“An eye opener for our family”
Review of Ayutthaya Ruins

Ranked #4 of 68 things to do in Ayutthaya
Bali, Indonesia
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“An eye opener for our family”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We hired driver for our family of 5 adults 2 kids to visit these beautiful places.. There are many sites in this complex, so we pick the top 8.. All of us having great experiences and it sadness in the same time when we visualize how the beautiful palace, temples has been burnt and destroyed during the invasion and saw the headless buddha statues because bad people cuts the heads for jewels in it..

After visiting ruins we also ride the elephants.. It's a good experience as we rode this giant elephants in their origin lands..

Visited November 2012

30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Very Interesting!!!”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Beautiful place, make sure you have a guide with you to explain what the different places were used for and what happened to the different buildings. The ruins require quite a bit of walking- mostly flat ground but it is hot so wear a hat and take water- also make sure u can slip in and out of shoes easily u will visit many temples!!!

Visited November 2012
Toronto, Canada
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Picturesque historic ruins, worth hiring a guide to see.”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

The historic Ayutthaya temples was really cool to see -- there are so many picturesque spots in this large complex and this is such an important part of Thailand's history. You could take a train from Bangkok for really cheap, but we decided to join a tour instead. Because of the amount of history that's linked, we wanted to make sure we had a guide there to explain the the historical references. The coach bus ride from Bangkok was about two and a half hours to Ayutthaya. Our guide took us to Wat Phra Mahathat (a large temple with different buildings, and has the famous Buddha head tree on the grounds) and Wat Lokayasutharam (temple of the reclining buddha) -- there are many temples in Ayutthaya and those are the two most impressive ones to visit here.

Visited January 2013
Brisbane, Australia
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 170 helpful votes
“A GREAT DAY OUT INDEED!”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I caught the train from Bangkok to Ayutthaya & it cost me 15 Baht. That is soooooo cheap it's ridiculous! After arriving at Ayutthaya I headed off across the road from the train station & down a side street. I bought a very welcome & refreshing Cha Dam Yen ( iced black tea ) I then hired a motorbike from the same lady who had made my tea, again ridiculously cheap at 100 Baht. Using the bike I took myself all around the ruins of Ayutthaya & had a fantastic day. There are some wonderful sights to see & 1 day probably isn't enough but it was all I could spare during my trip.
On my way back I called at the huge temple in Ayutthaya, again a beautiful sight & then stopped at the roadside & fed some very greedy baby elephants which was lots of fun. After taking the motorbike back I decided to head back to bangkok in a little more luxury & so paid the 100 Baht for the air conditioned mini bus ride back to Victory Monument. A great day out indeed!

Visited March 2013
3 Thank NawtyStupot
Houston, Texas
130 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“Photo opportunities abound”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We booked this as part of an all day tour of Bangkok temples and ruins. Yes, it is about an hour drive of Bangkok but well worth it especially if you love to take pictures. Black and whites would be awesome here. The history of the place is immense and it's worth getting a tour guide. We booked a private guide with transport and it was great and well worth all the information they could give us. It is hot especially in March so come prepared with water and bring a towel to wipe the sweat off you. The buddha head in the tree is really neat but remember to kneel down when you take a photo with it or the guards will remind you to do it in respect.

Visited March 2013