“Average only plus is the location and even the Minus also the Same”

Kodai - By The Valley, A Sterling Holidays Resort
Ranked #10 of 78 Hotels in Kodaikanal
Bengaluru, India
“Average only plus is the location and even the Minus also the Same”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We went at the time of November to Kodai and we have booked through Make My Trip for 3 Days. Initially in the Net some where they have told it is Just 5Kms from Kodai , but when we went there it is Almost 7 kms and I Never Knew that there is no autos in Kodai. So We had to pay 200rs for the Omni or Cab to reach there . When We went there and After seeing my Room , It's Just ok ok not as I Expected . It didn't reach My Expectations because the Room is kind of not so Pleasant . The only thing That I liked is the location is so beautiful and that when U wake Up in the morning u can see the sunrise and clouds that u feel u can touch and the outside area also So Nice . And at the Same Time Coming after 8'o Clock In the Evening would be a little Difficult so we used to rush all 3 days before 6.30 . There is no Hotels Near by so we had to eat over there and the Prices are very high and Food is Just Ok ok.
So All in all It's Just a Very nice location but don't expect Much from Sterling Brand [ When it comes to hotel rooms and all ] .

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank AmrapaliRajesh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Bangalore
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We drove 8 hours from Bangalore to Kodai. When we reached Kodai, I could not see a single sign pointing to this resort. When I finally saw one which was almost next to the gate of the resort it was a sign of A4 Size. Without Google maps I would have taken another 1 hour more to find this place. Thank you G Maps.

After dealing with the receptionists. We could go to our room. We were completely tired and we were expecting a good place to just crash. But when we entered the room all our aspirations came crashing down. The room which was allotted to us was, I could not find a softer word to describe it, was with a stench and the air was damp. I did not feel least bit welcoming into the room. I started to wonder how we would sleep in this room for 4 more days. My initial thoughts were "I just hope we don't catch a flu here...".

So my wife(who owns the property and was one of the first investors in Sterling) and I decided to ask for a change in the room. We called them up from our room, spoke to the management several times very gentle, but they kept on saying that there are no other rooms available. We gave a thought and we decided to checkout and go to some other resort or a hotel. So we went to the front desk and this time we spoke harshly to them and told them that we would vacate the room and suddenly, in a matter of just few seconds, "magically" a renovated room was found to be un-occupied. So they allotted this room to us.

We moved into the new room. Now what should I say about this other room. It was no doubt renovated recently, so it wasn't stinking like the other one. But the bathroom was pathetic! It had no ventilation what so ever and worse was it's floor, it had a reverse gradient, can you guess what I mean by that? Let me explain, so when we showered in this bathroom, the used soap water was not actually going out through the vent on the floor, NO, but was actually flowing away from it and filling up the whole bathroom area, the water was almost raising up to our toes. If we had continued to shower without taking some action, the water would have even flowed out into the room, so every time we showered, in the next 4 days, at least twice, we had to push away this water away, into it's sink, with our bare feet. :-( And another crazy thing I observed in the bathroom was the hot water controller(The water tap...), it was acting crazy either it was spewing out very hot water, almost steam! Or freezing ice cold water, in both the conditions we had to run away from under the shower.

Now coming to fixed utility charges, this was a total RIP-OFF. My wife and I were almost everyday either going out of the room but we had to pay a fixed utility costs for electricity and water. They might as well call it as room rent rather than as utility charges. We hardly used any electricity and very little water for which we had to pay 675 Rs.

The food was the only relief. The a-la-carte ordered food was very tasty.

Room Tip: 1. Check the bathrooms, thoroughly before you take the place. 2. Rooms on the east side have a good...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vikramtheone
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I've been to kodai 10yrs back, but what i experienced this time was totally amazing. Of course my trip brought back old memories but the trip this time was far better.. Be it the renovated rooms or the food or the entertainment.. It was all in all a totally wonderful vacation.. All thanks to Mr. Charles the Acting Resort Manager who helped us with everything. He was well versed with everything around kodaikanal. Thanks to the entertainment team for keeping my son entertained at all times. Also, Ms. Khushim's (I'm not very sure of the name - the lady - bakery chef) croissants, puddings and desserts were something to die for. The food was tasty... room service was excellent... rooms were very clean.. Overall a wonderful experience. Would totally recommend!!!!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Naushmaj
Reviewed November 6, 2012

The membership e- booking was made well in advance with a specific request to allot a renovated room ......
After a happy 4 hours drive we reached the resort just before lunch. On checking in, we were very disappointed to hear that renovated rooms were not available and due to the long week end they are completely sold. We had no option but to accept the one allotted to us.
From the outside the place looked very beautiful and all was Good until we entered the room.... it was in a very very bad condition ... the toilet 'omg' it was terribly bad... The charm of rooms have withered off in the past 18 years of operation.
So... at the moment please do not expect much from the rooms of this resort... at least for a year, because this resort with a 150 rooms is under renovation and some 30 rooms have been completely striped and renovated to the core. It was unfortunate that I didn't get one.
But, otherwise... the ambiance, the room service, house keeping, the restaurant, quality of food were all very good. The resort doesn't have a bar but that isn't a problem, beer was served in the room. The spa was too small and in the massage room it was oil everywhere..not good.
After the completion of renovation work the resort will be a 5 star property and the room profile will be much better than in a 5 star hotel... were the words from the staff at the reception.

See photos for the good, bad, and the ugly..

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room... but most of the renovated rooms are guest rooms which are located very c...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mohan_suil
SterlingHolidays, Owner at Kodai - By The Valley, A Sterling Holidays Resort, responded to this review, February 6, 2013

Greetings from Sterling Holidays!

We are concerned that you were dissatisfied with our room allotment and maintenance. We would like to let you know that we have made note of your complaints. We have noted down your feedback on our rooms and recreation services as well. We assure you that we will look into it and take the necessary actions.

We hope that you will visit us again and give us an opportunity to showcase our true standards of service. We deeply value your feedback and want to thank you for taking the time out to let us know your views.

Coimbatore, India
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I stayed in this place coz I have a membership of Sterling Holidays. I knew almost all properties of sterling on under renovation(the maintanence was very poor earlier), I went there with an Idea, that I am not going to stay in a better place.

But for my surprise, the GRM room given to me was renovated and I didnt expect such a good room in Sterling. The room was spacious, had a good view of valley through the french window and had a excellent view of the Lawn in the resort once open the door.
Toilet was also clean and good. The bed was also comfortable and gave a peaceful sleep

Guys but please do maintain the same, else sterling would go back to its scary days.....

the room service was prompt and polite and the quality of food was well above the average levels.

I love this property for its terrain with in the property, prefer a room @ the highest lvl of the resort.

the holidays activities which they organise inhouse is also good, ppl who stay could make their stay rememberable.

Since I am a member the tariff is toooooooo low and I bet for the price I paid I cant even imagine to get a room lik dis in Kodai......so its very much cost effective.

Would visit again if they keep up this renovation with proper maintanence......

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank Vignesh_Madhavan
Bangalore
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Sterling valley view is good enough, if you are willing to overlook poor upkeep and maintenance, especially of the rooms. The property is nice and sprawling and is away from the maddening crowds of Kodai town. But frankly, they could have done so much more with it. Instead what you have is decent sized rooms, ok food, typical average resort look and feel, peeling paint in some of the rooms, stp smell in some other rooms, view around that is mostly just terraced hillside farms ... as I said, its ok, but certainly not a boutique or exclusive hill station feel.

Room Tip: Quality of rooms varies significantly. So does the view. Difficult to point out which rooms are the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank msandeep
SterlingHolidays, Owner at Kodai - By The Valley, A Sterling Holidays Resort, responded to this review, December 27, 2012

Greetings from Sterling Holidays!

We would like to let you know that we have made note of your complaints. We have noted down your feedback on our rooms and F&B services. Please be assured that we are making the changes that will showcase our property in a way that earns your appreciation.

New Delhi, India
Reviewed August 22, 2012

One can get a panoramic view of hills around from this well laid out complex. If you want to be far from the madding crowd and just relax in the sun this is a preferred destination. The lake which is the centre of hot and happening, is about 5 km away and you pay through you nose for a cab ride. The rooms are shabby – we were told that the whole place is under renovation; make sure that the process is over before you visit the place. The electric supply is erratic; but there is a flip side also. Our visit was near about full moon and it was comfortably cold. In a moonlit night without interfering halogens, it was definitely a romantic treat. The food was oily, spicy, neither south Indian nor North Indian style; but the service was good. Though visitors are mostly from places other than Tamil Nadu, the TV provides only a few non-Tamil channels.

Room Tip: All rooms are more or less the same
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Abhijit L
SterlingHolidays, Owner at Kodai - By The Valley, A Sterling Holidays Resort, responded to this review, September 29, 2012

Greetings from Sterling Holidays!

We appreciate your positive feedback. We would like to let you know that we have made note of your complaints.