying that little bit more.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
NYC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

I did a lot of research on Koh Lanta hotels and really wanted and expected to like Crown Lanta. Once I got there, I found it to be very, very average and not worth the price.

The Good: The location near Saladan makes it easily accessible (more on the BAD of the location in the next section). The grounds are beautifully manicured tropical gardens, the pool for the pool-access rooms is nice and the "sunset bar" is beautiful (not that the staff bothered to mention it, I found it by accident). The food from room service was reasonably good.

The Bad or Less than Good:
1. The location - the resort has access to only one small, rocky beach. To get to any large sandy beaches (what you're going to Lanta for), you need a scooter or a tuk tuk or have a 20-25 minute walk. This resort is basically perched on a rocky hill at the northern end of the island.

2. The rooms - I had a pool access room and was decidedly underwhelmed by everything but the pool itself. The hotel changed management less than a year ago and it looks like they tried to 'freshen' the rooms a little but it's a thin and poor-quality veneer. The photos (even my own) of the room looked so much better than reality. The bathroom was bordering on gross with a cement/tile shower that barely drained. It was also dark and the vanity would be small for two people. The laminate wood-look flooring isn't doing well in the humidity and peeling up in places. The bed and pillows were rock hard. I asked if they had any different pillows available and they said they're they same throughout the resort. I had a neck and headache every morning! You have to insert your key in a slot near the door to turn on the lights and air conditioner - which means that the room gets very hot when you're away and it takes a long time to cool down again.

3. If you're in the pool access rooms, the restaurant is WAY up the hill so, it's either a hike in the heat or a wait on the carts they use to take people up and down.

4. Most of the staff either isn't well trained and doesn't know what to do half of the time or they don't care - I couldn't quite figure out which. There was only one in the lobby desk who seemed capable. It's also impossible to ask for anything by phone because their English (and I'm assuming other foreign language skills) are not very good.

5. They charged for a bucket of ICE! I have stayed in some truly fabulous hotels and some average ones and have never, ever been charged for ice! Especially ice that arrives half melted.

I would not choose this hotel again or recommend it. I wish I had chosen Costa Lanta - it was also on my list and I saw it and ate at their restaurant while there and wish that was where I had booked. That, or go way upscale to Pimalai or Layana.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo