“Probably the best parantha I have ever had! Yum! Yum! Yum!”
Review of Kesar da Dhaba

Kesar da Dhaba
Ranked #3 of 369 Restaurants in Amritsar
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery
Reviewed October 22, 2012

First things first.. do not use the google map as a location indicator.. this place is off the beaten track, hidden away in a little lane way.. I paid Rs30 (a local would have paid Rs5-10) from the large roundabout where the public vehicle access ends on the way to the Golden Temple..

Second thing.. the opening hours are 11:00 am - 4.30 pm, re-opening 7:00 pm - 11:00 pm. Unaware of the trading hours, I arrived at 5:30 pm & luckily for me they were kind enough to still serve me.

I ordered a Parantha Thali, it included two AMAZING paranthas (which the waiter crushed with his hands when he delivered my food, they made a wonderful crunch sound!), daal, plain raita, mango pickle, fresh onion slices. I also asked for fresh green chilli & had a bottled water. My bill came to Rs160!

I'm so glad I persevered with trying to find it.. Or should I say gave up on trying to find it on foot and took a rickshaw instead..

Tip: I took a photo with my phone of the shopfront pic displayed on this website, then showed it to a driver. I've done this a couple of times & find it works a treat in getting where I want to go without confusion..

Note: I would have given this place a rating of 'excellent' if the aesthetics were slightly better, or if my review style was based on food only, as the food was EXCELLENT.

2  Thank TheLoveOfFoodStory1

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Amritsar's oldest famous “Kesar Da Dhaba” was Estb. in 1916.We took a cycle rick through the narrow lanes of Amritsar to reach this place. we were very hungry and the hotel was not yet opened.we were waiting outside for delicious food. the restaurant opened only at 11.00am.
Pure ghee parathas wow..wow...We ordered for Malai Kofta, Bhartha,Shahi Paneer and Allu Pranthas.
Try out Phirni - Dessert, it is world class taste and also try Ras Malai and Kheer, its yummy.
Everything is made out of pure desi ghee & truly punjabi by nature.

2  Thank WandererofIndia
Reviewed October 15, 2012

as i entered the KESAR DA DHABA,i thought that the food wuold not be outstanding because of the ambience and the interiors.But, i had heared about it a several times.As i started having the food,it proved me wrong.The food here is cheap,fresh and delicious.When i was talking to the owner after having the food, he invited me to see the kitchen of the dhaba.He told me that the kitchen's layout is as-it-is from 96 years.Well, i enjoyed having food here.The place is highly recommended.

3  Thank anantjain26
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Pure ghee parathas to die for! Worth going in a rickshaw through the narrow lanes to this "hole in the wall" eatery for the BEST parathas in the world!

2  Thank global007
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Heritage Food.One of the Oldest places in food industry in the Town . Been going there for ages but food tastes immaculate always .