“Not right for everyone but it was perfect for me” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kradan Island Resort

and 1 more site!
Kradan Island Resort
Vancouver, Canada
“Not right for everyone but it was perfect for me”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

This place is not for everyone but if you can bear with a few glitches, it's one if the most beautiful places in Thailand.

I'll start with the good stuff. The beach huts are right beside the beach so all night long you can hear the waves. When you wake up, you open up the door and the most beautiful beach and scenery are at your doorstep. The coral and aquatic life in the water is astounding. Go to the end of the reef and you will see tens of thousands of fish in perfectly clear and warm water. The island is small and there is no town or roads and it is extremely safe.

Bill, the owner of Kradan Island Resort (KIR) is a character and a very nice man. He's friendly and warm. My only criticism of him is that perhaps he could direct his hardworking staff a little more to do some needed repairs to the bungalows and have a checklist for each bungalow. Our windows had broken locks and there were some issues with loose flooring. Little things, really, but details make all the difference and unlike the people who have written bad reviews, we are pretty easy going but I can see how little things that I can overlook would be huge problems for others. I would love to see Bill's resort thrive and be popular so he could make some money. I think the only way this will happen, though, is if he keeps a close eye on the maintenance of each bungalow, otherwise people will continue to write unfavourable reviews and before long it'll be a ghost town. We had no issues with rats or mice like some other reviewers. If we had, I think we would have been upset. But to be fair, I am sure other resorts on the island must also have their fair share of rodents too. Maybe not the concrete bungalows, but any bamboo bungalow is going to be fair game. But like I said, we saw none.

We booked ahead of time, two separate 8 and 6 day stays at KIR but we decided to cancel our second stay to travel into Malaysia. We asked through email after our first stay if they would honour our payment and allow us to stay there again, if we found our way back to Kradan. Absolutely! was their response-Come back anytime and stay! Your payment will be honoured. Officially, all payments were non-refundable without sufficient notice and we cancelled just two days before we were meant to go back. We were travelling for 2 months so we did have time to go back to KIR. and true to their word, our cancelled reservation and prepayment was honoured. THAT'S WHAT I CALL GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!

And why did we go back? After travelling throughout Thailand, Malaysia and Cambodia, Kradan Island was exceptionally beautiful and the simplicity of the bungalows at KIR was what we loved the most. And nowhere else did we find bungalows so close to the beach. Even on Kradan Island, all of the other resorts have their bungalows set far back from the beach. It's an exceptional place.

The island has a few restaurants and they are all decent. All the prices are about the same. The island is more expensive than other places but it sort of makes sense because everything has to be brought over on long tail boats and it's far from the mainland. But more than that, I believe on Kradan you are paying for the spectacular scenery.

If you want 3 star or higher this is not the place for you. If you are able to overlook some maintenance issues and appreciate the beauty of the surroundings, then you'll love it. For us, it was sort of like luxury camping. We had a nice bed, a mosquito net, a fan, a roof over our heads, a hammock, indoor plumbing and electricity for enough hours each day to charge our electronics and run the fan when it was most needed. That's pretty much it. The place could use a bit of love and maybe some shelves here and there and some wooden steps to the beach that can be removed during the off-season.

What I would really love to see on Kradan, though, is for all the resorts and tour boats to get together with the Park and organize a clean-up. It is so sad to see so much garbage on the remote beaches of the island. THE MAIN BEACH IS 90% CLEAN but everyday I would walk the beach and pick up a bagful of plastic litter that had washed up on the beach and had obviously come from tourists. If you go to Secret Beach or Sunset Beach, though, there are piles of plastic debris at the high tide mark and this spoils the illusion of being in a tropical paradise.

On Lipe, they have the Trash Heroes and although Lipe has many more tourists, it has much cleaner beaches. Trash Heroes just started in 2013 and it has already made a huge difference. A similar idea on Kradan would be the best thing for the resorts and will keep the tourists coming back. The other thing that needs to happen is education about the coral. I saw so many people standing on it. If I was able, I asked them to please not stand on the coral. But everyday several boatloads of snorkellers arrive and everyday the coral is destroyed a bit more by people who either don't know not to stand on it, or they just don't care. I would love to see a few signs on the beach saying PLEASE DON'T STAND ON THE CORAL and to get each snorkel tour boat to have this as part of their package.

I also really hope the resorts and Park get together and figure out how to combat the erosion. If not, before long, the beachfront bungalows will be swallowed up by the rising ocean. The coral will be gone and all that is beautiful and natural about Kradan will be gone forever.

From what I have written, you can probably tell I became very fond of this place. You will too if your needs are simple and you don't expect too much. Bill, the owner acknowledges that KIR isn't for everyone, and he is right, it isn't. But if you are the right kind of person for this place, you will fall in love with it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
7 Thank ward b

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Helsinki, Finland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

We lived with 3 friends in the family bungalow 2 with a balcony. The bungalow has a downstairs where ceiling is very low (I'm about 1,7 m tall and didn't want to walk straight...) and an upstairs where there are huge windows - it's more like a roofed terrace than a room. The beds were just mattresses on the floor. Downstairs floor was skewed. Cockroaches everywhere. II stepped on a loose nail on the floor. The location is good, not so many people on this side of the beach. And they had puppies at the property which seemed cute at first but left a gloomy feeling when we read that many bungalow operators keep puppies or kittens as they know guests will like them. And after they grow... well, I hope this is not one of those places. Snorkels are free for the guests but not taken care of, so it is best to bring your own if you are here for snorkeling (which is quite probable). When asked the price from the reception, it was double to what they sell through Agoda. (So we booked through Agoda.) The price they are asking at the reception has nothing to do with the value of the bungalow.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank HelsinkiBunny

Travelers are raving about these Ko Kradan hotels

Copenhagen, Denmark
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

I am sorry to say that I think this place should be closed or be renovated from the ground. It could be a nice place, but it is clearly not taken care of by the owner. The rooms are VERY basic, the mosquito nets full of holes, the madrases stone hard, the food very average. The place needs a loving hand and is not as cosy as it could have been. But the beach is very good and quiet, the snorkeling from the beach nice and the view from the beachfront huts spectacular. Because of the nature and the good company of friends, we had 5 nice days there - especially after we moved to a hut away from the very noisy generator that is placed next to the restaurant! What a stupid place to put it!

Room Tip: Get a room as far from the restaurant as possible as the generator is very noisy.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Nanna M
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

I was stuck here for a few days, there were rats in the bungalows and the staff did not speak a word of english and were rude and could not care less. They were about 15 staff but no one would do anything apart tom looking at you like you are bothering them. I am a seasoned south east asia traveller.... stay away!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Pg P
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed here after leaving the dreaded Kalume bungalows infested with cockroaches!! We originally wanted to stay here but they were all booked out.

The owner, Bill, is a very nice and friendly man. We stayed here for our remaining 2 nights on Koh Kradan. The bungalow we stayed in was beautifully situated on the beach front. The rooms were very clean, the only bad thing was the hard pillows. The mattresses are on the floor but I think that it gives the room a more beach/island feel, which is great.

Bill also has family bungalows which sleep 4 and are two stories! These would be great for families and all are reasonably priced. You'll find on Koh Kradan the accommodation and food is a bit more expensive that other islands as it is such a remote island.

I definitely recommend staying here and make friends with Bill! :)

Also I recommend paying that bit extra to stay in the beach front bungalows!

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Xavieremp
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed in a beach front hut 10 feet from the high water line it was pretty basic but did it's job. There was a porch with a hammock to relax in,there was wifi the water was nice what else do you need.They have a restaurant the food was OK and if you want there are other places to eat at the other resorts down the beach.This island is secluded that's why we came here we did not have great expectations so it was a good stay.

Room Tip: Make sure you have cash they do not accept credit cards.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mcalien
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

This place is awesome. The owner Bill is a very friendly and kind he has a Thai wife.

The location is amazing. The bungalows are new spacious and right on the amazing beach! It's perfect, Bill you just need some new Pillows, the pillows are the only negative thing. I allways travel with my own.

Great cheap bungalows will def be going back.

• Stayed January 2013
CoCo Cottage Koh Ngai
#1 of 7 in Ko Ngai
Koh Mook Sivalai Beach Resort
Koh Ngai Thanya Beach Resort

Been to Kradan Island Resort? Share your experiences!