“I can cook!”

Time For Lime - Creative Thai Cooking School
Ranked #1 of 6 Food & Drink in Ko Lanta
More attraction details
Owner description: Yes, we are open! A well known professional creative Thai Cooking School. and the first on the Island. With a different approach by combining cooking classes with great atmosphere, music; refreshing cocktails on the Beach Front. The owner is a true foodie, cooking Thai food for 24 years and teaching in Thailand and Europe 9 years. The profits from the business goes to run the non-profit charity Lanta Animal Welfare.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I can cook!”
Reviewed May 25, 2011

I can cook! They can take a kitchen rookie like my self and turn me in to a great Thai cook. With kind guidance and expert knowledge we weren't just taught how to cook we learned how to cook these dishes.

My girl friend and I picked this place because of it's awesome location on Koh Dong beach (away from the zoo that is Long beach) and the proximity to Laguna Surf school, (the better surf school by far). the most important reason we stayed here is the animal rescue. They have a program that helps spay and nueter anamals that would other wise be killed in really inhuman ways. All of the proceeds from this school go to the rescue. We know this is true and not a scam. We went to walk some dogs one day and the rescue I better than most every other building on the island. These friends are well taken care of and it's worth a visit its not far. You can really see the amount of love that goes in to the school and the animal shelter. If you are looking for a place to stay, eat, drink (great cocktails at happy hour), cook, or live go to Time for Lime

This place made our tops list for all of Asia and we were there for a long time.

On a side note we Cooke Thai food for 20 of our friends last night and if you disregard the fact that we made a giant mess of the kitchen the evening went great. We made most of the dishes from scratch, and the classes we took were two months ago! We really learned Thai cooking here.

You will not be dissapointed!

• Polish first
Oslo
“I went back home truly inspired”
Reviewed May 16, 2011

This class was great! I loved the short introduction to thai food and seasoning before we actually started cooking. the cooking class itself was easy to follow and we were not too many people. I went straight home to my local Asian supermarket and have cooked several of the dishes for my friends and they are very impressed. :-)

If I wasn't travelling with my boyfriend and six month old son, I would have loved to do a full week. I highly recommend it.

Visited March 2011
London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Fantastic and thorough Thai cookery class at Time for Lime”
Reviewed May 3, 2011

In April I attended two cookery classes at Time for Lime and I came back to London armed with so many new cooking techniques and a new found understanding and appreciation of Thai cookery. I tend to go to a local cookery classes wherever I go on holiday and also in London where I live and I can honestly say that this was one of the bests classes I have ever attended.

The classes start at 16:00 and the experience begins with a jolly pick up from your hotel by who I can only describe as the happiest driver in the world.

Once at Time for Lime Junie (the owner) or Bim will give you an hour talk on the world of Thai ingredients and the differences between good and poor ingredients. You sample a good soya sauce and bad soya sauce, green curry sauce from a jar and fresh curry sauce and a whole load of other ingredients, as well as learn the names of good Thai cooking brands. You learn how to cut fresh ingredients properly to release the flavours and the "Thai cutting code," i.e. some things are cut in certain ways indicating that you can or cannot eat them. The knowledge you get from this one hour talk is brilliant and I now realise why my stir fries and curry's were never flavourful (blue dragon soya sauce is full of chemicals!)

Once the talk is finished you begin preparing and cooking two dishes followed by break in which you eat the food. Then you start the second courses and later eat these.

Over the five hour course you learn you not only learn the core cooking skills but also other interesting tips such how to make cones from banana leaves so that you present your food in "master chef" style ways!

I also liked the fact that we had the opportunity to buy the core Thai ingredients (such as fish sauce, soya sauce etc) at the end of the course so that I can take these to my local Thai food shop in London and ask for them easily. We were also given a well written receipe book at the end of the course so that we don't forget how to prepare all the delicious food we made.

Finally all profits from the course go to the local animal and dog rescue -so that you can learn to cook knowing that you are helping to look after animals in need.

If you're in Koh Lanta and like to cook, definitely attend this class. You'll come away exhausted but you'll certainly learn to cook delicious Pad Thai and green curries so that you can throw away those take away menus when you get back home!

Denver. CO
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“lots of helpful hints, inspiration for cooking Thai food at home”
Reviewed April 9, 2011

We attended Junie's great cooking school in which we learned about the importance of individual ingredients and how they are combined together in Thai food. The six-hour session included learning how to cook four dishes, and we learned many helpful hints regarding ingredients, cooking techniques, cook time, cutting style, and how to find the ingredients locally at home. We will be practicing our new skills then treating our friends to our Thai cooking. We enjoyed the food so much, we came back the next night to eat a six-course tasting menu. Thanks so much.

Tempe, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“What a way to spend a night!”
Reviewed April 6, 2011

I came to Time for Lime on a whim after hearing about the restaurant and cooking class while vacationing on Ko Lanta. Let me say that amidst all my activities--SCUBA, muay thai, biking/hiking around the island, and eating some phenomenal food--that the cooking class (taught by Bim, a very charming and witty local that will steal your heart) was my favorite experience bar none. I happened to be traveling alone during a business trip, but would also encourage the class as a fun and romantic evening for couples.

The owner, Junie, is legendary on the island--a local Alice Waters--for her incredible food and her dedication and serious investment in helping the animals of Ko Lanta. Have a great evening, eat some remarkable food that you'll be stunned you prepared, and feel good about helping the animals of Ko Lanta.