“Worst Worst, Never Go for it”
Review of Royal Hotel

Royal Hotel
Ranked #27 of 82 Hotels in Kodaikanal
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I have gone with my family(5 persons). I have booked this hotel from goibibo. I have booked 2 rooms and already paid for an extra bed as one room is for 2 adults. After reaching there, the manager was asking to pay for extra guest but we told him we already paid. After looking 5 times on the paper he agreed. Then we asked to put extra bed in the room So he provided a mattress and a blanket which was of towel size. It was night time, so there was no support from Goibibo folks. Rooms were stingy,suffocated and smelling as if they are not opened from years.
No towels and soap are provided on the first day, after complaing on goibibo they provided soaps and towels. Moreover, the telephone was not working in both the rooms. Everytime we need to go to reception if we need anything. There was too much to say. But what to do our trip is already spoiled. I don't know how it comes among top 10 hotels in kodaikanal on trip advisor. Also in Goibibo list it seems to be verified. Fake...

Room Tip: There are 3-4 hotels nearby. Mostly, we had food at Kodai International hotel. It was a good hotel...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank rnarang89

Reviewed August 22, 2013

we were confirmed our booking of this hotel by phone , we were of two couples we felt staying in this hotel was very safe , the rates of food, rooms was in our budget . we enjoyed here for two days and then we went to ooty .

Room Tip: royal deluxe rooms
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2013

With our friends we stayed in this royal hotel in this month august , we arrived at night we had fire camp with food we enjoyed it , the food was delicious and it was service neatly , the rooms were enough to stay on three sharing , the staffs were very adjustable with us .

Room Tip: rooms on the parking side
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I would suggest people to avoid this hotel for the sheer rude behavior of their staff.

I had called up this hotel on the morning of 10th August for a booking the same day. The lady on the other side confirmed and booked one superior deluxe room. I had received a SMS confirmation also with the hotel address and directions to reach. Little did we know the kind of surprise awaiting us when we reached there post a late lunch. The guy in the reception informs us that there are no rooms available and there is no booking done in my name. Even after showing him the confirmation SMS he stuck to his claim. Then after much argue he called up another guy and made me speak to him. The guy on the phone was much worse and rude. He even had the audacity to disconnect the phone on my face.

We were in-fact very glad that that we did not get to stay there. With the kind of experience faced in the reception, god knows what would have lied ahead...

In short I would recommend anyone to avoid this hotel at any cost. I still wonder in disbelief on all the positive reviews that I read about this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank RamaniG
madhuKodaikanal, Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Dear sir,
Sorry For the inconvenience.
I couldn't accept your statement. Without any payment from you, how can we book a room for you.
You would have enquired for a room, they would have said, we will message you the address and direction, if we have the availability, we can provide it or else we cant.
Because without payment, no one will book a room in any hotel unless they were a regular guest.
And in this confusion, you have misbehaved with our staffs.
If you want to book a room on same day, how can we do it without any payment.
Try to understand our situation also.
Once again, I feel sorry for what had happened.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Book this hotel if you are on a sightseeing trip and want to use the hotel only for sleeping and freshen up. The bed, bathroom was clean and that was more than sufficient for me as for the most of the day,i was outside. The staff hospitality is quite good and people are generous. Hot water runs for only 2 hrs and its a problem, but thats the case with most of the hotels in kodai. The restr on the basement was ok ok types and we used it for breakfast which was tasty. There can be few things which the hotel guys can do.. 1. provide a coffee maker as the nights are quite cold in kodai. 2. Better tv sets as the ones provided are quite old ones 3. Although the cleaning and everything was done as soon as we pointed out, we would have appreciated had the cleaning been done before we moved in.

For those who have their own vehicles, its good as it provides a huge parking space. Else, if you are not very keen on walking or not willing to explore the place on foot, you might find it difficult to walk uphill towards the town everytime you plan to move out of the hotel

All in all, a good stay if you are not willing to spend on hotel stay

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2013

we started our journey to kodai on mid night with our family of kids and ladies, our booking was in the morning of 10 am but we reached the hotel in the early morning of 6 am itself , when we went there we got three rooms wihich was vacant previous day , we thanked the staffs for helping us , the rooms was good , we got the rest of our booking rooms after 10 am .

Room Tip: deluxe rooms
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2013

my friend suggested me to stay in this hotel , we took three rooms of royal deluxe type , we stayed here for two days the rooms , restaurant was good . the hotel has very huge parking area , play area and garden .

Room Tip: royal deluxe rooms