“Horrible place!!!”

Kalume Kradan Village
Cologne, Germany
“Horrible place!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

Used sanitary pads in the shower. Dirty sheets. The most uncomfortable mattress I have ever slept on. Room service (if you want to call it SERVICE) only on demand (the used sanitary pad was not removed even after the so-called cleaning service). Incompetent and unmotivated staff - Completely ignorant owners. Many insects. Overpriced food. It can be resumed in one word - FILTHY!!! We left prematurely... Do yourself a favour and just do not stay there!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tatjana T

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

We stayed there in April, one of the hottest month of the year. The lack of air condition was not a problem. The cabin was cooled by sea breeze and the ocean was 50 meters away.

The staff was friendly and one of the owners Luigi lived on the site. Luigi was super friendly , a great host and assured that the service was professional.

The property has two types of cabins. thatched huts on the left and newer wood cabins set 50 meters back. This may account for the differing reviews. If you stay in the newer wood cabins you will be very comfortable.

The property is family friendly and is best for tourists who are looking for a quiet time away.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wendyusa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Me and my partner stayed in a bungalow here in January. Koh Kradan is an amazing island - by far the best island I've been to in Thailand, and I've been to many! But that is where it stops.

DO NOT STAY HERE! It is infested with cockroaches. We bought some food back to our room (leftovers from dinner) and woke up to a scuttling noise. We turned on the lights to find our room infested with cockroaches - all over our floor, belongings and food. It was absolutely disgusting.

As the owners don't go to sleep until late as they're up partying and drinking with their music up loud, we went over to the owners and told them the situation. They blamed it on the island (this is so not true as I stayed at many island bungalows on my trip and no cockroaches at all) it is because in between each row of bungalows there are these man holes that have not been fully concreted so the cockroaches crawl through the gaps! Also it doesn't help that the floor boards have huge gaping gaps which the cockroaches then crawl up through into your room!!! The owners simply laughed and gave us some cockroach spray. Which did not help as there were just too many!

The owners are Italian so you'd think they'd be more caring, but they're not!! They're the opposite. After laying down towels and clothing over the gaps in the floor and having a very restless sleep, we checked out the next morning. To our surprise, the owner charged us a cancellation fee which is absolutely disgusting as we were checking out as their service and lack of looking after their bungalows was shocking!!!

We were talking to a few other families in the bungalows around us as they saw us spraying the man holes with the cockroach spray and then the armies of cockroaches. We later saw them checking out too.

One word, disgusting.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank Xavieremp

Travelers are raving about these Ko Kradan hotels

Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

I have been reading some bad reviews and i wondered: is it the same place? I have been at this kalume village for almost a week and my stay was so pleasant! let's start saying that the resort is located on probably the most beatiful beach i have seen in my life, the view from both the bungalow and the beach bar is just uncomparable, one very clear day we counted some like 16 different shape islands! The manager Luigi and Marina always sooo helpful. Rooms where nice and clean and i never had insects problem, not even mosquitos. Probably those having problems forgot a basic rule in thailand NEVER BRING FOOD TO YOUR BUNGALOW. The restaurant food was very good even if they coudn t always serve all plate on the menu dependig what arrives fresh from mainland. Room prices a bit high but we got a promotion and even if our booking on the web didn work Luigi gave to us the promotion anyway. My girlfriend is usually problematic to be in close contact with nature but there she completely relaxed. So don't trust haters go to check yourself ;) oh and i forgot the supersmiling staff old thai style!!!

Room Tip: Bamboo bungalows a step from the beach but small and for real nature lovers, Wooden very good with l...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank joemakenzie
Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

These were 3 nights I wi never forget!

It's sapose to be a wonderful amazing holiday right? Not here it won't be. After coming back from a nice meal at the Seven seas resort we come back to our beach bungalow to find over 20 huge cockroaches all over the bungalow they were everywhere. After my girlfriend screamed enough I got rid of most if them for hair five minutes, there are big gaps and wholes on the walls and floors there and no floor boards, so then ten minutes later there back again. Was a long night you can hear them walking around on the walls it sick.

When I woke up I noticed there are underground drains and man whole lids in between each bungalow. This is we're they are coming from. I tried to block the little drain wholes with kilos and kilos of sand but they still come back.

When I asked Luigi and Marina the owners, they blame it on the bush and island and don't realy give a F##k. All they wana do is get wasted and talk realy loud all night.

First night there was a family who was sharing 2 bungalows next to us They moved to koh kradan island resort because of these issues aswell. The next day a couple that was pregnant stayed they had booked for a week they moved out the next day as week she coundlt stand this place either.

That's 3 different groups of people moving cutting there stay short because of this low grade overpriced bungalows.

To make it worse you have to pay on arrival. A first for me, they say people to the runners and don't pay. I don't see we're they could run on this island is so small and you can't go anywhere without them knowing.

So I paid my 5 nights cash in advance. After my 3rd nights in cockroach hell and liesting to my girlfriend scream and cry all night I was like I can't do this anymore I'm used to backpacker bungalow but this was toping my head. When I said I'm leaving they were reluctant to give me my two days cash back for the night a I didn't stay. They took ten percent of my two days I didn't stay after all I had been threw. My god. I couldn't stand being there one more minute. I have been to thailand for 3 years every year for over a month traveling island and this is by far the worst bungalow expirence I have ever ever had!

DON'T STAY HERE! DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY! DON'T TAKE KIDS! DONT GO!

Kradan island resort is the best new cheapest on the beach bungalow owned by a nice guy called Bill go stay there was amazing compared to this zoo! Wish I went there first!

Shame on this place it could be a lot better with a bit of care and there not Thais there Italian! So the lazzy ness is crazy!

My sheets were also dirty and change, no toilet paper or water and one power socket just one!

Hate this place with a passion! Dead my head in for days on my holiday I will never get back!

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Troy2173
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed at Kalume for 3 nights (march 2013) and had a wonderful time! first of all the island is truely paradise. The water of the sea was super transparent and the jungle in the middle of the island was very fascinating (especially the noises coming from it). The Kalume offers very authentic Bamboo Bungalows directly on the shore - we could see the ocean 10m away from our beautiful terrace (with hammock!). The Bungalows are cozy and basic - no luxus but this is the reason why we loved it since the island consists of pure nature! The resort also offers free kayaking which is really great if you want to discover also the other side of the island. The massage was the most amazing one we had in our whole trip (thanks, Andrea!). The staff (Luigi & Marina) were always taking care of us. The kitchen was good and offered thai and italian food (try the caprese - yummie!). The beach belonging to the resort was always kept very (!) clean and there were hammocks everywhere to relax and enjoy the atmosphere. We really felt connected to the nature of the island. We can recommend this place to everybody! will definitely come back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maride_Knosa
Poole, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

I toiled with writing this review as I am a positive individual by nature and wouldn’t want to upset the owners of the resort, but after our personal experience with Kalume Village I felt compelled to write a review to balance the other somewhat questionable reviews that we read before going to Kalume, which falsely gave us a good impression of the resort, which quite frankly isn’t the case.

To start with I would like to initially say that the owners of the resort, Luigi and Marina, were very pleasant to us and I hold no bad feeling towards them personally, I just feel that they need to be aware of their resorts shortcomings, which are many, and to perhaps consider putting some love and comfort back into the place.

I want to just lay out the facts here instead of writing a story about the resort:
• The wooden bungalows are small, very hot and in poor state of repair
• The fan worked but wasn’t very efficient
• No fridge
• One power point
• The bed was small and mattress very old and uncomfortable
• The bedding was just two thin blankets the size of towels, one each, which barely covered from my neck down to my feet and didn’t look as though it had been cleaned
• The mosquito net had big holes in it
• The rustic shower and toilet was roomy but didn’t appear to be very clean. The shower water was not heated and the toilet was in a bad state of repair
• The nights were very noisy as the resort had a generator that was running all night

This was the second time that we have been to Thailand and have spent a total of two months travelling many different islands and areas of the country. Kalume is the only resort that we have ever visited that gave you absolutely nothing, not even one piece of toilet tissue let alone the normal daily ration of two bottles of water. We were actually asked to use our hand for cleaning ourselves after using the toilet as the proprietors had had problems with their drains. On learning this knowledge we sure weren’t going to risk eating at their extremely overpriced restaurant that’s for sure. I only purchased one item from the bar which was a can of coke costing Baht 60, over three times the usual price and the most expensive I have bought in any part of Thailand.

There was a terrible stench in and around our bungalow which upon asking the owners about it we were told that some puppies had been recently killed by other dogs and had been buried too close to the bungalows – the smell was dreadful. Whilst on the subject of animals, we had cockroaches scuttling around at night and on our second night there was actually a rat in our shower that ran out through a hole in the corner.

Although Kradan was a beautiful picture postcard island, we were so pleased to leave Kalume after our 2 night stay and felt lucky not to have become ill staying there. When we were initially researching accommodation on Kradan we read a lot of terrible reviews about another resort nearby called ‘Kradan Beach Resort’ which put us off going there, but on seeing the resort it looked absolutely palatial compared to Kalume, so we wished we had gone there instead - and no I don’t have any connections with them, it’s just how it is…

My advice is; if you are planning a trip to Kradan and contemplating staying three nights on a budget, then just choose a nicer resort and stay for two, you will have such a better experience and take positive memories back home with you, for us it was the lowest point of our holiday – by far!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 2 in Kantang
CoCo Cottage Koh Ngai
CoCo Cottage Koh Ngai
#1 of 7 in Ko Ngai

Been to Kalume Kradan Village? Share your experiences!