“Worst experience in 6 weeks ...”

Sai Thong Restaurant
Ranked #127 of 197 Restaurants in Ayutthaya
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed August 11, 2013

After 40 days in the country, this restaurant offered a bad experience to us. It wasn't so much the quality of the food (chicken with nuts was good, not the spring rolls), but welcome was bad, we've only get half of our orders (not the rice) and after a bit less than an hour, we received things we haven't choosed... This restaurant is clearly overpriced! Of course, there are worst things happend in the world and we, family of 5, having traveled from north to south, taking our lunch and dinner in markets or even inside people houses, were very lucky sofar...

Reviewed June 30, 2013

The only positive about Sai Thong was the view.

Now I don't normally like to moan but this place was just terrible. We stood like lemons in the entrance waiting for somebody to seat us and noone did. In the end we seated ourselves on the patio. After a lengthy wait we were finally brought our menu. Another long wait followed until our order was taken. The waitresses were miserable, sultry and thought they looked fantastic in thier too short mini skirts! Quite frankly they didn't!

The food arrived relatively quickly however the rice accompaniments took a further 10 minutes. By which time the meals were stone cold. Hot or cold didnt make any difference because I wouldn't have served this to my dog. Whoever thought serviing fatty duck with white crab meat (not mentioned in the meal description), with frankfurter sausage and packet ham all glued together in a vile gloopy gravy should not be running a restraunt.

When I complained at the end of our meal ( they did not check if everything was okay) she told me that the crab was tofu and then walked off. I then had to chase her with a piece of crab shell I had to remove from my mouth (whilst eating bloody duck!) to persuade that it was not tofu.

Eventually after inspecting the shell she reluctantly agreed to deduct my monstrosity of a meal from our total bill. She was clearly unhappy about this and an apology was never going to come.

All in all- avoid this place like the plague. Quite possibly the worst dining experience I have ever encountered!

1  Thank Christian R
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We read the reviews on TA and based on those visited this restaurant. It was sort of ok, but we had much better food elsewhere in Thailand and indeed in Ayutthaya. The meat in our Thai dishes was leathery and tough, but the sauce and veg were quite nice. The service was terrible, the waitress was busy on her mobile phone or picking her nails and totally ignored us until I waved my napkin around my head. The singer was excellent and did a good job with his cover numbers. The view is lovely, over the temples and the river. There is quite a nice atmosphere with lots of customers. Perhaps we just went on a bad night.

1  Thank Coolkoala
Reviewed March 13, 2013

the food was awesome, the beer was cold & the view fantastic!!! The spicy steamed fish with lemon sauce & the char grilled prawns were to die for!!! The nicest food we've had in Thailand!!

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Seafood served in a coconut, steamed fish in chili and lemon sauce and seafood fried rice, all very yummy, a good location too, what is not to like about it?