“Not 5 Star - 6 Star!!!!!”
Review of Dive & Relax

Dive & Relax
Ranked #1 of 37 Tours in Ko Lanta
More attraction details
Owner description: Avoid the crowds; dive and snorkel in very small groups with a focus on great personal service, safety and fun. Departing from the beach each morning at 9am, our two speedboats carry a maximum of 10 divers each to some of the best dive sites in Thailand. PADI courses available in several languages, and with typical group sizes of just 2 or 3 divers with each divemaster or instructor (max 4), diving is more than just a job for us. Enjoy our PADI 5-Star service and let some of the most experienced, friendly and professional dive instructors on Koh Lanta take care of you while you just sit back, dive and relax...
Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
“Not 5 Star - 6 Star!!!!!”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I could talk about Dive and Relax all day long so I will keep it brief - they were amazing!!!!! From the second I emailed the owner Cameron, he was so informative and supportive and gave me lots of information. I was new to diving so I wanted to make sure that my Open Water was with the best and it was by far. You will never get a bigger and more positive response from arriving anywhere than meeting Greg who sits in the office. What a lovely guy and so friendly, he really made me feel at ease from the outset. My instructor: Robin, WOW!!!!! WOW!!!! WOW!!!! So calm, patient, encouraging, knowledgeable, I would run out of positive words for him. The dive sites were fantastic, the speed boat comfortable and relaxing and the rest of the staff were just so friendly. For those of you who are unfamiliar with a British advert run by Virgin holidays which claims to give all it's customers, the 'rock star treatment', well that's how I felt from start to finish with Dive and Relax. I arrived every morning and was made to feel like a VIP, and this was the same on the boat, and as for the big fuss that all the staff made of me for passing my course, it was a milestone experience. So to Cameron, Greg, the lovely and friendly Rhi, Robin, San (who patched me up after I cut my foot on a rock, a special thanks) and all the others whose names escape me, but were just as great, I want to offer thanks to all that contributed to an amazing experience that I will remember for the rest of my life!! I wish you all thanks, and hope to see you again someday!!! Marc

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Paris
“Excellent !”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I book my Open Water course from France before to arrive. So I read comments about it and other dive center on Lanta, i did not really know what it would worth but i pick Dive & Relax.
When i arrived i had a nice and warm welcome, and I like the club environnement, really nice and on the beach !
When i had a little more time and visit the island, i saw all the other dive club i was in contact with, and i can tell, i am really really happy i choose Dive & relax !
The are great, professional, and you get a club, on the beach, with the speedboats leaving from the beach itself (you don't have to take a car to drop you off at the pier) and you come back also right on the beach, at the club ! The speedboat look brand new, clean, the food onboard is very good !
The instructors are really nice and Wade give me my Open Water courses is a very good "teacher". Calm, confident, nice !
I will definitely recommend it to all that looks for a friendly, safe, nice and professional club ! I could not say anything negative about it. I wish i had more time to dive again and again with them !

London, UK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“A proper, professional dive centre.”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I did 4 dives and a snorkel trip with Dive and Relax. We dived Hin Daeng, Hin Meung and a couple of dives at Koh Haa and snorkelled Hin Bida. I really liked this dive centre. All the instructors seemed very professional and organised. They seemed to know the sites really well (not easy in some Thai sites) and looked after people well. The group sizes were small, the boats were really fast and the kit was in good condition. It isn't the cheapest dive centre I've ever dived with but I think this is reflected in the kit & the small group sizes. Most of the staff I spoke to seemed to be on at least their 3rd season there which is a great sign and not all that common.

If I had one suggestion for them it would be not to "dangle the shark" quite so much. I.e. it's really rare to spot sharks, manta rays etc so I'd be honest about that rather than building up customers hopes before the dives. A couple of the divers I dived with were genuinely disappointed not to have seen a manta ray on one dive. I'd have been astonished/utterly delighted if we had. The dive itself was fantastic, manta or no manta!

High Wycombe
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Two Days - 4 Dives - GREAT!”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

We booked to stay at Lanta Castaway partly because it was where Dive & Relax are based. (but don't tell my wife :-)) -The facilities of the resort are ideal for the small but very professional diving operation that Dive & Relax is.
By small I mean that the dive groups are no more than 8/10 (including the snorkellers who were also well catered for) meaning you end up on 1st name terms with everyone.

I hadn't had a tank on my back for a couple of years so had to go through a refresh dive which was well organised and thorough - they gave me a questionnaire and the manual the day before and allowed me to peruse the manual - interesting to note the changes over recent years (but then it was 35 years ago when I did my original diving)

I was impressed with the locations we dived and their knowledge of the dive sites - I was further impressed by the attentiveness of their staff and how much they wanted to ensure I had good dives.

Both days the trips out and back were under an hour each way, which was ideal, they operate from large speedboats - meaning I was back in the resort about 13.30 in the afternoon and able to join my wife and friends for the remainder of the day.

The equipment supplied appeared in good condition as did the boat.
When out they provided a good lunch between dives and a selection of cold drinks/water which was much appreciated.

Would I use D&R again definately!

Thanks for a couple of enjoyable days!

Visited October 2013
San Diego, California
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Wish I Had Gone With Another Company”
Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

I found Dive and Relax on Tripadvisor and decided to send them an inquiry. Cameron was very responsive so I had high hope that this would be an awesome experience. I was actually debating between Dive and Relax and Scubafish. I chose to do the DSD with Dive and Relax based on all the great reviews on Tripadvisor and on the fact that it only takes about 45 minutes to get to Koh Haa on their fast boat. Am I sorry I did that.

Fast boat turned out to be a bad idea. First of all, make sure you take the strongest seasickness pill an hour before the trip and sit in the front of the boat. I took a bonine at 7:30am and I still felt sick. My husband who never gets sick on boats got very seasick too. We had 8 students on our boat that day and 5 of us felt nauseous by the time we got to our first dive site. We actually went on a day where the condition was quite good so I can't imagine if the water had been more choppy. I'm not sure if the nausea is caused by the boat or by the fume itself but I was not feeling well. That was too bad because Ho Haa is very beautiful but we were too sick to enjoy its beauty.

This being my first time diving I really didn't know what to look for in a diving school. If I can do this again, I would choose a company that teaches the basic skills in a swimming pool one-on-one before taking you out into the ocean.

Me and another lady were assigned to one instructor. We were briefed on the critical skills prior to getting on the boat. The other lady has dived before so she picked it up right of way. I kept getting water in my mouth and mask, which freaked me out. After a few attempts I finally went back on the boat. Now, feeling very sick and eventually vomited.

We moved on to the lagoon for our second dive where we had lunch. Neither my husband nor I could eat lunch because we were so sick but everyone seems to be happy with the lunch provided.

The instructor encouraged me to try it again one-on-one during our lunch break. The one-on-one made me felt more comfortable, which finally allowed me to enjoy the second dive (it was an amazing dive site). Thank goodness for this. Otherwise, this trip would have been a complete bust.

After the dive, the instructor was trying to show us the fishes we saw during our dive but it was a very awkward process (unlike the pre-trip briefing). We were suppose to get a certificate of some kind at the end but he couldn't locate it so he finally dismissed us.

If you are completely new to diving, I would highly recommend choosing a company that provides some swimming pool training prior to your actual dive (I'm sure no one wants to waste any of their previous diving opportunity). Otherwise, it is not a bad company to do business with.

*Please note, you will get a 10% discount if you book and pay 7 days in advance.

3 Thank TravelBug4702
Diveandrelax, Owner at Dive & Relax, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you for the feedback on your PADI Discover Scuba Diving (DSD) trip with us.

We are sorry that sea sickness has spoiled your day diving with us.

On the day of your trip, as you mention, the sea was quite calm, with a smooth boat trip and very good conditions both above and below the surface. The slow, gentle rolling of the sea can sometimes make those not used to it feel sick, even on calm days.

Some people are more prone to motion sickness (sea sickness) and this, combined with the excitement and nerves surrounding their first diving experience can sometimes increase the feeling of nausea. In severe cases of sea sickness, such as yours, this can unfortunately spoil what would otherwise be a great experience.

We recognise that fast boats are not for everyone, even on calm days, and we thank you for this opportunity to remind everyone that if you are prone to sea sickness then please consider carefully which type of boat you would be more comfortable on. For those less likely to get sea sick then fast boats provide an excellent way to avoid long journey times to and from the diving sites.

In case of doubt however, we would much rather you make a booking on a larger, slower boat than have your first diving experience spoiled by sea sickness on a fast boat.

Our instructor was unable to provide you with the DSD certificate on the day as unfortunately due to your sea sickness we were unable to complete all of the required skills with you, however we hope that this has not put you off diving and that you will find the opportunity to try again in the future.

We are sorry again that your dive trip with us was spoiled by sea sickness and we thank you again for your feedback.