“Unforgettable home-stay experience”
Review of Cinnabar

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kodaikanal
Cinnabar
Ranked #8 of 94 Kodaikanal B&B and Inns
Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum), India
“Unforgettable home-stay experience”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

I was a bit worried about how this home-stay experience will turn out considering my own age (79) and the fact that my wife and I have some food restrictions. The worry was needless. Our every need and concern was attended to by the Bala and Vasu, the remarkable couple who run this impeccably clean well-maintained and picturesque property at a very convenient location in Kodaikanal. In fact we were given not just ample hospitality but a virtual gourmet treatment. Add to that the pleasure of getting to know two most interesting persons with diverse interests and the effort they put into their cute farm!
We could not have asked for more!
S.K.N. Nair

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank narayanan79

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Korean first
Ooty, India
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Exceptional hosts,
Great homestay, their two rooms were taken by the three of us. We were very well received and guided on the tour of kodai. Great clean rooms and toilets. Wonderful home cooked food. Wonderful conversation over dinner and breakfast. Will definitely be back as we have made two great friends.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank vishanth
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights at the Cinnabar over the January 26th weekend - and this home stay run by Vasu and Bala exceeded our expectations on every count !

Let me start with the accommodation. Cinnabar is very well located in Kodai, a short drive away from the lake but sufficiently removed from the busier parts of town for you to enjoy the peace and quiet of this beautiful hill station. Our room was very well appointed, with a comfortable bed, a high definition TV, parquet floors with beautiful rugs and lovely artwork done by Vasu. The bathroom was pristine with 24x7 hot water.

What we will remember for a long time is the food we had at the Cinnabar. Every meal was a gourmet experience! For breakfast, we feasted on home made cheese, home made granola, home made bread, fresh fruit, upama, eggs made to order, idlis - the variety and flavours were truly amazing.

For dinner, one evening we had middle eastern cuisine, the second evening, Burmese and the third evening was Indian. The versatility of Vasu and Bala's cooking skills is amazing! And did I mention the cheesecake we had for dessert one evening? By far the best cheesecake I have ever had - probably because the cheese was made right there at Cinnabar with fresh cow's milk. The passion that Vasu and Bala have for cooking is evident in every dish that is served.

In the final analysis, what made our stay at the Cinnabar truly memorable was the company of Vasu and Bala. They are an exceptional couple, full of positive energy, have a great sense of humour, are great conversationalists, and are really really caring hosts.

We just cant wait to get back !

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rogercharlie
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed January 27, 2014

My mother told me that," Travelling alone for the first time could be a make or break situation for the rest of your life." I hada very spontaneous decision in calling Bala up on a busy Christmas night and nagging him on the phone till the end of his New year Party. Fortunately, I could stay with them.
As my tired car entered their white gate, Vasu greeted me with Cookie and Chippy. The energetic 5 month old Chippyparai jumped all over me. The sun was just setting and a last ray filled the rooftops of Kodaikanal.
Bala and Vasu are not only the best hosts, but among the best people I have ever met in my short life. Those long conversations with rum in one hand and the other seeking for the warmth of the fireplace were truly something, everyone must experience.
From making me fat(I'm not lying) with my favorite Granola, ham , meatballs, pita beards, etc, Vasu and Bala are such all rounders.
The room they gave me is nothing short of a 5star cottage. Beautifully decorated by Vasu's paintings, nice old wine bottles filled with water, a savvy leather barcalounger, and my favorite a silent porch overlooking their own farm, filled with small red strawberries.
Over all, I came back from Kodaikanal with an increment in knowledge in fields like mountain climbing, narcotics and psychotropics, the 101 guide to start a business and of course cooking.
I envied Bala and Vasu and I made a promise to myself when I left. If I ever get married, i want us to be like them.
Please go there, and I'm sure you'll make the same promise to yourself.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank RaghavGanesh123
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We couldn't believe our luck booking at Cinnabar. This was our first trip to Kodaikanal and we had the MOST amazing time, largely due to the warm hospitality of Bala & Vasu. Not only are their house & guest quarters really superb (clean, well appointed, stylish) but they are they the most wonderful, considerate hosts. We were truly amazed by their home grown vegetables, handmade cheese (yes, really!) and incredible meals. But probably most of all we really loved Bala & Vasu who made our stay so easy, comfortable, interesting and welcoming. We have already booked our next visit with our daughters who are going to board at Kodaikanal International School for a semester. Cant wait!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank trimfly
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Vasu and Bala were great hosts and we felt like old friends by the end of our three night stay. It was a time to recharge our batteries after travelling through Tamil Nadu and by the time we left we were well refreshed and ready for Kerala and beyond. Our room was spotless with an extremely comfortable bed and the bathroom was well fitted out with an excellent shower. One of us was a little ill and the meals were thoughtfully chosen accordingly. All meals were delicious.

Room Tip: two rooms, one of a higher standard