“Beautiful vacation”

and 1 more site!
Surya Holidays Kodaikanal
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed in the Prince cottage/suite and loved it. The view was awesome and so was the accomodation. The staff (John-the manager) were very courteous and helpful. The food was home cooked and very tasty. The estate itself was a piece of heaven on earth and it helped that it was pear season. The first day we were there, a Gaur walked onto the property from the forest to feed on the fallen pears. Its a very pleasant walk to lake side and we opted to take a taxi back.

Room Tip: Contact Sorab by email/telephone and remit the advance since this is necessary to confirm your booki...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my wife for past Christmas and summer holidays. we had a “Cocos Nucifera” room. The rooms were AWESOME . The bed is so soft i don't think anyone can have trouble sleeping.
A great place for honeymoon couples and anyone looking to spend their time off walking or just exploring a beautifully scenic area.
The stunning surrounding scenery also affords plenty of incentives to get out in the fresh air.
We would recommend this hotel for its comfortable & in a good location.
This was a really friendly place and the food was excellent and great value and order your food well in advance, like one hour before you want to eat.

Thanks for sorab to make our stay comfortable. We hope to see you again soon!

PROS:

Your stay will truly be stress-free
Kodai lake view from balcony is beautiful
Rooms are spacious and furniture in it were all clean and comfy
Hotel staffs are friendly and helpful.
Beautiful scenery, If you are meant to stay in the resort, it had better be beautiful!

CONS:

There are no booking options through the website. First time I hesitate to put money into the hotels account. But no need to worry you can believe.
Few opportunities to meet local people other than all-inclusive employees

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 15, 2013

i called up mr sorab 2 days before my start of vacation , to confirm the room booking , he asked me send me confirmation mail, i did that, when i was just 20 kms away from kodai, i called up he gave me a shocking news that he can confirm only if i remit the money which was not informed to me earlier , i was totally upset becoz i was travelling with 2 yr old ,and my parents who r above 60 ,too tired to search for another place, finally he gave his brother's no for accomdation in his moderate appartment , we ended up there after say around 8.30 p.m one phase went off, we ended spending whole night in the dark , thanks to him , our total vacation was ruined

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
13  Thank abirami235
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I went by all the reviews and booked a 3 day stay in Surya Holidays. Their website had some fantastic photos and I can honestly say that I fell for them. Soon after booking my cottage, I was greeted by the most unprofessional mail - ' ......COCUS NUCIFERA IS AVAILABLE, PLEASE PUT MONEY.'
This should have warned me about things to come. When I finally reached the place, I was mesmerized by the surrounding view...truly breath-taking. Then came shock 1 - the wooden floor boards were loose. Shock 2 - food was absolutely inedible. The most inferior quality rice. Shock 3 - the water from the taps was like liquid chocolate. I was told by the staff that the filter had just been cleaned and it should settle in some time. Many litres of water later, there was no noticeable difference in the colour (I still have the photographs). I had had enough and decided to check out. And as luck had it, I was also called back to my home town (but a little later I found out that I did not have to go back). The manager who I spoke to almost threatened me stating that I had booked the room for 3 days and because of this, he was losing business. He demanded that even though I was vacating in a couple of hours, I should pay the entire amount. After much haggling and the desire to leave the place, I agreed to settle for a lesser amount and left the place.
A traumatic experience indeed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
21  Thank Vikram A
Reviewed May 4, 2013

It is review time for me again and I am about to review a very special place of stay or ‘speciality lodging’ as is suggested on trip advisor. I will keep the review very short and crisp and let the pictures do the rest of the talking.

To start with, Surya Pride Rock is a simple yet charming resort. It does not have manicured gardens or sophisticated levels of hospitality to its claim. But the beautiful expanse of land with its breathtaking view of the lake, the valley and the rest of the Kodai town and the rather homely set-up sets it apart from the rest of those in the category.

Surya Pride Rock has one of the most magnificent views in all of Kodaikanal as it is situated at a rather elevated level. It is a bit far from the hustle and bustle of the main town but not so far as to be inconvenient. Yet, if you are not too eager to walk, you might need to consider your means of transport from and to the resort. You can talk to Sorab – the resort owner on 9159765867, who would only be too glad to help.

The resort boasts of a landscape that has not been tampered with and, hence, has managed to retain its wild charm.

The breakfast is complimentary and is prepared as per a fixed menu. But, unless you are staying for a long period, you won’t find yourself eating the same breakfast dish twice. If there is something that you particularly hate to see on your breakfast table, inform them in advance and they would let you know of the options.

The place is managed by John, who will be available on his mobile number, at all times, for all your service requirements. Do remember to take his mobile number as soon as you get there as there are no telephones in the cottages. John is informative and helpful enough – all you need to do is ask.

There are six cottages, of which the interiors are paneled with pinewood and, in Cocos Nucifera, coconut palm wood. The rooms are extremely spacious and well furnished. The rooms and bathrooms are very clean.

The sheets and towels are changed every other day. If you need it changed everyday, again, all you need to do is – ask. Bathroom supplies like shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer etc are not provided, so you must take them along or buy it from the town. However, you will be provided with soaps and toilet rolls.

Also, there are the Wild Boars and Bison who pay their visit once in a while. If you are scared of them, it would do to keep a look out even though they are deemed harmless unless provoked. We were not lucky enough to be visited even once during our five days' stay. :(

If you are expecting a usual resort kind of set-up, you will be disappointed. But, if you love nature, wilderness and its unmatched charm, then Sorab has the best option for you. He is quite eager to make his guests as comfortable as possible and is always easily accessible on his mobile number.

Now, to cut the long story short, we had an amazing stay at Surya Pride Rock as it was exactly what we were looking for and much more comfortable than we had expected. We never had a single unpleasant moment at Surya Pride Rock. We loved and enjoyed every minute of our stay at Sorab's wild haven.

Over to the snaps now . . .

Room Tip: All cottages have excellent views but Cocos Nucifera has the best. The Cocos Nucifera is also the mo...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 19, 2013

One of the best weekend getaways I had in the beautiful Kodaikanal thanks to Mr. Sorab and his staff.
From the time we got picked up from the bus till we got dropped back has definitely been an experience to cherish in the years to come.
The beautiful wooden cottages to stay with a picture perfect view off the balcony, the bonfire in the night interrupted by a huge bison will always be remembered.
Will definitely go stay longer the next time……..

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 10, 2013

One of the best holidays i have ever had. Never thought place i stay would make such difference, but Pride Rock did. A never ever kind of experience!!
Being situated inside the estate, ambience gave an amazing feel. Cottages were pampering us, it was comfortable. Staffs were caring and made us more comfortable with the place, the barbecue and bonfire arranged by them was out of the world experience. All in all, it was nothing short of an amazing holiday and stay!!
Thanks to Mr.Sorab for making it amazing.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends