“Very welcoming Family”

Shivam Tourist Guest House
Ranked #3 of 25 Bundi B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I particularly enjoyed the atmosphere in the house, there is always someone you can speak to in the living room.

Except that, it is a very good place to stay for that price:
- good rooms
- good food
- No noise
- Close to the fort
- Close to the lake, and to a Cricket area where you can play with the kids
- Nice and helpful family

I would come back there if I come back to Bundi one day

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Easily the most enjoyable place we stayed in India. We were welcomed with open arms, it felt like we were members of the family. They helped with visits during our stay and with our onward travel. A wonderful happy family, we feel privileged to have been to stay.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I stayed here two nights and would have stayed longer if we had more time. The rooms were spacious and clean and even stayed cool during the hot night. The family was very friendly & interesting and they even had a cute tortoise trotting about named Krishna. The upstairs was a great monkey watching spot! You could see them leaping across the rooftops of the city! Also, the location was very close to the palace & fort which was really worth the trip! The family even helped us with directions & made sure our motorbike was safely secure during our stay.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We were in this place in November 2012. We arrived in Bundi after a nighmarish day (I described the problems in the review of the drivers company that we hired) and it was already dark. We booked a room in this hotel through a famous hotel-booking website. When we arrived, we were welcomed by a lady which invited us to enter this old looking house and parked us on a old dirty and dusty sofa while she was surfing facebook. Later came an unfriendly old man which said unpleasant things on us, perhaps thinking to be funny, but he was only irritating. To make matter worse, he had been really slow on copying the data from our passports. When we were presented our room, well, the word room isn't correct, it was something else. It was cold, it was very bad smelling, it was damp, it was really dirty. We spent a night there in our sleeping bags because it was late and we couldn't get out to look for another place, but we left early the next morning. They had an indoor "barthroom" so dirty that we refused to take a shower there (by the way, the shower had only cold water). I guess that they have two kinds of rooms. The rooms for those that arrive early and a spare room for the unlucky that arrive later. When we asked for information to the personnel to reach the centre, we received three different information from three different people. So, my advice is to avoid this place. Take it in account if you don't find anything else and you don't want to spend a night sleeping in car, which it could still be a good option.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Franz_Zena
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We had a great time at Shivam Guesthouse thanks to the super friendly family. We were there for my birthday and it turned out that the grandfather of the family was born the same day as me. They invite us to the birthday party and even prepared a cake for me. Great memory!
The rooms are ok (basic but nice enough).

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of nights.

The good - location is good, rooms were ok (although not finished when we stayed), roof terrace.

The bad - the guy who owns the place and his grandfather were creepy - on two occasions they came up to our room and once I'd opened the door they made there way inside the room without asking - my girlfriend was actually in bed the second time!! It was totally inappropriate - especially because both times I had said I would come down to sort out what they had come up for (once was to check in, the other was about a railway ticket).

They also gave us really bad advice about railway tickets - I said I would get a ticket from the station - but they insisted that we need to book through them - which they charged ridiculous commission on... we got to the railway station and we didn't need to have reservations as I had believed from what I had read online.

I would avoid this place at all cost - definitely don't believe a word they say about booking railway tickets, and don't open the door past a crack unless you want to be joined in your room.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Andrew M
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Though myself and my friend did not stay at this guesthouse we did spend a large part of our time here whilst we were in Bundi. We originally visited to try out the food which was freshly cooked and delicious so we kept coming back for more. More importantly, the family who owns the guesthouse was so incredibly friendly and welcoming that we came back to spend time with them. Pari decorated our arms with really beautiful henna patterns for a very reasonable price. She also invited us to go shopping with her and negotiated prices for us much lower than we would ever have achieved on our own. When so many businesses in India are run by men it is really refreshing to make a good female friend and if I am ever in the area again I will definitely go and visit.

As for Bundi itself, it was one of the highlights of a two month trip across the North of India. The town is off the beaten track, so not too touristy and it is overlooked by a crumbling but spectacular fort that could have come out of the jungle book. Stop by if you have the chance!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends