“Nothing exciting here. Just a normal looking market”

Ayothaya Floating Market & Elephant Village
Ranked #40 of 72 things to do in Ayutthaya
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Nothing exciting here. Just a normal looking market that is built on water. I was expecting merchants to be in boats but that wasn't the case. Don't waste your time really.

There are newer reviews for Ayothaya Floating Market & Elephant Village

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Very good free Thai dance & other Thai performance on weekends. It's like Thai local food market with big pond in the middle. You just get your food/drinks, find some table to sit and enjoy the shows. Price is cheap compare to other places that has similar shows since it's also welcome locals (not just for foreigners).

Reviewed September 15, 2013

My wife and me spent half a day in this lovely (and free) Market. It's called "Floating" which is a bit misleading...don't expect a typical floating market with endless boats. But it's nonetheless a market worth visiting. Parking is free.

My wife is originally from Thailand, she already knew this place and we had a very good time here. It's got a very nice setting and lots of small shops with all different kind of products (from clothes to sweets, kitchenware, wine, toys and lots more). There's a bunch of bathrooms around too. They charge a small fee, but are clean.

Of course, it's a bit a hit'n'miss. Some deals are very good and fair...and some are not. Be sure to compare and walk the whole thing first before buying loads of stuff at the first shop. Since my wife is Thai we knew where and what to shop. There's plenty of food options if you feel hungry. But also here you have to compare prices and quality. The best choice for a good, cheap and authentic meal was just outside the main entrance (a Thai soup - check my pic).

Some parts of the market are a bit dated and the animals might offend some people. But once you get past that, you can have a really good time here. There's some international tourists around, but this market mostly caters to national tourists (or people like me). You might not like it all, but this place offers a lot of Thai products from all over the country and Thai food in one place. We had lots of fun and really recommend it.

Wanna know more about me and my travels? Check my profile (with a link to my website).

Reviewed July 21, 2013

First of all, TripAdvisor needs to get clear on the fact that there are two floating markets in Ayutthaya. The "Ayutthaya Klong Sa Bua Floating Market & Water Theatre" is north of the island. The "Ayothaya Floating Market" is in the Dusit neigborhood east of the city. The address above is for the Klong Sa Bua market, but there seem to be reviews here for both markets. My review is for the Ayothaya Floating Market.

Don't expect too much in terms of authenticity. In any case, from what I understand, there really are very few traditional floating markets left in Thailand; they're basically all tourist attractions now. The thing that I found interesting about the Ayothaya market is that, at least on the day I went there, it seems to be as much of a tourist attraction for Thai tourists as for foreigners. I found this to be interesting. There aren't too many boats and the ones that are are on permanent moorings. But the market is kind of pretty and if you wind your way to the back, there are food stands that seem pretty good. In the end, it's worth an hour of your time and a tuk tuk ride.

3  Thank mulsone
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Nowadays, for the most part all of the authentic old time floating markets are gone-victims of civilization. A real shame because they were a unique Thailand experience. I live in Thailand and have visited them in the past.

This "floating market" in Ayuthaya is a fabricated tourist attraction, but if you haven't been to one, this is a fun experience. If you're in the city to see the fabulous temples, this is worth a couple of hours. Admission is free.

It's a Disneyland style floating market. There are free cultural shows, lots of food experiences and clothing and souvenir shopping. Prices are fair but you should try to bargain. They cater primarily to Thai tourists who pack the place on the weekends. Most eatery's have an English menu or can speak a little English. You can sit on a cool Thai style veranda overlooking the klong with tourist boats passing by, enjoying a Chang beer and some barbecue pork on a stick or full on Thai meals.

Even though we live here, we've visited it a couple of times and had fun.

If you come in a private car or taxi, BEWARE of signs near the market directing you to parking. This is pay parking, and if you continue right to the market there is free parking all around in the back. We've always found parking.