“It Kind of Grew on Me”

Ranked #25 of 74 Ayutthaya B&B and Inns
Osaka, Japan
“It Kind of Grew on Me”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I turned up over New Year without a reservation and found this place by just looking around. It's up a soi. There are two buildings, PU1 on the left, and the new extension, PU2 about another 15 meters on the right. I stayed in the new building, number two.

I was told there was only one single left. It was on the ground floor of the main building and the only non-attached room, priced at 300 with fan. The bathroom was opposite. There was a washing machine outside the door but I was told it wasn't in use. The room had a double bed, fan, table but no stool or chair, and a window that looked onto a courtyard. The long courtyard had tables and benches and a single story building on the other side with 300 bath rooms but with benches and attached toilet.

I checked in, and then a woman came and started the washing machine. I complained at reception and it was explained it's broken. The woman using it is from Lao (staff), doesn't speak Thai and doesn't understand it doesn't work. This went on for a day or so and I kept unplugging it.

The staff were a bit short with me but other times friendly. The matriarch who runs it is at the other place but I got to know her and she told me she was looking for 'volunteers' to work there.

At night time, I could hear people shower occasionally. There's a big fish tank in the back with a pump that goes on all the time.

But at the end of the day, I slept really well here. The bed was comfy. I didn't use mosquito coils but never got bitten. Past eleven pm. it was quite quiet.

Also, the fact it has this long strip with tables plus an upstairs verandah and a family feel I think it would be quite a good choice for someone with young children and I saw a few families check in.

But the non-attached room is overpriced.

My conclusion is: ... I liked it, but go for the attached fans or nicer.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Reviewed January 4, 2013

The hotel it's self was not too bad , the staff didn't speak much English and had a few problems communicating . The rooms where ok not great for the money. But the location is good! Not far from the night market. A boat trip round ayutthaya is not a bad idea but best thing is to use a bicycle , it's cheap fun and you see so much more in your own time !!! Bike places just round the corner as well as a couple good places to eat .

• Stayed December 2012
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

After being turned away from tonys place and having an awful nights sleep at 'good luck hostel' we found this one just off the main street. The staff are friendly and very helpful.
There is free wifi in the rooms and it is all very clean and looks new. We stayed In a room with a toilet which was very clean where everything looked quite new. Definately worth a stay off the main street where its a little quieter but not to out of reach! ****

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank tcbirdy
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed December 29, 2012

About us:
My boyfriend an me travelled in december 2012 to thailand. We are a backpackers who try to get clean and safe budget guesthouses without reservation/on the fly. Fan-rooms are prefered because you will get used to the climate faster (and it's cheaper). We travel with sleeping bags, locks, powerstrip, toiletpaper, towels etc. so we will not shun a guesthouse if you get no free soap there.

Review:
We arrived in Ayutthaya around noon an before we could even leave the train station a lady gave us the advertising fot this Guesthouse. We thought "how annoying" and followed another couple to a guesthouse with swimming pool which was (of course) booked out. On our way a second lady tried to advertise for the P.U. Guesthouse by saying that the Inn we searched was "not so clean" and that we should go to the P.U., so we had a really bad first impression of this Inn without even seeing it. In the end we took a look because it is mentioned in the Lonely planet and we were impressed. For 450B or so you get a really nice modern room, nevertheless we've choosen the one for 350B which was average. As far as I remember you get soap and towels there but our private bath room hat some leaking windows so we had to pretect our selfes from moskitos over the night. There was free Wifi and the possibility to apply your own lock. A appendant restaurant was nearby, the breakfast was not cheap but good. I can't remember any noises which is a good sign and as far as I remember the staff was really friendly and everything was clean.

Resume:
A bit hidden but not a bad choice.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more and you get a really comfy room
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed in an air conditioned room in the new building one night (when a friend was with us) and a fan room in the older building one night. Both rooms were very clean - catering to Japanese tourists helps here - and the staff was very helpful, warning us about the holiday travel crush we'd encounter at the train station and giving suggestions on other ways to make our way north. The buildings are just off the backpacker soi, which means you can walk to restaurants and bars in 2 minutes and street food in 5, but by being off the soi it's much quieter. I'd definitely stay here again.

1 Thank Philip_Levis_SF
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed December 25, 2012

I had stayed in this guesthouse 5 years ago, at that time travelling on a lower budget. Now I came back to see friends staying there and having breakfast with them. One problem is the language barrier. It seems as if only the Thai (lady) owner understands English. Still, I ordered 'omelet with mushrooms' with her, and I got 'omelet with tomatoes'. When I asked for a slice of lime with my tea, she said, they are out of season (which is nonsense) and one lime would be 6 Baht, which isn't true, either.
They must be making a lot of money, because they just built a huge second building across the soi with air con rooms at 800 Baht, to be opened soon.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
cambridge waikato
Reviewed December 22, 2012

We had a lovely time at this budget Inn, the staff were very accommodating and friendly, the location was excellent. PU organized scooters and laundry service. We checked in late with no worries, the Inn was quiet and clean. The fact there are bad reviews baffels me when your paying this amount what exactly do you expect!! stay at the Hilton if you want chocolates on the pillow and all the stuff you can have at home. Hard to fault this quaint little place. I would definitely stay here again!

2 Thank amy m