“Lovely hotel with lovely people but needs a few things to be sorted...”
Review of Ranjit's SVAASA

Ranjit's SVAASA
Ranked #14 of 98 Hotels in Amritsar
Reviewed December 1, 2008

We stayed here for two nights and had a suite with a lovely outside seating area on the first floor. Room was spacious and comfortable but the solar powered shower was very capricious! If you weren't getting scalded, you were frozen and on the last morning, the water stopped altogether!
The staff were really nice and helpful and there were wonderful smells all over the hotel. Both breakfast and dinner were excellent.
We visited the Golden Temple, Durga's Temple and watched the closing of the border ceremony-Wagah, which were all excellent. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Amritsar but not sure if we would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Ranjit's SVAASA

Reviewed November 27, 2008

This is a small and quiet location, with a lovely calming atmosphere. Our guide, who took us to the golden temple, and the Wagh border, was excellent as was the driver. Both provided through the hotel as part of Svassa tours. The rooms have character, and it's worth paying a little extra for a suite if you prefer more space. Our shower wasn't working properly on the first day but they quickly sorted it out. Meals are also very good, and it was one of the only places on our tour where we stayed in for dinner.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2008

Ranjit's Svaasa is a real oasis. A very genuine Indian experience with warm staff and beautiful rooms in a wonderful old house. Having stayed in hotels all over India, this one is really special. Try the ayurvedic treatment while you're there. Not for those who only want Western style - then go for a Taj. Ranjit's Svaasa is a much more intimate environment - so peaceful. I had a really wonderful stay.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Mo211
Reviewed October 2, 2008

I really enjoyed my stay at the Ranjit Svaasa.

Located off the main road it is lovely and quiet.

As soon as you open the doors to the reception you are greeted by a peaceful atmosphere, cool air and the wonderful smell of lemongrass. It is also nice to see that it is well kept and clean.

The decor is colonial style. If you are tired of business hotels that all look the same...you are going to love it at the Ranjit Svaasa!

The majority of the staff were freindly and helpful. Only a couple of the women seemed a littel aloof on a couple of occasions.

The food is very good although I only used the snack menu which is priced very reasonably compared to larger hotels. I can recommend the vegetable kathi rolls, veg biryani, veg pizza, tea and cake and the grilled sanwiches! The buffet breakfast isn't as vast as larger establishments but you will still get a good meal with both Indian and Continental to choose from. I don't remember the name but they do a very tasty Indian savoury pancake in the mornings which should be tried. None of the food I ate here gave me any tummy problems.

I tried the Spa facilities and booked myself in for a head massage. As I had just caught a cold the lady used oils and techniques that would alleviate some of the symptoms. It was 25 mins of bliss and well worth the 500 rupees I paid (approx. £6).

I stayed in the Sunrise room which was humungous! The bathroom was also a good size with a large tub. The room had air con, in room safe, tea and coffee making facilities, etc. Bathroom came with slippers, gown and toilettries. All rooms are none smoking but most have a patio/terrace outside so popping out for a ciggy is no problem.

They have free wifi access although the connection isn't always that good.

Location wise there's not much about. There is a small shopping mall about 5 mins away but it isn't up to much.

The only thing that was mildly irritating was the hot water. As the water is heated from solar panels on the roof it can take a little while before reaching a decent temperature. The shower in my room was also a little feeble.

Should I go back to Amritsar...this is where I will stay.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank baozao
Reviewed August 24, 2008

August 22-23, 2008

I had wanted to celebrate my birthday a little differently this time, and that's why I decided to pay a visit to the city of Amritsar. Having visited and known the standard of hotels in the smaller towns of India, I was slightly skeptical on the quality of accomodation I would get in Amritsar. But I have to admit I am so glad I made the choice of staying here, inspite of reading the mixed reviews on tripadvisor.

It is a really old house in one small inroad of Amritsar and it is beautiful. The owners have done it up with vintage furniture. Most of the guests are foreigners (to the extent that some local people I contacted before visiting had not heard of it). Considering I did not want to spend my birthday cribbing about unclean and depressing rooms, I could not have been happier to have stayed here.

Having said that, I think it's important to know what to expect from the place. If you are looking for a lavish 5 star accomodation, this is not the place. The towels are not immaculately soft with the threadcount standards intact, or smelling of some pleasant fabric softener aroma. But if you enjoy living at a home away from home, you should like it. It's got terraces, courtyards, a small lawn, all done up very well. I can't disagree that maybe it is a little overpriced, but I would rather pay couple of thousands more than fight with the feeling of going back to a depressing room. Finally, yes, the staff is no doubt friendly - but a little hassled at times - be it at the check in desk or inside the dining hall. I did not think they were hotel management students, but just locals helping out, but to reiterate very polite and pleasant. Like I said, its a more like a house/home and less like a hotel - so the service was not devoid of mistakes - but it's only a matter of chance. I have stayed at other non 5-star lodges, and cottages before, but the staff and service here was much much better than those standards. They also have a small memento for you to take back when checking out.

Finally, if you are looking for a heavy, greasy typical Punjabi feast, step out. The food again is just like you would get at an Indian household (which by the way is not all greasy and oily on an everyday basis). They also have a spa which looked nice, but unfortunately I did not have the time to experience that. The only other thing you may want to step out for is hired taxi's - though they do have standard tours available to see the sights in the city, it is a overpriced. However, if you are not comfortable finding your way through - it's not a bad option.

Overall, I think an excellent place to say - I will definitely go back to visit the golden temple sometime..and this is where I am gonna stay!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank 22bees
Reviewed August 22, 2008

Nice Property but Aloof , we had to go deep into the gullies to reach the hotel. At first we were afraid but after that when we reached the hotel it was okay.

All was good but only the Location was Awful , the Gullies was not what I expected to reach to this hotel. Rest I would say if it had been a Hill Station , i would have been happy at this hotel but in Amritsar , this Hotel is not meant for this city ( i was there to visit places not relax )

I spite of everything I would Rate this Hotel at 2 stars.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 18, 2008

Ranjits SVAASA is one of the most beautiful hotels we have stayed in. The care and attention of the staff is wonderful - quiet but attentive. You should feel very proud of your hotel and the care you all give to weary travellers.

• Stayed: May 2008