“Be in the moment and enjoy it all”
Review of Grand Hotel

and 1 more site!
Grand Hotel
Ranked #47 of 112 Hotels in Amritsar
Reviewed November 7, 2009

I found The Grand Hotel in Amritsar was to be very clean, definately value for money and a kind of an oasis in a busy town. The food was good the and staff was friendly but we only stayed the one night (in late out fairly early) so could really get a feel for the hotel. What we experienced we were happy enough with so I would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed September 15, 2009

I am curious to see if this is still one of the Lonely Planet's 'top pick' in their newest edition of their India travel book (recently released). My impression is that perhaps at one time they were deserving of that title but now abuse it by overcharging for their rooms.

Reasons Why I Rated This Hotel Poor:

1) They Overcharge

We shared a car with a nice couple to the Wagah Border Crossing through the hotel. The couple mentioned that they only paid 800 INR a night for their room, while we were paying 1290 (for one person) and 1600 (for a two person room). They said the couples room was 'under construction' but this was not true.

2) They Make You Pay ASAP

They forced us to pay as soon as we checked in (only hotel in India that did this).

3) No Sheets

The rooms came with no sheets, we had to request that they give us some.

Overall Amritsar is pretty horrible for mid range hotels. If you are a hotel owner I suggest you open a hotel there. A friend of mine had to walk out of three hotels before he settled on the MK hotel. I asked if he came to the Grand, when he said no and the Lonely Planet suggested it I thought it would be a good fit...I was wrong.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank CaliSkiGal
Reviewed July 28, 2009

on a 7-week trip with our 2 daughters (5-6). 2 nights : 1800rs a night, extra bed, ac room, not inclusive of breakfast. although in hot (very hot) season, no need to use the ac, which was a good job since it was very noisy. we had a room downstairs, which we much preferred to the ones upstairs since they give direct access to the lovely garden. our daughters enjoyed playing on the swings. amritsar is noisy and dirty (except for the temple of course) and it was really nice to come back to the hotel at night. hotel is walking distance from the station - 5mn away, no need to take a taxi.
you need to take a rickshaw to go to the temple - about 10-15mn away.
we really enjoyed our stay in this hotel. it looks shabby from the outside but is lovely inside. the service was good as well as the food.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank sybriel
Reviewed July 19, 2009

Been first time in Amritsar and travelling by myself only I experienced not only a warm welcome but also very good touristical service. Mr. S. Kumar personally took care of me and only by his help I could utilize my short stay (one afternoon and evening only) to the very best. Food and room was good. So I can recommend the Grand.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank HenryMunich
Reviewed June 5, 2009

Great Stay in this hotel. With its charming gardens and old world charm, this was a perfect place to stay in Amritsar. The staff was very helpful and polite. Food was excellent. Dont miss the bar "Bottoms Up". All in all a very good stay.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sharad1234
Reviewed June 5, 2009

Freshly renovated and clean rooms. The bathrooms are comfortable. It is a good value for the money you pay!
One must avail the pick-up and drop anywhere in the city for just 75 bucks! And since the station is right opposite the hotel, you can simply walk across.
Who would have thought of Amritsar to serve excellent Draught Beer? Bottoms Up, Grand Hotel, is the one stop for beer drinkers! Good food, Good Beer, Good Service!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank sujeetK
Reviewed May 18, 2009

The staff here are very co-operative, the rooms here are average.
The food is good but expensive.Overall an average hotel to stay.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple