“Nice Place to Stay while in Kodaikanal”
Review of Villa Retreat

Villa Retreat
Ranked #1 of 82 Hotels in Kodaikanal
Reviewed December 31, 2011

This is one of the nice hotels to stay in Madurai., all the popular restaurants are in walk-able distance. Well maintained and clean. Service is good. But you have to book it in advance and should be careful about check in and check out timings they are very strict about it. Break fast is good. View from the hotel is excellent. If you want to stay for 3 or more days in KodaiKanal this is the place to be....

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
34  Thank DilipG1234
Write a ReviewReviews (1,195)

Reviewed December 27, 2011

Comments: The hotel is in an excellent location- in fact, no matter where we went during this long weekend, due to the crowd- we always felt that the resort itself was the best place to cherish the view and relax in the beautifully maintained lawn. (I will post some pics and you'd agree with me).
Best Experience: 1. Ease of booking. They gave excellent alternative of staying at a homestay- Amherst Cottage. (Although maintained by same management, I'd prefer this to be added as a separate place in HIQ)
2. Helpful staff: very cooperative staff in handling minor issues.
3. Excellent view- from rooms as well as from the lawn.

Worst Experience: 1. Credit card machine not working- compelled us to pay by cash- a difficult proposition in today's plastic world.
2. Food not so good- except for ready-made stuff (continental breakfast). Non availability of dining hall was a dampener- however, might be boon for some honeymooners! :)

Room Tip: Take a valley view room- even though slightly smaller!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
37  Thank lazy_1970
Reviewed December 25, 2011

This hotel is located adjacent to Coakers walk and opposite to Bryant Park. The location is undoubtedly one of the best overlooking the valley. I stayed in room no 105 which has valley view. The service is awesome.

My special thanks to the managers Ashok , Joel and Asif for their kind advice and room service during the strike in kodainal.

Room Tip: Choose room no 105 for valley view
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
36  Thank VenuSirigiri
Reviewed December 12, 2011

A search engine, along with a few hours of research can have amazing outcomes!

I had lot of recommendations for places to stay at Kodaikanal. Considering my experience Ooty staying at a good hotel but in a busy area, I wanted a hotel secluded from traffic, peace and a relaxing environment.

One of the hotels I found was Villa Retreat. The photos on their website looked quite appealing. I tried to reserve a room on their website but was not sure which room to chose. So sent them a mail and got a reply saying they only have regular rooms and the Deluxe cottage available for the date I am visiting. Immediately booked the deluxe cottage as it was a special room in the old block with direct view of the valley and a lawn infront where one could dine or just laze around.

It was long drive from Bangalore to Kodaikanal and I was exhausted and a few hours late when I reached Villa Retreat. The reception was very friendly and I was told the kitchen is closed for lunch but they have asked the chef to prepare some dishes since we were arriving. Brilliant! We checked into the room, gobbled some food, refreshed ourselves and hit the bed.

Woke up in the evening to a fog filled romantic ambience. Please do check the attached photo to understand what I am speaking about! Wooden ceilings, wooden floors, fireplace, cozy chairs by the window where we could watch the 180° view of the valley, the foggy lawn! If you are a couple, the deluxe cottage is the room you should book!

Coakers walk is right next to the hotel and the famed lake is 5 mins drive away.

Parking is available for about 10 cars but can be tricky to take your vehicle out in the morning if other cars are blocking the pathway. Service is satisfactory, food is good (not amazing but just good). I really wish we could stay for more than two days but work beckoned, so had to leave.

I will definitely stay here when I am in Kodaikanal. I am sure there are better hotels if I explore, but I enjoyed the views here and cozy cottage.

Room Tip: Get the Deluxe Cottage (old block). Thank me later.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
46  Thank ashwinsid
Reviewed December 5, 2011

This hotel is located adjacent to Coakers walk and opposite to Bryant Park. The location is undoubtedly one of the best overlooking the valley. The property is relatively small (about 16-20 rooms) but very well maintained. The service is absolutely fantastic. The manager Mr Ashiq and his team take utmost care to ensure your stay becomes memorable. I had booked room no : 108 (Classic) about 2 months in advance on Mr Ashiq’s advice. This room has the best view. You can see the sunrise from the room. It was an amazing experience with the clouds below and sun rising above them. The food served was also decent. My wife and I feel sick on Day 2. The hotel staff went out of their way to arrange for the medicines and cooked customized food for us even though it wasn’t in the menu. This is the kind of service you long for when are out on a vacation which makes you feel at home.

On the day of arrival, we went to Coakers walk, Bryant Park and the lake. Coaker’s walk offers you a beautiful view of the valley. Bryant park is a huge, clean park with different species of plants. You can do a lot of activities around the lake like Horse riding, boating, cycling. We personally enjoyed cycling a lot. It’s about 5.5 kms trek encircling the lake. We couldn’t take the forest view the next day as both of us fell sick. On the last day we took a local sightseeing tour and the Trekking tour. Local sightseeing tour includes few local points like upper valley view, Moir point, Devils Kitchen, Pine forest to name a few. However the highlight of the day was the trekking tour to Dolphin’s nose. Its about 1.5 kms of trek one way. Its quite rough though very scenic. The hotel guys have a lot of tour packages to offer. You could customize them as per your preferences. The cab drivers are very courteous and well behaved. They would also double up as your guide and photographer. Our driver Mr Jaipal was a pro in photography and clicked our pics in abundance. We started the tour at around 10am and ended it at 5pm. After which we headed to Kodailkanal Road railway station to catch our train.

Room Tip: We opted for room no : 108 (Classic). It has the best view overlooking the valley.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
41  Thank Ankit S
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Stayed here in Room 102 (Deluxe suite), the rooms are overpriced. You do not get what you pay for, I was shown pictures of 101 and was given 102 room!! The room was not clean, the heater which was given to us barely worked. Please ensure that they give the same room to you whose pictures are shared over mail.

The room service is pathetic, you order for food and you will get it after an hour!! They took an hour for Bread butter and tea!!

Though you get food delivered after an hour but you will not regret the wait. The food cooked is fresh and one of the best in Kodai.

They will keep asking for for bill even before you checkout!!.

Great view, good location but pricey and bad room service....think twice before you book. there are bett

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank sidharthshah
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Stayed at Villa Retreat in Nov2011. Our room 108 was excellent, The staff was very good. Also the Hotel restaurant served very good food. Would Suggest everyone to go to this Hotel for a relaxing stay in Kodai. Its near the main market and still very peaceful.

Room Tip: 108 has great views.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family