We were a group of 7 people and had to book two rooms. As usual, true to our group's reputation, we could not book rooms till the last week of our travel (last week of May 2013) and unfortunately there was only one 3-bedded A/C room available and the rest were all Double A/C. So, I booked one 3-bed and one 2-bed with extra pax. Their website mentions a check-in time of 10 AM, which is plain stupid as most trains arrive early morning in Rameshwaram, but need not worry as the reception takes the actual check-in time as the benchmark.
Coming to the positives and negatives:
1. Very close to the temple/Bay of Bengal (aka Agnitheertham). In fact, the hotel's backyard is on the shores. One can get lovely sunrise and sunset views from the reception itself. One can as well request for first-floor rooms so as to enjoy the sea view. There is a boat jetty just behind the hotel, from where one can go on pleasure trips. Having seen the crowd at Gateway of India in Mumbai and other similar places like Kanyakumari, I would say there are not many takers for this facility in Rameshwaram, wondering why. Of course, even I did not take a boat ride because of lack of time.
2. The campus is sprawling and huge. It has a huge parking lot being a government hotel. The campus has a small garden, children play area, etc. The surprise was that none of play equipment was rusted. There were a few birds too. Looks eco-friendly.
3. Multicuisine vegetarian restaurant and permit room within the campus. I did not try their food, though coffee was okay.
4. Laundry services are really good. Within 2-3 hours, you get back your clothes.
5. Rooms were moderate in size and have sit-outs on the sea-facing side and okay in maintenance, but one cannot expect for such a competitive tariff.
6. Please ask for complimentary breakfast.
1. Of course, as with every other TTDC property, room service is something they have not heard of. Absolutely nobody to your help, but on checking out, all of sudden, you see a lot of people gathering around you for tips, the only way to take attendance is to announce that you are checking out.
2. Rooms can be maintained a bit better having seen their property in Kanyakumari which was exceptionally good. Do not think cottages are available, only rooms I suppose.
3. No lifts, of course, there is no need as it is only G+1.
Overall, if you do not find it difficult to help yourself.with small things like coffee, breakfast, etc., then this must easily the best budget property in Rameshwaram.
NB: There seems to be a change in tariff effective June 1, 2013, with roughly 20-25% increase.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The only beach resort in the island.Operating since 1975.A government of Tamilnadu undertaking. ... more less