“A work in progress”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Chittaurgarh
Brisbane
“A work in progress”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

We stayed one night at Fort Begu in a rooftop dome room, which was simply decorated but comfortable. Ajay and his father were great hosts. In the afternoon Ajay gave us a tour of their property and the lake palace, explaining all his impressive development plans. Drinks in the courtyard with Ajay's father were a delightful lead-in to dinner on the lawn beneath the floodlit fort. Ajay's father's love of food and life led to many interesting conversations, both at dinner and breakfast. We really enjoyed every moment, the food, the setting and the unique experience.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Hebrew first
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

What should I mention here?
Should I speak about the beautiful peacocks that flit in and out of the gardens and patios? Or the flocks of pigeons flying in arcs outside our windows? Or the amazing hospitality of Mr. Ajay, Hari ji, Mac and Arjun Banna?

I went there in February and I want to share my experience with you.

Though 60 odd kilometres away from the railway station - the miles quickly melted away and we finally reached Fort Begu, which was bathed in moonlight.

Was it the Fort, that we loved, which tantalized us with its hidden secrets?
The unexplored subterranean depths that are undergoing restoration held our fancy - with the long-forgotten paintings on the walls, the antique glass-work and a story to everything.

The excursion to Rajgarh Palace (the lake property), where all I could hear was the sound of peace - was a brilliant addition to my trip. Birds kept us company with history in the air. Mahanal or Menal Lake too was a great decision.

There are so many facets to Fort Begu - there are people and then there are their stories. Hari ji (Ajay’s father), his exuberance and charm is infallible! His advice and varied anecdotes are really engaging! Ajay ji - I’ve said it before and I’m saying it again - you’re doing such a wonderful job with everything. Most of us take the simple ways out, but restoring such a huge place and doing it so well is really tough. I hope you stay as motivated in your endeavour as you have and may luck always shine on you.
Thank you for hosting us at your home. We enjoyed meeting Karan and your mother too :)

The suites are excellent. Actually, in comparison with the hotels I’ve stayed in the past, these are one of the best. So spacious, with great bathrooms, fluffy beds and ample pillows. We slept like babies :)

Though there’s a long list of caveats for prospective tourists (like there are no TVs in the room or Wifi and so on) I didn’t miss it all one bit. What’s the point of staying hooked to the your virtual life when real experiences are out there? There are things like charging ports, lights etc as required. Thats all you need in my opinion :)

No journey is complete without food. I love food (both making and eating it) and the food that you’ll get there is - in one word - lavish.
Don’t get me wrong! Its not lavish in a “showy, oily, prissy” sort of way - but hearty and well thought out.
As they get both Indian and foreign tourists, they do know how to cater to all kinds of taste-buds.

For breakfast, we had a nice poha,(that’s flattened rice cooked in spices), tea, really good parathe (that’s stuffed and unleavened bread made on a skillet) and eggs, toast etc was available. Yoghurt is from the cows they have and the honey too is harvested from the bees that house there. Not to be missed - there’s a special Mango pickle thats made in-house from fruits of the orchard. Mac was kind enough to give us some to take home :)

Airy phulkas accompany all the dishes at Lunch and Dinner - where you’re served regional fare. It’s really nice how the dishes are planned out - with spicy meats, vegetables and mildly flavoured curry elements. Nothing is too heavy on spices and special care is put into the preparation of the food. Hari ji takes real pride in his kitchens and most of the recipes are family secrets :)

There were so many delightful things that happened with us while we stayed there :) I wish I could tell you, but I don’t want to let the cat out of the bag! It would be good if I kept the mysteries of Begu hidden - so that you can explore them first hand.

This is a place with a story. Not a run-of-the-mill experience. I would recommend this whole-heartedly if you intend to make beautiful memories like I did.

Room Tip: Choose any :) They're all unique and beautiful in their own way :)
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Harleston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

After several phone calls our taxi driver eventually found his way to Fort Begu finally by meeting Arjun on a motorcycle in the town who guided us up to the fort. We had a warm welcome from Ajay the son of the owner.Our room was amazing,with many original old wall decorations but enough modern touches to make for a comfortable stay . Drinks and conversation with Ajay by a campfire in a courtyard before dinner made us feel at ease. The food and service were excellent. All food except breakfast and alcoholic drinks are at extra cost. Although the food was excellent we would have liked to have been offered some lighter options as the food was really too rich to eat for a number of days in a row. There was no WiFi working at the time of our stay.
The visits around the area were fascinating especially the lake with Ajay and the village walk with Arjun. Only a small area of the fort has been restored and is habitable, We enjoyed exploring the building the family hope to restore and convert into further guest accommodation,we wish them much success with the project. Staying at Fort Begu is a unique experience and it is this that makes to cost worthwhile.

Room Tip: Each room is very different so check on the website or email for details, access is via steep stone...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

This is a very unique heritage property. Each room is unique and there isn't a bad choice in the lot. The family which owns it are very kind and accommodating, and really care for the guests. You will learn a lot about the area and the family. We only stayed one night but a guided walk through the village or a trip out to the ruin of the nearby lake palace of the family are worth it as well. The food was also very good.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
green bay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

Stayed for 2 nights with parents, bumpy ride forms chittor garh, excellent large room for parents, and extra bed for myself, fort begu is a old fort around 300 years old, the present owners are gradually bringing the place up to its former state with renovations to the old palace, the small lake palace that we visited for sunset has great potential, the walk from the fort is around 6km and is worth the walk through the villages, the food was excellent, the rooms were excellent, service was top notch, I hope in the future the other properties will come in line, a day visit to the Mahela temple ruins was worth the visit, the waterfalls were a mere trickle but swell up during the monsoons, the fort is worth a visit for a 1 or 2 day layoff from the hustle bustle of udaipur, Bundi and Kota are not too far away also

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Oakham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

My husband and I have discovered this hidden gem, secluded in a remote village, by chance. We were looking for a place not far from Chittaurgarh for a couple of nights and we came across this indescribable magic spot of Rajhastan that made our holiday. We were welcomed by Mr Singh and his son Ajay in their majestic fort. Mr Singh is the 24th Raj of Begu, an area of about 500 villages, former minister of agricolture, so we have been welcomed in an heritage hotel, inside an aristocratic family and looked after directly by them, like we were part of the Royal family ourselves. This is not a classic hotel, this is also a trip back in time that is recommended to history lovers and people that are looking for something that is not commercial. All the suite are maintained in the original style and restored brilliantly.
You'll get to visti the fort, the breathtaking step wells, the village, the ruins of another palace by a lake that is stunning and Arjun (a lovely and friendly employee that will look after you and help with everything) will take you for a walk in the village outside the fort's walls. Mr Sing and son will escort you in al the tours that are part of the experience and explain everything exceeding any expectations as they are part of history themselves. Remember you are not visiting a fort, you are stopping in one!
Our table was located carefully for breakfast, lunch and dinner, always in a different part of the fort, so that we could enjoy different views. The family is also very proud of the food that is serving, recipes are passed from generations and it is authentic Indian cuisine like you will never taste anywhere else. Mr Mac will look after your meals.
Mr Singh and his son will have a drink with you before and after meals. My husband is english and into history, so he really enjoyed the conversations about the dynasties, their traditions, etc... I am Italian and I am attracted also to religions and the spiritual side of India, and Mr Singh had a lot of stories to tell about that as well.
Do not expect any similarity to the other hotels where you have been in Rajasthan or anywhere else, this is an experience, authentic, do not expect the perfection of a modern hotel or a completely restored old building, some parts have been left untouched.
This stop made our holiday, we were enchanted.
Not to be missed!
(I never write reviews, I have little time, in fact we stopped in Fort Begu on November 2012, so it took me a long time, but Fort Begu deserves a good review, so better late then never!)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sapone
Seattle, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

My wife and I were lucky enough to select Fort Begu for a two day stay. It is sightly off the most well-traveled route but that is part of the charm of the lodge. Everything about the Fort says "the management cares about the customer experience" and any request is met with "yes we can and yes we will". The evening of check in the owners showed us some of the local remains of the Fort area and then took us to an idyllic old palace on the lake. This palace on private land was the setting for our sundowners and what a place it was. Watching the sun go down and enjoying the company of fellow guests and the owners made for a memorable evening. Dinners are preceded by drinks in the courtyard followed by a splendid full course dinner of excellent quality. We hated to leave. One caveat: for those expecting five star luxury this amy not be your place. This fort is being renovated and is a work in progress. Don't let this deter you as the experience is memorable. Also, since most accommodations are accessible only be steep steps one should contact management to see if this is suitable for those with mobility problems.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chittaurgarh
Justa Lake Nahargarh Palace, Chittorgarh Resort
Castle Bijaipur
Castle Bijaipur
#1 of 31 in Chittaurgarh
WelcomHeritage Bassi Fort Palace

Been to Fort Begu? Share your experiences!