“Family run, and lots of fun”
Review of Falcon Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bharatpur
Falcon Guest House
Ranked #9 of 27 Bharatpur B&B and Inns
Auckland, New Zealand
“Family run, and lots of fun”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Falcon has decent rooms, some with balconies, and nicely made beds. If you arrive and there are rooms free, ask to be shown all the options before deciding on your room. The rooms vary in price depending on size and location in the guest house.

It's a 10 minute walk from the bird park, and about a 3 minute walk to the helpful tourist reception office, the bus stand to Agra, and the train reservation office (next to the tourist reception office).

They all cook the food themselves in the kitchen next to the back yard. The back yard is very prettily decorated, with little tables and lights. There's a covered area for nights, and if there's a few of you out there, ask if they can start the brazier. There's a bit of a lack of concentration with food. Don't expect your food to arrive at any particular time, as it's a family-run thing. They may forget your order, or otherwise forget something else about your order. It's best to try to accept this for what it is and not mind too much.

Beer can be purchased on the opposite side of the main intersection about 2 mins walk from the hotel, as the hotel doesn't provide beer.

The hot water was not quite working when we there, but it may not have been there fault. There is a regular 6am-7am blackout in all of Bharatpur, which you should factor into your plans if you require an early start.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ploops

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
New Delhi, India
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Dear fellow travelers,

I mean in no way any disrespect to the reviews of others nor am I one who considers myself to be unreasonable in terms of expectations or someone who is not accommodating. Being is sales, I have stayed in all towns of India, big and small, but traveling alone and with family is very different.

Coming to straight to the point (you can also go to my last paragraph), on reading the reviews I rang up the Falcon and spoke to Rajni, who was pleasant on the phone and informed me that she is sold out but as luck would have it she does have two rooms available (for my family and another family accompanying us) for dates 27th - 28th Jan 2013. So we set off the Bharatpur and mid-way we called again and reconfirmed that we were on our way. Rajni asked if we were coming straight to her Guest House, as I had not paid her an advance or if we were going to check other hotels first. Alarm bells should have rang inside me but I still told her that we would come to her directly.

On reaching we were greeted by Rajni and showed our rooms on the ground floor. The rooms were damp, full of mosquitoes, dark and dingy bathrooms, and far from acceptable linen. Rajni could see our disappointment written all over of faces, but made light of it. As one of the rooms had an Indian style WC, she showed us to a room out front that was even more depressing. We just could not settle for any of the rooms provided. As one of uswent next door (Forest Lodge) as that place looked in better shape, they were unfortunately sold out, but news was quickly passed on to Rajni that we were looking around.

This is when the friendly Rajni, as far as I am concerned, showed her true colors. On knowing that we would not take her sub-standard rooms (I do not know the state of the rooms on the first floor as they were already occupied), she confronted my wife and demanded that we pay for a nights penalty. When we told her that the rooms were no where close to hospitable, she said that she could have easily sold them to someone else and would not let us go unless we paid up. Upon our reasoning with her she then to our amazement and surprise threatened us and said "You people are tourist and from out of town, we are powerful people, so pay up if you know what good for you" The above was said in Hindi and coming from a lady, and in such bad taste that I just took out the money Rs 800, gave it to her and walked out which Rajni still demanding that I pay for the other room also.

Anyway, all I want to say is Beware of this Guesthouse and certainly if you rub Rajni the wrong way. This is a $10/night place and if thats what you are looking for thats exactly what you get but only here its $5/night worth. Very very disappointing.

Apart from this, we moved into better accommodation and thoroughly enjoyed bird-watching at the the Keoladeo National park.

Room Tip: If you are trapped to stay here, maybe the rooms on the 1st floor are better.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Anupam M
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed at the Falcon about five years ago and returned for a six night stay in December.It is often said you should never go back but my memory had not played tricks and the Falcon did not disappoint whatsoever.
Tej and Rajni are still excellent hosts and go out of their where to ensure your stay is comfortable.Nothing is too much trouble for them and their cooking would satisfy the most discerning palate as well as being most reasonably priced..It was a delight to breakfast on pancakes in the garden before setting off for a "hard"day in the sanctuary.
The rooms are spacious,spotless and well maintained and are great value for money.For those who cannot do without a computer there is even wifi available.
The guest house is in a very quiet location yet only a brisk 15 minute walk ,or a 5 minute rickshaw ride, to the sanctuary.
Many thanks Tej and Rajni.I am sure you will make wonderful grandparents!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank tigerwatcher
Kochi (Cochin), India
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Situated very close to the Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary, this is a very good option to stay while visiting the park. The rooms are clean and reasonably priced. The hospitality is first class. The best feature which attracted us to this place is its home cooked food. Delicious, fresh and as per our choice, the food is personally prepared by the owners and hence has good quality. For bird lovers, bharatpur can be made the base from which they can travel to Agra, Jaipur etc....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Malabar_Hornbill
New Delhi
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We have been going to this place for years and enjoying the stay and food , courtesy of Tej Singh & the dynamic Ms Rajni. Very knowledgeable about the birds and park.love their tea . Rajni Singh's palak (spinach) is excellent.

Room Tip: The first floor rooms are better
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank SLochan
Portland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Even if they were not located next to the most amazing bird sanctuary I've ever seen, I would come here just to enjoy the gracious company, delicious meals, and friendly, peaceful demeanor of Tej and Rajni and their lovely family! I stayed with them for only 3 days and I feel like we are close friends. Their house and yard are beautifully kept and the landscaping and gardens make it the perfect place to sit and relax outdoors or in. They were very helpful in advising me on the best things to see in the area and how to plan my time and get around. The wonderful architectural sites in the area: Fatehpur Sikri, Deeg and the Taj Mahal are all easy day or half-day trips from Bhartpur.

Room Tip: The street is quiet and the house is set back so all the rooms are equally pleasant and peaceful.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Seattle
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Quite a nice place to stay (double Rs 800). After staying in February 2011, we enthusiastically returned in February 2012. Very clean and comfortable, and excellent value. The owner is quite knowledgeable about birds. Like most Bharatpur tourist accommodation, it is on the same side of town as the bird sanctuary. It is perhaps 400m farther from the entrance to the bird sanctuary than the closest hotel – this mildly complicates the process of getting into the sanctuary early. Has its own excellent restaurant off the p-leasant back lawn and very friendly management.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends