“Three days in Amritsar and trip to Srinagar”
Review of Grand Hotel

Grand Hotel
Ranked #52 of 97 Hotels in Amritsar
Boston
“Three days in Amritsar and trip to Srinagar”
Reviewed April 21, 2012

I stayed three days in Grand hotel, after visiting the Golden Temple or just a chai in the train station (just look at people in full swing is an experience) or shopping in the bazaar to reach the hotel's garden and feel peace and tranquility is quite a relaxing . The service is friendly and attentive and the menu excellent.
I met other travelers at the hotel (a couple from New Zealand who had a year and a half traveling around the world, many Indians with their families and some Europeans) and advised me not to go to Varanasi (my next destination) as it was so hot that I did not know where to go. I asked to the owner of the hotel, Sanjay, he was concerned about my trip and we saw several alternatives, at the end decided to go to Srinagar in Kashemir. Sanjay got me the way by car to Jammu, plane tickets and a houseboat in Srinagar. The trip was organized with great care and attention and for a very reasonable price (take this opportunity to recommend Srinagar, the landscape is wonderful and is a very different environment and culture to the rest of India).
I also made a trip to the border with Pakistan (10 USD) to see the changing of the guard, all a show, you laugh and it is really quite a party.
Excellent place to stay, very nice people to meet, good memories to share.
Namaste
Luis, the spanish guy from Boston.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Luis S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2012

We stayed here for four nights in March 2012. The rooms were OK and cleanish, but the ground floor rooms (where we stayed) are a bit of a pain because, despite having huge windows, if you opened your curtains everybody could easily see into your room. The rooms had a musty damp smell. There's no AC and the TV had no English channels. The main problem in the room was the bathroom. Hot water was OK but the toilet barely flushed (and if like me, you have a bout of food poisoning their, a flushing toilet is an essential)...

There were lots of good points about this place too. Some of the staff (especially the young man at reception) are very helpful. They organise a great tour to the Pakistan border and can organise long range taxis at a very good rate. There's also an on site pub/restaurant that serves good food and snacks and they also serve a good breakfast in the garden. The location is also great as its opposite the train station.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank danhux
Amritsar, India
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Near the railwaystation but inside this hotel it's another world. Very quiet, tea watching the green garden. Excellent place to stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IndiaLover_12
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
Reviewed March 25, 2012

We stayed at the Grand Hotel near the end of five weeks in India and found it to be the worst Hotel of our trip. Reviews in both the Lonely Planet and Tripadivsor meant our hopes were quite high for a nice hotel in a garden setting.
In reality the Grand was very rundown, in the middle of renovations that looked like they would take quite a long time to complete. Our room was the most underwhelming of all we had encountered in India, no character, the bed was much to short for my husband (who is just under 6 ft) and even my feet touched the end (and I am of average height!), TV, which was talked up by the staff and apparently meant we had been 'upgraded' had only one English channel. The bathroom was not very clean, the shower a terrible dribble and took ages to heat up.
The garden, and the whole place really, looked like it needed better looking after. The included breakfast (at an extra price) was not tasty, and not cheap, and when we asked after our first very disappointing breakfast if we could have the rest of our stay without the breakfast included the staff said that was not possible, which really annoyed me. The restaurant prices were very inflated and the food average compared to what we found elsewhere. Internet was not included in the price of the rooms, which were quite high, as we had experienced elsewhere on our stay.
The only good thing about the stay was it was close to the train station.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HollyGriffin

Travelers are raving about these Amritsar hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 24, 2012

I would stay here again. The location is a minute walk across the road from the railway station, highly convenient when arriving/leaving with luggage! Rickshaws into town are passing right outside the door for very cheap to the main sites.
My room was the most basic/cheapest double. It had a good tv, hot water, a good size bathroom & good size bed. Room smelt a bit musty.. The rooms don't seem to get much natural light or air circulation. The garden courtyard is lovely & the food excellent!!
Staff were always helpful and friendly.
The tour to the border crossing/mata temple/golden temple at night was a great way to see the sites comfortably for 500INR.
You can conveniently pay by cash or Visa card.
There is also free wifi for guests.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2012
Seattle
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Decent and clean, with sizable pleasant courtyard (where meals can be taken) as well as enclosed restaurant (Amritsar can be chilly in the winter). All but the cheapest rooms well insulated from the street noise outside. Unfortunately, in our 2011 visit, fouled up our reservation intended to assure us a room and a hot shower when we arrived very early in the morning (but not the rest of our reservation), though we did get into rooms fairly early that day (and ultimately got hot water). In effect, we were charged for a room we didn’t get. Decided to try them again in 2012 and had no problem. Hotel clearly visible from the northeast entrance to the train station parking/staging area. Easily walkable from there, especially if you use the pedestrian overcrossing over Grand Trunk / Queens Rd. just to the south / your left as you reach the northeast station entrance.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank fbdaz
Amritsar, India
Reviewed March 7, 2012

I showed up in Amritsar at 2am off the only train from Pathankot I could find. The staff at Hotel Grand let me in even though they didn't have a room for me, and let me rest in the lobby after a long journey. The next morning they had a very clean and nice room for me, with a hot shower and plenty of space. The green courtyard in the center is a much needed oasis from the craziness that is Amritsar and the business of the wonderful Golden Temple. The food in the cafe located inside the hotel was great. The 500 IR tour of the Indo/pak border ceremony+the golden temple at night was a great deal for anyone looking do go there. Most of all, the owner Sanjay and the rest of the staff were always very friendly and helpful with anything I needed. I'm very glad I stayed here.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo