“A Bird Watcher's Paradise” 4 of 5 stars

and up
Private Day Trip to Keoladeo National Park from New Delhi
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Bharatpur
More attraction details
Owner description: Bharatpur bird sanctuary is home to over 350 species of birds.
Vadodara, Gujarat, India
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“A Bird Watcher's Paradise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Bharatpur... for a bird watcher like me is a dream place to go to. I have been there a number of times at different times of the year. The best time to go there, in my opinion is Christmas week and later right to middle of February.

There are a number of good hotels... my choice is the Birder's Nest which is close to the Sanctuary.

The best part of the visit is that no gas or diesel vehicles are allowed in the Keoladev Bird Sanctuary. You either go around the Sanctuary in a Pedal Rickshaw .. which is driven by persons who have by experience become experts in the local bird life. But it will be a good idea to take the services of Guides who are accredited by the Forest Department. You can also hire bicycles to go around and if you fit enough.. you could walk. Wear good walking shoes.. the distances are long.

Carry your standard bird watching gear... good binoculars and camera with good lenses.

You can see a wide variety of birds .......... Painted Storks, Open Bill Storks, Spoonbills, Cormorants, Darters, Ibises, Moorhen, Pheasant - tailed Jacana, Purple Coot, White-breasted Waterhen, Paddy Bird, Night Heron, Comb Duck and Dabchick, and a large variety of migratory birds such as Ducks, Geese, Raptors, Waders, Warblers and Cranes. I was lucky to see the last pair of the rare Siberian Cranes which visited India in 2006.

If your are a birder, you will have a great time there.

Visited November 2013
3 Thank SGBBaroda

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Muzaffarnagar, India
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Best for bird lovers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

The only thing which I dont like abt this park is your vechicle is not allowed.

You have to hire a bicycle or rickshaw.

Rickshaw charges are too heavy.

Rs. 100 for an hour and they drive that slow they waste 3 hrs just to reach the end point and come back. Without stopping any where. It cpuld be done in 2 hrs also.

Best time to visit is January February.

Or visit at the time of sunrise.

Carry your own food and water.

3 Thank PA998877
Wellington, New Zealand
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Well worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

We rose early to catch the sun rise in the bird park it was a beautiful site, the park is refreshing with paths and a number of lakes over 300 different birds have been sighted here. We hired a rickshaw which carried us round the parkland provided a bit of a commentary, make sure you barter down for a good deal as there are lots of rickshaw stops around if people aren't willing to budge! we saw a number of birds and overall spent a spectacular morning with this indian wildlife I thoroughly recoomend stopping by. Binoculars may be helpful!

Visited October 2013
4 Thank Becmck
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“perfect for bird lovers!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

the entire park is very beautiful. There are lots of different birds from all over the world and also some animals you can see there in park. there is a sitting arrangement inside the park where we had our breakfast with so many birds and squirrels)))

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Parandzime T
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“Unexpected amount of wildlife”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

The bird sanctuary is located in Bharatpur - around 2 1/2 hours from Jaipur. I went in the off season which meant there were very few tourists - it felt as though we had the park just for ourselves

No cars are allowed in the park so you either walk, hire your own bike or get driven around by a naturalist in a rickshaw - this is the option we chose and one I would recommend as the naturalist (at least Harish, the one we had) was very knowledgeable and a good spotter.

The park itself is average in size but full of wildlife. You do not have to travel very far before you come across your first amazingly coloured bird, or your first family of macaques. Riding on the rickshaw means you are able to get very close. The park was very green when I went - which was in the dry season so I imagine it must really come to life after the monsoon.

As there are no cars, the park is very quiet and serene and you quickly forget the outside world once you enter.

We took quite a few trips to the park - early morning - when the light is beautiful and then close to sunset. It got quite hot towards the end of the morning trips so best to bring a hat. We did also experience a mini (and quite refreshing) storm whilst there - our naturalist carried on cycling however and so the trip was not spoiled.

The scenery is a mix of lakes, rivers, meadows and forest and there are various routes you can take which takes you deeper into the park.We spent between 3 and 4 hours there each time - although the time went by very quickly.

I saw a huge array of wildlife - much more than I expected -although it obviously doesn't compare to some of the larger parks and safaris you can go on. Take some binoculars for the bird viewing. We saw deer, jackalls, peacocks, vultures, monkeys, a huge turtle and lots of exotic birds which I can not name. The trip raised my interest in bird watching and so I hope to be more knowledgeable when I go back.

This was my first time wildlife watching in India and it was a gentle, thoroughly worthwhile experience.

Visited May 2014