“Terrible attitude and rude staff”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ko Lanta
Sang Kha Ou Resort and Spa
Ranked #169 of 208 Specialty Lodging in Ko Lanta
Luang Namtha, Laos
“Terrible attitude and rude staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2011

We arrived here looking for somewhere quiet to stay and asked to see the rooms. The manager refused to let us see the rooms before paying for a night. He said he was sick of showing people the rooms and then them not staying. We told him we were genuinely looking for a place to stay, and he insisted that he would not show us until we paid. What bad service! With this attitude it's no wonder the place is deserted and customers are unhappy.

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank DreandKaren

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
Paris
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2011

This is a terrible place to stay. I was misguided byt the review they got in the lonely planet guide.... It is not a resort, nor a spa. More like an abandonned hostel by a rocky beach....
I was charged 1000 baths/night to sleep in a dirty bamboo hut.
At night I wanted to go out to the old city to wander around and have a bite to eat. I therefore asked the staff is they could arranged transport for me, since I don't drive. They all looked at me, started to speak thai among themselves and laughed, before telling me : "Why do you wanna go there, stay here and chill". They later added : "IF someone goes to town tomorrow we'll let you know so we can drive you, but for now you stay here."
I couldn't beleive it! I was stuck there against my will and had to eat at their average and well overpriced restaurant because there was nowhere else to go.
The next day, the same thing happened, no one wanted to drive me to town except one of them, who tried to blackmail me into having dinner with him if he agreed to drive me! Later on, he came knocking at my door, with a drink! Which i refused - who knows what was in it...
I eventually managed to escape to town, hired a scooter, came back to pick up my stuff and left this horrible place!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank Sophiepaleo

Travelers are raving about these Ko Lanta hotels

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2010

I can only agree whole-heartedly with everything in the previous review "Sang Kha Ou - Don't Stay Here". Having had the misfortune of actually staying at Sang Kha Ou Resort and 'Spa' I can also add things don't get much better if you hang around.

We (rather naively perhaps) pre-arranged our stay here and it didn't take us long to decide to move elsewhere. Nothing about this place justifies it's remote location. If you want to get away from the 'hustle' of Ko Lanta there are plenty of far better options on the western side of the quieter southern tip of the island.

For the sake of objectivity it's probably worth adding we were offered a reduced rate of 500baht a night for the tree house rooms (most likely as the place was empty and they were desperate for customers). Sure, it's true you get what you pay for in Thailand but we have had infinitely better experiences at other places where we paid the same or even less.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sharpe1_r_uk
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2010

My partner and I were looking around Koh Lanta for a more remote secluded accomodation and were amused by the write up in the 2010 Lonely Planet Thailand guide about the Sang Kha Ou resort. Sort of Alice in Wonderland meets the Jungle Book. We rode our motobikes to the quieter side of Lanta and could see the owners of Sang Kha Ou had peppered the roads with signs pointing in their general direction with promises of "swimming pool" and beaches and, oddly, "Steak dinner". We pulled up at the resort and there was nobody around. So we showed ourselves around the grounds - the name is hugely misleading as this place is less about "Spa" and "resort" than a kitchy collections of plastic statues, lawn furniture and tree houses. Don't get me wrong, it's a freakish wonderland and it's a sight to behold. The swimming pool was green with algae, the "beach" is a narrow rectangle of trucked-in white sand (sort of an adult's sand box) and there was no spa that I could see. Yes, May is low season but this place advertises as being open all year and there wasn't a soul in sight except for a teenage Thai boy that walked by us carrying a rifle.

On our way back from taking in all the weird sights, I spotted the nail in the coffin against the Sang Kha Ou: the saddest monkey in Thailand, tied to a tree in the middle of the resort with about 5 feet of plastic tubing. We had walked right by him and he had been completely silent. Now that I saw him I was horrified; his "water bucket" was as green as the pool and had plastic bags floating in it. The tree he was tied to was cemented to the ground and he tugged on his rope to try to untangle it so that he could move around. He was completely alone and depressed - my heart broke. There was an empty donations box soliciting for food, so I can only assume that the monkey is some sort of ply for money from tourists. I realize that conditions for animals in Thailand are not the same as North America, but people with any conscience should not be paying money to the owners of the Sang Kha Ou and supporting them. I have emailed the owner of the "resort" already to let them know they lost 4 nights of our business and I would strongly suggest against staying here.
If you're not the type of traveler who has objections to inhumane treatment of animals, then maybe another strike against the resort is that it's miles away from anything and they charge inflated taxi prices to and from town as well as overinflated motorbike rental fees.

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple