“Best week!”

Elephantstay
Ranked #8 of 80 things to do in Ayutthaya
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Elephantstay is an elephantastic unique program where you get to live, work and play with elephants, staying in the heart of the Royal Kraal village. Elephantstay is a not for profit program under the Phra Kochabaan Foundation.
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

I spent 7 days in the elephant village with my good friend. We had an amazing time and the food was so yummy. Our rooms had air con and there was free wifi. It was an experience learning about elephants and how to care for them. It is something that I will again and again.

1  Thank emmasaurus92
"moment you arrive"
"medical care"
"toast and spreads"

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Enjoyed the experience, the elephants require lots of food and I was happy to ride, buy food to help maintain the elephants. The ride was for 15 minutes which is enough for this urban environment. The elephants certainly have a sense of humor.

2  Thank BSonsie
Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband and I loved this place so much that next year when we revisit Thailand, we are going to come here again. This is, of course, a tourist attraction. But the tourists were Asian, not American or European, except for a few, of course. The elephants are wonderful to see and we even had our photo taken with a "teenage" elephant. My husband purchased a bucket of veggies and fed the elephant by hand. And when he gave the mahoot (trainer) a tip, my husband put the bill out and the elephant took it in his truck and gave it to the mahoot. The Thai people were just lovely. Don't miss this. It was better than all the fancy pagodas and temples.

1  Thank Ortlinde
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Also known as Royal Elephant Palace, once here the elephants were trained for war. There is also the pavilion where the ancient kings personally select their elephant. Today elephants carry tourists around, I think the prices are a bit 'high but for those who have never experienced such an experience, this is an excellent opportunity.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Three of the most magical days of my life were spent at Elephantstay.
At this amazing place you have the privilege of looking after a retired elephant. Here you will clean up after them, scrub, wash, ride, swim, water, feed, observe & fall in love with these majestic creatures! You actually have more contact with them than most elephant keepers in zoos!
From the very beginning we were welcomed as family. Like all families there are rules, boundaries & responsibilities, these were outlined in the induction. The staff were very accommodating. I had a couple of requests & they went the extra mile to make sure these requests were fulfilled.
The accommodation was basic but comfortable, and the food was so nice I often went back for seconds!!
I highly recommend Elephantstay to anyone visiting Thailand!

1  Thank ThaiCurrie