“I went back home truly inspired”

Time For Lime - Creative Thai Cooking School
Ranked #1 of 6 Food & Drink in Ko Lanta
More attraction details
Owner description: Yes, we are open! A well known professional creative Thai Cooking School. and the first on the Island. With a different approach by combining cooking classes with great atmosphere, music; refreshing cocktails on the Beach Front. The owner is a true foodie, cooking Thai food for 24 years and teaching in Thailand and Europe 9 years. The profits from the business goes to run the non-profit charity Lanta Animal Welfare.
Reviewed May 16, 2011

This class was great! I loved the short introduction to thai food and seasoning before we actually started cooking. the cooking class itself was easy to follow and we were not too many people. I went straight home to my local Asian supermarket and have cooked several of the dishes for my friends and they are very impressed. :-)

If I wasn't travelling with my boyfriend and six month old son, I would have loved to do a full week. I highly recommend it.

Reviewed May 3, 2011

In April I attended two cookery classes at Time for Lime and I came back to London armed with so many new cooking techniques and a new found understanding and appreciation of Thai cookery. I tend to go to a local cookery classes wherever I go on holiday and also in London where I live and I can honestly say that this was one of the bests classes I have ever attended.

The classes start at 16:00 and the experience begins with a jolly pick up from your hotel by who I can only describe as the happiest driver in the world.

Once at Time for Lime Junie (the owner) or Bim will give you an hour talk on the world of Thai ingredients and the differences between good and poor ingredients. You sample a good soya sauce and bad soya sauce, green curry sauce from a jar and fresh curry sauce and a whole load of other ingredients, as well as learn the names of good Thai cooking brands. You learn how to cut fresh ingredients properly to release the flavours and the "Thai cutting code," i.e. some things are cut in certain ways indicating that you can or cannot eat them. The knowledge you get from this one hour talk is brilliant and I now realise why my stir fries and curry's were never flavourful (blue dragon soya sauce is full of chemicals!)

Once the talk is finished you begin preparing and cooking two dishes followed by break in which you eat the food. Then you start the second courses and later eat these.

Over the five hour course you learn you not only learn the core cooking skills but also other interesting tips such how to make cones from banana leaves so that you present your food in "master chef" style ways!

I also liked the fact that we had the opportunity to buy the core Thai ingredients (such as fish sauce, soya sauce etc) at the end of the course so that I can take these to my local Thai food shop in London and ask for them easily. We were also given a well written receipe book at the end of the course so that we don't forget how to prepare all the delicious food we made.

Finally all profits from the course go to the local animal and dog rescue -so that you can learn to cook knowing that you are helping to look after animals in need.

If you're in Koh Lanta and like to cook, definitely attend this class. You'll come away exhausted but you'll certainly learn to cook delicious Pad Thai and green curries so that you can throw away those take away menus when you get back home!

Reviewed April 9, 2011

We attended Junie's great cooking school in which we learned about the importance of individual ingredients and how they are combined together in Thai food. The six-hour session included learning how to cook four dishes, and we learned many helpful hints regarding ingredients, cooking techniques, cook time, cutting style, and how to find the ingredients locally at home. We will be practicing our new skills then treating our friends to our Thai cooking. We enjoyed the food so much, we came back the next night to eat a six-course tasting menu. Thanks so much.

Reviewed April 6, 2011

I came to Time for Lime on a whim after hearing about the restaurant and cooking class while vacationing on Ko Lanta. Let me say that amidst all my activities--SCUBA, muay thai, biking/hiking around the island, and eating some phenomenal food--that the cooking class (taught by Bim, a very charming and witty local that will steal your heart) was my favorite experience bar none. I happened to be traveling alone during a business trip, but would also encourage the class as a fun and romantic evening for couples.

The owner, Junie, is legendary on the island--a local Alice Waters--for her incredible food and her dedication and serious investment in helping the animals of Ko Lanta. Have a great evening, eat some remarkable food that you'll be stunned you prepared, and feel good about helping the animals of Ko Lanta.

Reviewed March 13, 2011

We attended Time For Limes saturday cooking class. It was so much fun and we learned a lot of basics about thaifood that will be useful when we start cooking thaifood in our own kitchen. The class started with an introduction to thaifood and ingredients. We tasted some of the spices and ingredients typically used in thaifood, and learned about balancing the tastes, good and bad ingredients, cuttingtechniques ++ This part of the class was interesting and gave us an useful introduction to and understanding of thaifood. The cookingpart of the class was so much fun. The teacher we had was easy to understand, charming and very friendly. We prepared our own dishes (of course with some help..) and ate the food in two sessions. The food was very, very good - the music in the background was good, the drinks in the bar (we had the lemongrass margarita and the mojito) were fantastic, the setting by the beach was beautiful.. All inn all, we were so pleased and had a great time at Time for Lime! The profits from the class goes to Lanta Animal Welfare, whos mission is to neuture (to keep the population down) and help sick and injured stray animals on Koh Lanta. We had a fantastic evening at Time for Lime Cooking School! All we regreted was not going there earlier in our vacation. Then we could have had the time to attend another class.. :)

We also ate at the Time for Lime restaurant two evenings. Great food!! The Sunday-menu was sooo good - best food we have ever had in Thailand!
And we visited Lanta Animal Welfare center. Junie and her staff is doing such a fantastic job with all this places - and we would love to come back one day!

- Gunvor og Trond