“These days Lanta Miami Resort but same place anyway...”

Lanta Miami Bungalows
Ranked #26 of 212 Specialty Lodging in Ko Lanta
Turku, Finland
“These days Lanta Miami Resort but same place anyway...”
Reviewed May 29, 2011

Bungalow, which was the cheapest available, was still really big and neat. It was situated in the garden, but the beach was still a distance max. 30 meters. The bungalow had a double bed and one single bed, making it ideal for three to sleep. Bathroom had a flush toilet, hot water and it was ridiculously big. Rooms fan was so effective that you really didn’t miss air-condition. Food in the restaurant was very modest, and yet little pricey compared to other places. The beach bar / pub instead was ok. Password for WIFI cost 50bht, and it worked in the restaurant and lobby .The same password worked the entire stay. Bungalow itself was really good quality comparing to the price (800bht/night). Apart from us the resort was filled with retirement age package tourists, which lowers the grade a bit.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2011

Have to say that I am amazed to hear such negative feedback about Lanta Miami. My Girlfriend and I have stayed there twice on different holidays and I have been there with some friends of mine too. I have travelled for years all over Thailand, Vietnam and Laos and still return to Lanta Miami.
I guess it depends on what you want from your break; if you want a Hilton or Meridien where they grovel on you hand and foot with soulless smiles, and you want Egg & Chips every meal, then this is not the place for you.
IF on the other hand you want a cool, chilled out beach where you are left alone and in peace then this is the place for you. The food (the THAI food) is great here, their Western food not so good. But then why go to Thailand if you're eating Burgers?!!! As for people getting sick in their restaurant I find this very hard to believe having eaten there dozens of times and enjoyed it every time. The best Tom Yum soup in Thailand. Period.
The rooms are spacious, clean and well provided for and the family that run it, Sak and his relatives, are super nice and helpful. You pay 800b as oppose to 500b say in Chiang Mai, but this is a beach resort and obviously going to be more expensive.
The bar attached to the Hotel, P'Dang Bar, is a cracking place to be taking in Thai evenings and P'dang will provide you with what you need with no problems. I would recommend that people don't listen to all the Victor Meldrew nonsense that has been written about this place in earlier reviews.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Burnsyo
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed April 15, 2011

We were on Ko Lanta during the recent heavy rains staying at some bungalows that were inland off the beach. After 5 days, we decided that if the weather was going to be marginal, at least we should be on the beach. So after renting a truck and touring the island, we decided the Klongnin Beach area was nice. Quaint village vibe with many options for food and drinks.
We spoke to the reception at Miami and they had a deluxe beachfront with A/C available and would give us a 400 baht/night discount since it was very slow (still it was a little expensive relative to other places). Here is our view of the resort based on our 4 nights there:

Good Stuff:

-The room was very nice, large and roomy with a very nice bathroom. Had western toilet, shower, and bathtub
-Very nice balcony right on the beach to watch the sea (or storms as it were!)
-Grounds were very nice and well kept. Strong winds were causing leaves and debris to fly around a lot, but the staff was there early in the morning sweeping it up
-A/C and fridge worked well
-There was an additional electrical outlet conveniently placed between the beds for charging laptops etc
-Many options for lighting with controls right by the bed
-Bed was comfortable
-They had a safe for valuables at reception
-They accepted Visa as a payment option (3% charge)
-The owner arranged our van transport to Krabi when we were leaving
-Location on the beach was very nice-close to many other restaurants and bars, and some small shops
-If you walk south on the road, there are trails down to some very nice secluded beaches. There are even monkeys in the wild along some if these trails.
-Best part...P-Dap bar and bar staff! These guys are awesome! Despite the weather we had a great time having cocktails there and meeting people. Beware of the "free shot" of cobra/scorpion liquor!!

The "Not so Good" stuff:

-WiFi was brutal. It didn't work at all in our bungalow (which was probably the farthest one from the reception). Even in the lobby, the WiFi would fade in and out while I was sitting 5m from the transmitter
-They indicate on their price list that there is a daily charge for using the safe and the WiFi. Luckily they did not end up charging us. Considering the price of the rooms I would think these services should be free
-The room had very little space for storing clothing-no drawers. Only a wardrobe with a few hangers
-The plug for the TV was a little dodgey. It had to be wiggled to work and it made a concerning "buzz" when adjusted
-All the hooks/towel bars in the bathroom were broken off
-The food at the restaurant is average at best. The service is also quite sub par, even by Thai standards. One person to take the order, one to bring it, another to bring the bill and take our money, then yet another to calculate the bill and our change. No wonder the service was slow!!
-Breakfast was included with the deluxe bungalow. We often just wanted coffee and toast. One morning we tried to explain that coffee and juice was all we wanted so we could consider that our free breakfast. That was a difficult point to get across and we ended up paying for the coffee just to put an end to it.
-When we were nearing our departure on Friday April 1 we asked the owner at reception if he could confirm whether the road to Krabi was open, if the Krabi airport, Koh Samui airport, and ferry service out of Koh Samui were operational yet. They had been closed for a few days due to the storms and flooding, and no good information was available on the internet. He made a couple calls, but in general his message was "we were not going anywhere-nothing is running. We should stay there". It did not seem that he based this on any bona fide information (although he claimed to have called a travel agent). We were not convinced that he wasn't just trying to have us stay longer. After checking in the village with 3 travel companies we were confident that things were mostly back to normal and we could make our flights and ferry to get to Koh Phangan. Turns out we were correct.

So, overall Miami is an average bungalow set up, slightly overpriced for the level of services. The location is great, right on the beach and walking distance (road or beach) to many bars and restaurants. It served our purpose in the situation, but there are better options in the area that we would consider next time before Miami.

Room Tip: If WiFi is important to you check it first!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed March 9, 2011

My husband I stayed here in January, we paid 2400 baht more than we could afford, but, as we had not booked anywhere and it was early January we decided to splurge here. The bungalow was o.k. and it included breakfast. We are a middle aged couple. We travelled in Thailand for 3 months, we stayed in a lot of places! When you are paying these prices you do expect something in return. The first day we had water in the room to drink, after that we were told we had to provide our own. Even very cheap places had provided us with water everyday. No soap or shampoo in the room. The breakfast choices were eggs everyday, as my husband has to watch his cholesterol, I asked if we could have pancakes (which were cheaper than eggs on the menu), the wait staff said yes, and then to find it was extra on the bill and was not ok by the manager so had to pay it.
We got a ride with their driver into town and was charged 100 baht not much I know, but was going there anyway and most large hotels will take you in for free. We were told we would be picked up at 2:00, we waited over a hour to a no show. We stood in the hot sun. When we finally got back to the hotel by taxi, and I complained, the women behind the desk said she would have to check with the driver as to see if that had really happened!!!
We left with a distaste in our mouths, the staff were as everywhere in Thailand hard working, etc The management unfortunately have a penny pitching problem and a poor attitude. I did not feel like an appreciated guest and was not treated like one! We would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank gill12345080
Halifax
Reviewed December 17, 2010

The location on the beach is great and the staff for the most part are helpful and pleasant. We stayed in one room for two nights - that room had no hot water. The next two nights we had to move because our room was pre-booked. The 2nd room was musty and the shower didn't always work. They eventually got it to work each time it stopped but if you are standing there with shampoo in your hair, well.... The power went off a couple of times but it was fixed in a reasonable time. Don't bother paying for the wireless, it doesn't work the majority of the time. The day of check out I asked for an extended checkout, thinking that all things considered they would offer at least an hour. We got a half hour. That wasn't a good note to leave on.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Seoul
Reviewed January 19, 2010

My wife and I stayed at Lanta Miama on Jan. 4th 2010. The garden bungalow was decent enough for 1100 baht, quite large and fairly clean...though for the overall structure some simple cosmetic updates could have freshened it up a bit. But it was well enough with us. We settled in and decide to try the Lanta Miama restaurant as the ambience was rather nice, 15 or so tables set out in front by the ocean with nice lighting and so forth. I ordered the "Green Chicken Curry" and she a fried rice dish. Everything seemed fine with the meal.

However roughly 6-7 hours later I woke up with a sharp pain in my abdomen. For the next 4-5 hours I was back and forth to the toilet with severe diarrhea and possibly the worst vomiting I've experience since childhood.

This unfortunately left me severely dehydrated and I was unable to hold down any food or water. My wife found one of the hotel attendant to see when the hospital opened and where it was. The lady asked me if I had eaten at their restaurant and I said I had. She left and came back saying they would get us a ride to the hospital, which was roughly 30 minutes drive to the eastern side of Koh Lanta.

The doctors quickly assessed that I have severe food poisoning and put me on IV drip for about 5 hours, along with two shots and some antibotics. I received a bill for 2000baht and thought the resort should take care of this bill, as it was their food that made me ill.

However, when I asked to be reimbursed they simply refused any wrong doing and wouldn't pay for the bill. When I asked if that was the case, then why did they pay 600 baht to get me to the hospital in the first place and why did their employee ask if I ate there, the manage had no response to that. He did say it was their policy not to pay that we could have eaten anywhere and become sick. I told him I would write a review to let people know how they do business and he told me to go right ahead. That "we have many good reviews and some bad, but the people still come, you won't effect our business." This is quite possibly true, but either way I think people should know how they do business should something go wrong and that their food could make you ill. My wife was completely fine. We didn't share our meals. I would rate the hotel as good, but their food and service as leaving much to be desired.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple