“Awful staff and not great facilities”

Baan Are Gong Riverside Homestay
Ranked #12 of 76 Ayutthaya B&B and Inns
Brisbane, Australia
“Awful staff and not great facilities”
Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

We booked this guesthouse on agoda and checked in for a 2 night stay in a superior queen room with a private bathroom and hot water shower. Upon check in, we were told that the hot water was broken and if we wanted to have a hot shower we would have to go upstairs and use the shared bathroom that the other rooms share. At first, I accepted this but upon thinking on it I realised that I had paid extra to have a private bathroom so went to discuss it with the owner. As they were full, she couldn't move us. After a lengthy discussion, her and her sister decided that an appropriate amount of compensation (as they had already received our money via agoda) was 30 baht ($1) a day. I'm sure that we were given the broken room as our money was already received and I said to the lady that "if you didn't already have our money we would leave and go somewhere else". This is what prompted the giving of 30 baht a day.

We decided to have lunch at the hotel as we'd travelled for 6 hours and it was easy. My fried rice was boring and service was slow. I ordered a large bottle of water - "no have, only have small" so I ordered a small bottle of water. After 10 mins of waiting I went to the fridge and got it myself, none of them were even cold.

Pros:
Good airconditioner
Large tv (albeit with one English Channel)
Comfy pillows
Decent wifi strength

Cons:
Rock hard bed
Walls that don't go all the way up in the bathroom so smells dissipate across the room
Door that closes by padlock only and thus can be opened a little
Barking dogs in the hallway directly outside the door that wake you up multiple times a night (owners dogs and they didn't try to silence them). Also some very loud people in the middle of the night. I think it's the owners locking the place up.
Our room wasn't made up, not even new toilet paper was given.
No hand soap for the wash basin

Additionally, we booked a scenic boat trip with the owner. She seemed very disgruntled that she actually had to do something. She phoned the man and he came to collect us. I only speak very basic Thai but I distinctly heard the words for 300 mentioned at least twice. We were charged 400. 100 baht cut for a phone call? A bit much.

The icing on the cake is when we checked out. We asked if we could sit in the restaurant and order some drinks (eg be paying customers) and we were told yes, but that a tour group was coming and we needed to be gone by then. It's not like we were just asking to sit for free, we ordered drinks.

Very unhappy, wouldn't recommend this due to the poor attitude of the staff. For the price, the facilities aren't great.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank mizjess

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Lop Buri, Thailand
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Very clean, nice and beautiful guesthouse. But most of all very kind people who can help you with anything. In front of the place is the old guesthouse which burned down a few years ago. But you will have to look past that. It is near the train station and right next to the ferry. On the downside, the rooms are a bit noisy but there you have earplugs voor toch?

Room Tip: You don't need AC!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Florida
Reviewed January 11, 2013

You could not ask for a more convenient location for a guesthouse. Exit the train station , cross the street and go to the end of the Soi. If that was not enough the ferry to Ayutthaya Island is located just beyond the the hotel - maybe 20 yards. The rooms are small but clean with ensuite and strong WIFI. The staff is excellent and speak English well. A real deal for about $16 double!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dresden, Germany
Reviewed January 8, 2013

The lady who owns the place speaks good English and is very helpful, although she can be sometimes a bit impatient while talking to her. The shared bathrooms are very clean and the place has a nice atmosphere with all the wood around. We stayed in the rooms upstairs which were a little bit noisy due to the thin wooden wall to the neighbour rooms. It's very near to the train station (5 mins walk) but also just next to the riverside. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Check the walls to the neighbour rooms. Some are just made out of glass and covered with a curtain.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We spread our family of six over three rooms. The two downstairs rooms had great aircon but also curious glass doors so you had to keep the curtains drawn for any privacy. Upstairs was charming traditional Thai in all wood decor but walls are thin and offer NO sound attenuation from, say, amorous neighbors. The appeals are many. A great riverside location next to the ferry pier which will take you across to the main temples and attractions. The food is very good and best of all, the hostess is incredibly helpful and speaks English well. She helped us with a miscommunication with a bike rental place down the street. She gets really high marks for hospitality. Cute, cozy
place to chill out.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 24, 2012

This place is just across the train station and very convenient. Lovely owner and very helpful, she actually ran out quite far to past me the guide book which I asked earlier. The room is nice, although need to share bathroom outside. I was lucky last night quite cold even I just have a fan room without air condition. The structure of the house still remain the Thai traditional style, with teak wood and thai's door.

There are some tuktuk driver on the road will tell you Baan Are Gong had burnt, but please don't believe it. It'd renovated and stay charming here. I'm sitting at the restaurant by the river now to enjoy my meal and writing this review.

The bicycle rental around here are 40 Baht, but I recommend you cross the river first, there are plenty of bicycle rental the opposite site and same price, if not you will have to carry the bicycle like a cow (like me) to the boat...

Room Tip: I came alone so just got the twin bed room with out decoration. The couple room opposite me is reall...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

This is a bit of a mix bag. We stayed for three nights- originally 2 but extended because of service and location.

Good points-
- ladies that run the place are incredibly helpfull and kind. Helped us with onward travel and advice on what to do
- feels quite safe and secure
- good food at fair prices
- location is right next to train station and ferry to the island where most temple sites are. Albeit a good 20 min walk is required after that.

Bad points-
- we stayed in new room downstairs (not one of the attractive Thai style rooms) which had a glass door. This had a curtain but it didn't come right down to floor. My gf found this slightly disconcerting.
- the room had loads of Mosquitos we killed as many as possible but we were both bitten several times
- there was a dreadful smell from toilet when we flushed. So bad we tried not to flush unless necessary.
- poor drainage caused our toilet/wet room to flood first night.

Summary-
Please don't be too put off by bad points it's not a bad establishment and I would stay again but I would not recommend downstairs rooms.

• Stayed December 2012