“Prime Location, Average Hotel”
Review of JC Woodville Manor

JC Woodville Manor
Reviewed April 18, 2009

We stayed in the Family room in this Hotel during the Peak Season of April 2009.The Room had 2 rooms inbuilt where 4 Can stay with comfort. As every one knows , we can hardly find fans in any place in Kodaikanal and same applies here. The room was very cool, as we cant walk inside without floaters. The bathroom was very average with a Ancient Water Heater which is very difficult to operate.
Water is totally yellow in color and I dont know whether its the same all over Kodai. Room service is also OK type. When I said that the Water Heater is not working, he took me to the dormitory room in the 2nd floor and asked me bath in the bathroom there. Thank God the Room was totally empty with all 10-15 beds Vacant.

The best thing about this hotel is its Locality.Its there in Stone's throw distance from all places, very next to Bus Stand.
Regarding Food, Please go to Hotel Astoria which is very next to this place.Excellent Vegetarian Hotel with Very Nominal Price.
I felt like eating in a Chennai Hotel(I reside in Chennai).

I recommend this Hotel for people who dont care much about the room facilities and just want to stay.

Go for it!!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank CoolGuyChennai

Reviewed March 11, 2008

I booked this through a backpacking website. I am backpacking on a trip through India and I selected this hotel for my stay in Kodaikanal because it had a dorm. However, when I arrived the receptionist told me that I could not stay in the dorm because only groups could book it. In that case, WHY does the website and booking agents allow individuals to book one dorm bed?

I suspect one of two things happened here - either they looked at this white woman and wanted to squeeze more money out of me (I mean this is India and all foreigners have unlimited cash and can afford to stay in the most expensive hotel rooms) and refused to let me have the dorm bed because a standard single is over three times more the price, OR, as is common practice in India, they advertise dorm beds online purely in order to get people going in on false pretences. Either way, I am not happy about this and I reduced the number of nights I stayed there due to the high cost of the room.

Also, I handed in some laundry as there is absolutely nowhere to do so in the rooms. I explained to the receptionist that my situaton was desperate and I had no other clean clothes than the ones I was wearing. He told me the clothes would be back in the afternoon. When I returned to the hotel in the early evening, I was told my laundry would arrive in the morning. Next morning I asked for my laundry - it would arrive in the evening they told me. I was so angry about this as I really didn't have any clean clothes. As a backpacker, I am packing light and normally this is not a problem as I can do my own washing quickly.

The room is of an okay standard. When I went in, the bathroom was filthy with a very dirty toilet and muddy floor. I requested it to be cleaned and it was done straightaway. There is not actually a shower - just a bucket and jug. There is hot water, which is very unusual for India.

I don't really recommend this place for backpackers travelling light on a budget. This place is fine however for mid range travellers and groups, preferably with lots of luggage.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo