“By far the worst place I have ever stayed”

Klong Jark Bungalows
Ranked #76 of 208 Specialty Lodging in Ko Lanta
Manchester, United Kingdom
“By far the worst place I have ever stayed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

We booked this through a tour operator on Koh Phi Phi. Big mistake. After being showed to the bungalow I could not believe this was being described as paradise. The sheets looked dirty with plastic lino on the floor. The toilet looked like a war zone. There was no cold water and having booked for two nights we left after 1 night. Although I would recommend the BBQ especially the fish, the food on the menu was very bland with not much flavour. Chicken Fried Rice and Pad Thai could not have got much worse. Also, the chef seemed to forget to cook a few dinners (Doesn't exactly make for excellent dining for two). Although some of the staff were helpful, most appeared disinterested in what they were doing, and trying to order a bottle of coke or more than one bottle of beer was a chore in itself. After deciding this was not the place for us, we checked out and asked to pay what we owed. Only to find out that when we were in the taxi, the owners were calling to say that we had not payed our bar bill. Given that we specifically asked for the bill and to pay everything we owed (they produced various receipts) I can definately say that as an overall experience this was an absolute disaster.

The beach is lovely. But there are only two taxis a day from there at 7am and 11am. I would definately recommend staying at Lanta Pavillion - amazing sunsets and cool amazing bars but still very chilled out.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Czech first
East Riding of Yorkshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed at anda Lanta resort which was a much higher standard than here - but also cost more.
We did eat here though but it was only average and the beer was more expensive than at the sunset bar at the end of the beach where happy hour starts half an hour earlier and lasts all night!
The bar staff are friendly and the guy who wears the rasta hat does a party trick of fire juggling which is pretty impressive at night and was great beach entertainment.
The tours from here are the same as the other resorts offer but at the cheapest rates and the lassie that acts as the tour agent is really nice and helpful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

We came for just 2 nights but we stayed 5 days and did not want to leave, but we had to go home.

As in previous ratings there are pro's and con's with this place but for us the plus side outweighted the bad.

Bungalow, yes very basic maybe for that price but we were there in high-season. Do not frek-out if you sometimes find some bug's in the bathroom but they are easily removed.
The place manager is awesome, helpful and friendly and speaks perfect english. The restaurant makes good food especially when there is the fish-grill. the bar is toatlly ok especially during happy-hour even if they are somewhat expensive.

The beach is really great, not too many people, calm, welcoming and nice sand and water ( and try the restaurant at the end of the beach too ). easy to try on of the tours as they pick you up at the beach. ( do the 4 island trip).

overall we had a great time and met nice people.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Brighton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

Koh lanta..is are favorite place in the world. Klong jark bungalows are extremely basic, even our bathroom shelf was held up by string...in fact it was so bad ..it's was funny. However we did not make a long booking so left when we had finished laughing which was 2 days. It's quite expensive for a shed and there are much better places on the island. However the manageress is lovely and some of her staff should perhaps try to be more like her, that is not completely miserable and staring into space. The food's ok and the guy that runs the bar is friendly, so there are good and bad points.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Munich, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

The location of the bungalows is perfect because Khlong Jaak Bay is maybe one of three bays in Ko Lanta that is not completely covered by hotels, bars , bungalows etc, plus the beach is really nice too, only very few rocks when you go in. It's a quiet place. The bungalows are simple and my air-conditioned bungalow was definetly overpriced which wouldn't be a problem in itself, only that I really felt screwd when I was asked a 200 BHT extra for hot water, which I didn't really need. ..The bungalows have a restaurant and the 'take-it-easy' bar connected. Food was ok, there was a seafood barbecue in the evening, that didn't very much convince me. Every evening the bartender put on a fire juggling show with always the same music, nothing I really need or would expect in such a location. I think you are getting the point. I can't really pin it down to sth specific but I couldn't really relax at that place and wouldn't go there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

We were three friends who started off booking just a single night at Klong Jark but ended up staying there for a week.

We arrived in the off season period in the end of september and aside from two other guests (who left the next day) we were the only people there. The resort is placed in a beautiful remote bay with a great sandy beach. It is a little remote so you either have to rent scooters or get around using taxi.

The staff mostly consists of a single family and they were absolutely lovely. Very helpful and gave good advise on what and where to go around the island. Many places you go in Thailand you feel like they try and sell you things you dont need but not at Klong Jark. They seemed really genuine and honest and gave us lots of good advise. As we were the only people there you might expect the service to be a little slow but that was not the case. Whenever we needed anything they would help us out straight away.

Also, the food is amazing. The first night we ate there they apologized saying that the real chef was not there till the high season but the food was hands down some of the best we had in our three weeks in Thailand.

The bungalows are plain and simple but for us it was perfect. The aircon worked great and the beds were comfortable. As long as you dont expect anything too luxurious you will not be disappointed.

All in all we had a really great time at Klong Jark. It was by far the most chilled and relaxing part of the holiday and we all enjoyed it immensely. As mentioned we stayed there in the off season and were pretty much the only guests so of course this is an important factor but we really left with the best impression possible of this place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

If you are looking for a layer back Thai experience, look no more. I have travelled all over Thailand for the past few months and of all the places that I have stayed the Klong Jark bungalows has been one of my favorites. I read a few reviews about people no enjoying the time they spend here. I would have to disagree. Perhaps the reason they didn't enjoy the Klong Jark bungalows was because they were looking for a 5 star resort and expected to pay 1 star prices. This place is far from a 5 star resort, but if you are looking for a relaxing place to stay i would recommend staying here. Just don't expect to be waited on hand and foot. The bungalows are simple, with no tv and no fridge....but that is the way I like it. For 600 THB per night you get a classic Thai bungalow. The employees of the Klong Jark bungalows run on something I call Thai time, meaning nothing is a huge rush. I have no problem having to get up and grab a menu in the restaurant. This is all something I enjoy because when I'm on vacation I will admit I, just like the staff, run on Thai time and have no rush to do anything. Klong Jaak bay is amazing, beautiful snorkeling not 30 meters from shore and a relaxed family oriented setting. A real Thai experience and amazing friendly and helpful staff. They even called another resort for me to make bookings. Cannot say enough about the Klong Jark bungalows. When I return to Thailand this will be my first stop.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends