“good stay & staff”

Kodai - By The Lake, A Sterling Holidays Resort
Ranked #9 of 78 Hotels in Kodaikanal
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I went to kodai by the lake ,the staff i front office was very good and helpful , the food was good and rooms also good ,it is enjoy placing and evening programs are also good ,The Staff Jia is good helping person

2  Thank Suba2014

Reviewed February 1, 2014

Hi Sterling Team,
I would like to share my experience with regards to our family stay from 26th Jan 2014 to 30th Jan 2014. We had a warm welcome at the reception from Jia. Jia was polite and courteous who understood tired journey, made a speedy check in (15 Mins) and provided initial rooms in the 1st floor (407, 408). Then after reaching to the room, I requested to Jia to shift us to Ground Floor since my mother can’t walk every time 15 to 20 steps. So Jia arranged us the rooms in the ground floor in 15 Mins and shifted us to 402 and 403.
After our sweet experience in the first 30 Mins, we ordered for Sandwich (Veg) to Room Service Team. There we had our 1st bitter experience after we received our Veg Sandwich with little French fries in each plate. Quantity was very less (just 2 slices of bread with fries) but the price was very high compared to the quantity served. We managed to go out to finish our dinner rather than having at the resort after our 1st bitter experience.
Next day morning, 8AM IST we received the 2nd atrocious experience when we asked the front office team for Newspaper, they said that we need to walk to reception for any news paper reading and cannot be sent to the room.
Then the 3rd bitter experience surprised us when we switched on TV. We came to know that only 25 Tamil channels are available and none of the English Channels are available in your cable Videocon D2H service. We experienced ZERO quality in picture through Videocon D2H service, always Ghost Picture. When we requested the front office team on this picture regard and news paper no one responded promptly. After repetitive follow-up, we got newspapers on 29th Jan and 30th Jan. But the picture quality, channel availability in the TV was never fixed. No mobile networks are available (Poor Signal) inside your premises. Every time we had to make a call, walk out of the room and try for some 10 Mins.
Then the 4th bitter experience when we called Housekeeping team for providing some cutleries in 403, we did not receive one until we had repetitive follow-up till 30th Jan 2014, finally before check out on 30th Jan 2014 around 3PM IST, we got the cutleries in 403. The same prompt service was provided at 27th Jan in room 402 when we asked for cutleries.
5th bitter experience was on 27th Jan 2014 when I took shower at Room 402, water did not flow out and I had to personally do some activity to start having the water flow out of the logged inside the bathroom. Then after me, my wife took shower and she did the same. I raised an issue with maintenance team, they immediately attended to the same but unfortunately by 4PM IST, they had the issue fixed.
Last but not the least, 6th bitter experience was in our bill. I had my first item in the bill as “Holiday Activity” charged with Rs.27/- when I asked explanation with regards to the same, it took some 15 Mins for the reception team to find out and let me know that this charge related to “Internet Usage” at Sterling Resort Business Centre. So I asked them where the Business Centre is and was immediately shocked with the response from the front office team when they said “If you did not use it, it might be your spouse who would have used it”. I explained to the front office team, I am ready to pay the bill of Rs.27/- if I have used it, then they asked for someone from the team to come in and there comes the man with an explanation that it’s a mistake, typo error instead of entering that in Room 422, it was charged to Room 402. Receptionist tells me, we have adjusted that in the bill, removed the entry, here is the new bill and then finally I paid the amount using my credit card. I did inform the front office team stating that I do have internet in my mobile then why should I come to Business Centre to access the same.
Pros:
1. 1st day warm welcome from Jia
2. Bathroom fixtures and rooms were clean
Cons:
1. No newspaper to rooms (even though the room brochure states that we are eligible for one)
2. No free mineral water provided like the other hotels / resorts do
3. No value added services like Hair Dryer (Until we ask for and housekeeping team respond to provide the same)
4. Room Heater which is fitted in the wall like split air conditioner doesn’t work with the temperature adjustment
5. Quality of the picture in Videocon D2H was atrocious and had to go for an eye check up after watching those channels.
6. No news channels (English) available in the Videocon D2H
7. Pathetic and ridiculous billing service, after root cause analysis from the customer there comes an explanation without any apology for the mistake of Business Centre team
8. We did not experience courteous service from all the staff except maintenance team, Jia from front office, couple of gardening staff (Don’t remember the names) old gentleman
9. Pathetic drainage system which blocked our water outflow from the bathroom
10. Pricing Vs Quantity served by room service team

Overall Recommendations:
I am working for Hilton Hotel Corporation, USA and I know how the customer would feel the value for money when they come for leisure holiday. I did not feel the way when we had a leisure stay at your resort.
None of our family members would recommend this resort to anyone with our near / dear family members, friends, colleagues and others as well, so that they don’t curse us later point of time just because of this reference. We don’t get any strain in our relationship just because we refer anyone.
We hope after reading this review by mail or at Trip Advisor you would advise your team and make necessary steps to avoid this kind of bitter experience if you want to sustain within hospitality industry.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with good mobile signal, TV's picture with better quality
10  Thank Kris R
Reviewed January 15, 2014

The experience we have had is mixed with some great moments and some events that turned sour. During check in, we didn’t get the room with basic amenities like foot mat, hand towel and body lotion. We had to make several calls to get the same.
Property was well maintained and housekeeping staff cleaned the room well every day.
Few more drawers need to be added to room furniture and TV picture quality needs to be improved.
Restaurant staff was quite friendly and even arranged ginger tea when I asked though only plain tea was served at the breakfast table. Food was a pleasant surprise and we loved some of the preparations. Lohri was organized with great spirits and everybody jived with the music.
We also availed the trekking package and the trekking instructor Sambit was very jovial person and took good care of the group specially kids.
All good things came to an end during check out. I was asked to fill up the feedback form and I took good 20 minutes to give my candid feedback along with the praises for Mathan and his team. After I handed over the feedback form, the front desk personnel Ms R.D. started questioning me for all the ratings. She asked me to change the ratings seeking clarifications and cross sign the changed ratings. It was ok till front desk ratings but then she started asking for housekeeping ratings too. It was quite annoying as the feedback was not welcome even though I had lots of good rating and excellent feedback for Mathan and Sambit (Trekking guide). Finally I had to tear my feedback form and leave. My question is that why the front desk personnel has the right to discuss the rating with the customer. The encounter lingered on for few hours and spoiled the rest of my day.

5  Thank manjag01
SterlingHolidays, Owner at Kodai - By The Lake, A Sterling Holidays Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Dear Sir / Ma’am,

Greetings from Sterling Holidays! We thank you for taking time to share a detailed review of your stay at Kodai-By the Lake.

We have duly noted your concerns regarding the amenities provided in the room. Your feedback has been shared with the resort management team. We have also taken a special note of your concern regarding front desk personnel discussing ratings given by you on the feedback from. Please be assured that corrective action will be taken wherever required.

We thank you for the positive feedback on the staff and food at the resort. Such compliments inspire us to strive harder and deliver exceptional holiday experiences.

We look forward to your next holiday with us.

Sterling Holidays Team

Reviewed January 13, 2014

The resort is by the Lake side but very few rooms get the lake view. The resort is nice and maintained. But the rooms are small. Good for a week end stay.
Food is good. Dining room and service is good. In house activities and local tour arrangements are good. Cleanliness is just OK. Room furniture are inadequate. There is a kitchenette but no table or chair in the rooms. Linens are over used. Renovation is going on.
Overall layout is very cramped. Feeling of a holiday resort is missing. Slope within is very steep. Battery cars are must for going to most of the rooms.
Local site seeing spots are many. Trekkers and nature enthusiasts may enjoy Kodai well.

Room Tip: Try to book rooms with Lake view
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Suprovat_Chatto

Dear Sir,

Greetings from Sterling Holidays! We thank you for taking time to share your holiday experience at Kodai - By the Lake resort. Your feedback regarding furniture, amenities and equipment in the room has been shared with the resort management team.

We greatly appreciate your positive feedback on food and service at the resort. We look forward to hosting you again at one of our resorts soon.

The Sterling Holidays Team

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Though I have been to a number of resorts, my recent stay at Kodai- By The Lake was my first exposure to a resort operated by Sterling. It was truly a pleasant surprise. The accommodation modules consisting of two modestly sized bedrooms with attached baths, a drawing room and a kitchenette with fridge, microwave owen and electric kettle are very good for family stays. Most of them seem to have been refurbished recently. The restaurant offers good buffet meals at reasonable costs. Indoor and outdoor activities on offer too are pretty good. But what I liked most was the ambiance; good landscaping and the resort being close to the lake, but in a quite area.
A golf cart for carrying elderly guests/those with mobility limitations, within the resort area and a hoist installed for those who cannot climb multiple steps are thoughtful initiatives. Definitely one of the better resorts in India.

Room Tip: Those with mobility limitations may please ask for accommodations near the lobby/ restaurant.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Viju1942
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed in the property for 3 nights in Dec 2013. The location of the property is excellent, very close to the lake, somewhat away from the hustle and bustle of the main town area. The property itself has been very well built, with the 2 Room cottage where we stayed having excellent interiors, with a small kitchenette, heaters etc. The overall ambience was very nice and warm.

The only jarring thing we felt was that the staff seemed overworked. This also resulted in them mis-guiding us at the time of check-in as to what was included in our package, and what was not. By the 3rd day, we were told of what was actually included in our package. That left a sour taste, and rather than argue it out with the staff, we chose to pay it and close it.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mohanjit
SterlingHolidays, Owner at Kodai - By The Lake, A Sterling Holidays Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Dear Sir,

Greetings from Sterling Holidays! We are glad to note that you had an enjoyable stay at our Kodai – By the Lake. We thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

However we are concerned about your experience regarding communication of your package details. We regret any inconvenience caused and have shared your feedback with the resort management.

We hope you’ll give us an opportunity to serve you better by holidaying with us again.

The Sterling Holidays Team

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I have stayed at the resort for around 3-4 times over the last couple of years and i must stay they have done a great job in upgrading the overall facilities, improving the overall quality and getting great staff...

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family