“Relaxing Place”

Ranked #21 of 76 Hotels in Kodaikanal
Nuvem, India
“Relaxing Place”
Reviewed May 6, 2012

We had a relaxing stay, staff were helpful and pleasant, but there was a village festival going on so the music would start really early, that was irritating. Food was ok, not much in organic salads as advertised and even though menu is extensive they were not able to serve most of the dishes as they did not have a proper chef. Also on the last day we had to compulsorily take the buffet which was priced at Rs. 500 per person which is very expensive for a place like that, we were given no choice and not that was not right....overall the place is lovely for 2-3 days max.

Room Tip: Choose rooms near the reception otherwise there is a long trek to and fro for the rest..which is not...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Versailles, France
Reviewed May 4, 2012

I was really confident about the quality standard of this place as I already had an excellent experience at Dune in Pondichery.
It's been 4 years I'm leaving in south India and traveling there and I can now say that staying at Elephant Valley was the worst experience I had in India.

Check In :
No welcoming drink (but it's a detail regarding the overall experience), we had to carry our luggages and baby car seat ourselves...

Restaurant :
The kitchen was opening 1.30 hours after the announced time (2.00 pm when it was supposed to be 12.30 pm for lunch and 8.30pm to 9.00 pm for the dinner).
Then necessity to ask many times for the beverage or food to be served (fortunately I had some ready made food to give to my child).
The hygiene of the kitchen is really bad (we could have access to the fridge and kitchen as nobody was bringing our ordered beverages so we had to do it ourselves). The fridge is the dirtiest I have ever seen and is full of mold.
We were sick by the end of our stay...

Housekeeping :
The room was never cleaned. I had to ask 3 times the first day, then it was finally cleaned by 7.00 pm. But I had to go myself to the laundry to take clean towels and toilet paper and to the kitchen to get drinking water. The second day I also asked twice, and the manager came to visit the room and he asked me to explain his staff what exactly I wanted in terms of cleaning.

Check out :
We checked many times that it was possible to pay by card when checking out. It was confirmed many times. As we actually checked out, the machine was not working. It took us 1 hour to convince the staff there to let us go as we will pay the day after by check on the account. We almost missed our flight back to Chennai...

My only advice is : DO NOT STAY THERE !

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Carolineindia
Chennai
Reviewed April 18, 2012

The resort location is awesome. You can relax completely. It is totally an eco farm and only people who love nature will like this place. The rooms are clean & neat. Food is ok. Will definitely recommend this place to all nature lovers.

Room Tip: All cottages are good. Check for rates before you decide.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sharad K
toronto
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Elephant Valley is a lovely, quiet, remote place. I fully enjoyed a 2 night get away from it all. It may not be for everyone – know what you are booking. There is NO pool, hot tub, spa, bar, wine list, disco, shop, TV, radio, or internet.

You can go on a lovely trek through the valley with a guide. Sammy was outstanding, and even with limited English he was able to convey interesting facts about the land and the history of the area. It was a privilege to learn from him. Or, go on a tour of the organic farm and perhaps buy some of their pepper or coffee to take home. You can read or play board games in their open air library. Horseback riding is available. I did not partake so I cannot comment on riding. You will have a lot of quiet time here.

The property is massive, so you can really stay away from other guests if that is what you want. Keep in mind if you book one of the more remote cottages you will be some distance from the dining area.

Pretty much everything happens in and around the dining area, and it is a better bet to get information or sign up for treks there as opposed to the check in area.

HINT: I strongly recommend a decent flashlight regardless of which cottage you are staying at. The outdoor lighting is very limited.

I stayed in a ground floor room in the Kerala house, which is one of the more expensive cottages. It was huge, furnished with lovely antiques and had a massive modern bathroom. Hot water is sourced from a solar heater so the temperature is variable, and it takes a while to get to the room, but it worked. There was solar sourced electricity in this house; however it did go out frequently. My understanding is not all rooms have the same utilities, one should confirm this upon booking. There was an in-room safe. There was a wood burning heater that I did not use. There was a seating area at the front complete with outdoor furniture. Upon check in we were given cell phones for the duration of our stay to communicate with each other and the hotel staff.

The food in the dining area was fantastic and very reasonably priced. I really enjoyed all my meals there. Service was terrific and helpful. Meals are freshly prepared so they do take a while to come. We asked about a couple of simple items that were not on the menu, and they were kind enough to actually prepare them for us the next day. Be aware this is not a regular restaurant. At the conclusion of each meal we had a discussion as to what time we should show up for the next meal, there is no random showing up when you are hungry.

For me, the tranquility of the place and lovely all-over experience offset the inconveniences and lack of hotel amenities. I would love to come back some day.

Room Tip: Correspond with the hotel so you know exacty what to expect, not all rooms are created equal.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank wheres-fluffy
Witney, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2012

What a brilliant place. Elephant Valley is perfect for those who like something different, in beautiful surroundings, comfortable but not lush rooms. organically grown food on their farm providing a variety of delicious food in the open air restaurant. Temperatures are cooler here allowing trekking in the mountains, wonderful walking where elephants hand bison have recently. No TV's, friendly staff and a bonfire before dinner makes this a super place. off the beaten track, great getaway surrounded by nature and wildlife.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank David B
Nainital, India
Reviewed February 5, 2012

We stayed here in the end of Jan 2012.It was a wonderful experience.The property is sprawling and Mother Nature has been allowed to be at her best. The orchards, river, hanging bridge,tree house,waterfall are fascinating .So too is the coffee processing plant and the eco farm.
The only improvement we can think of is better lighting in the evenings especially on the way to the Peninsula rooms and a tea/coffee maker in the rooms.
Ask for Anand at the restaurant, he's very good...

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank manojd25
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed February 5, 2012

The perfect place to stay away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Lovely atmosphere, close to nature with the hills and streams, in short a perfect getaway. Warning - people who want to use their mobiles, watch TV etc, this is not the place.....Had great fun and enjoyed the stay. I have to mention the homely and lovely and tasty food that was served.

Room Tip: I loved all rooms. We were at the Peninsula....
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple