“GO EARLY!”

Private Tour: Floating Markets and Bridge on River Kwai Day Trip from Bangkok
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Famous for its tourist-friendly floating markets, Damnoen Saduak is the one you’ll find in the tourist literature on Thailand. Bring your camera along to witness the river packed with wooden boats overflowing with fruit and vegetables, which they sell to people standing on land. The scene is colourful and loud; just as you’d expect from a Thai market. Just 100km from Bangkok, it’s best accessed by package tour, which any local tour operator can organize.
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a wonderful way to spend a morning if you can get up and go at 5am-5:30am with your taxi driver at the ready! From Bangkok It's about and hour or so south west of the city. Be aware that depending on who your taxi driver knows or where he will take you that it may cost around 1500bt for the cab ride and another 3000bt for the long-tail boat through the canals to the market. Your cab driver will wait for you for the two hours it takes you to return from your adventure.
Be prepared with bug repellent! The canal is a great way to get to the market other than a direct drive there and is much more fun as you can make small stops on the way at different vendors stalls. You may come across one small market where you disembark to find everything made from coconuts that also has large vats of boiling coconut sap with gets reduced down to syrup. Back in the boat and on to the main market where you will be awestruck at all the beautiful fruits, vegetable, coconut juice, beer, and food canoes converge in organized mayhem! vendors on both sides of the cramped market selling their wares. One guy had an albino python in a box and would wrap it around your neck for a picture for a few bt. You can get out here and walk around and up on a bridge overlooking the whole mess and get some great shots. The trick is to get there early as is really starts to jam up tight if you don't!
So glad we did this and highly recommend it for something totally different and a brief chance to get out of the city!

1  Thank anthony f

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Nothing traditional, nothing aurhentique. Just a show for tourists. !00 boats full of tourists - 20 boats of sellers.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I did some research on floating markets prior to my trip. Although I knew that Damnoen Saduak was too touristy and crowded, I figured it would be safer for a tourist and it was one of the only ones opened on a weekday anyway.

Most of the shops sell the usual touristy stuff and are not really floating boats, just stalls set up by the river. The only fun part where you really get to buy from boats is at the market area where people really cook food on their boats. They sell food like noodles, grilled chicken wings, fruits and drinks... A coconut is 25baht.

Most of the items are definitely overpriced so you really got to bargain... To a fraction of their original quote. For example, we wanted to get a picture and a couple of those little boats, and she quoted us 1800baht for the picture and 120baht for each boat(after discount). In the end, I paid 1000baht for the picture and 7 boats.

From the pier, it is a short ride to the market area. Then there are just tons of shops and depending on what the package was negotiated earlier, you get to hang around for that amount of time. As I bargained for a lower rate, they only gave me a one hour package so I didn't get to go down for a walk. It didn't matter because the market was just some boring touristy place selling the same stuff and we got bored of seeing the same items after an hour anyway. I was on the boat all the way, happily eating, shopping and bargaining. In the end our trip lasted 1h 20mins and they didn't bring us to some temple that was supposed to be in our itinerary. It didn't matter bcos knowing how they usually operate, alighting at any additional stop may just mean more money being fleeced.

NOW HERE'S THE MOST IMPORTANT TIP:
Follow a tour there and NOT take a taxi. I was enquiring with a few places and it was all about 600baht per adult. I was told that I could pay 450baht for the transport to and fro, which included a stop at a sugar refinery. I was told I could shop around at the market and then pay 150baht directly to the boatmen if I wanted a ride in the river. The 450baht also included a free longtail boat ride from the pier to the market.

Thinking that the price of the transport was similar to taking a taxi, I decided on taking a taxi, which I had hired for 1500baht. However, when I arrived at the pier, I was quoted 2500 for the boat ride, for 2 adults and 2 young kids. I was shocked because the tour agencies had told me 150baht each. In the end I managed to bargain it to 1300baht, still twice of the original budget. The original 2500baht tour was 1h45m and included the temple visit as mentioned.

For the 1300baht, I got a boat ride from the pier to the market, round the market and back for an hour. So if you do your math, the tour would really be a much better deal.

I had checked with a group of 8 Europeans and they told me they paid 1000baht each for the same thing. 8 of them shared a boat while our family of 4 shared one. Very often, they tend to fleece more from people who don't bargain with them. So, my deal seems like a much better one though I still feel cheated and will definitely advise all to take the tour next time.

Nevertheless, for a tourist who has never seen a floating market before, it was a great experience. The kids enjoyed it too! Definitely worth the 1.5 hour drive from Bangkok.

6  Thank June L
Reviewed January 21, 2013

After a disturbing trip to the tiger temple I was so pleased I went to the floating market. A must see! The boat trip down the river to the market was relaxing and beautiful. Wen at the market, you get a real feel for Thai culture. But far the best tour I carried out during my 6 day visit to Bangkok.

1  Thank Louise F
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Reached the Boat jetty area by 6am , as was looking for early dawn pictures.
(Left from Bangkok city at 4:30am by booking a taxi.)
I Was traveling alone and found the 2 hour boat ride journey as amazing as in Venice.
However while returning back to the jetty I found that there were more than 25 bus load of people and enough tourist boats to engulf the market serenity.
So if you wish to enjoy the true original tranquility of the area start as early as possible.
I would like to share a few pictures taken on this trip and this was the highlight of my travel experience in Thailand.

3  Thank Rajesh1965