“good but street were very very dirty”

Amritsar Heritage Walk
Ranked #1 of 16 Tours in Amritsar
More attraction details
Owner description: I am Gurinder Johal(Writer, Social Worker and a guide), working as a guide in Amritsar since 2004. The City which was established by the 4th Guru of the Sikhs is a symbol of the brotherhood, History, Culture and Heritage of Punjab. Come & explore the hidden treasure of Amritsar and know the essence of India. ABOUT HERITAGE WALK:- Heritage walk is a guided tour deep inside the narrow lanes and Bye lanes of the 400 year old city of amritsar. One gets to see Katras, Akharas Bungas, Havelis,and Hatties. The walk takes you back in the time as you witness town planning traditional trade and crafts being Practiced in the same place and in the same manner as has been done for centuries.
Reviewed April 20, 2014

our guide was Rajwinder kaur who conducts the walk every day,she is very helpful and charming lady,there is great heritage but badly showcased, building are in pitiable conditions, stray dogs every where.any how Rajwinder was wonderful guide ever we have, she possess great knowledge about the city

1  Thank louis_jap_63
There are newer reviews for Amritsar Heritage Walk

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Time of walk: Everyday, 8am and 5 pm
Location: Townhall (it's a big pink building), the side which faces Jama Mashjid
Fee: Rs 25 per person (no, this is not a typo)

The walk was amazing, Mrs Havindar Kaur took us around the streets of the old history, giving us insight on the historical, architectural and religious significance of all the places, spiced up with tales of kings, guru's and landlords that pretty much keeps you gripped. Her knowledge was encyclopedic, exceeding your expectations from a guide.

I highly recommend this as a way to start your trip, you will probably have a whole bunch of new places (that you may not find online) that you'd want to visit after the walk. One example of this in my case was Baba Taal Singh da Gurudwara, with a building 9 stories tall, from the roof, you can see the whole city of Amritsar! (you need to get here at specific times, else you can't go to the top... the morning time is 8-10, feel free to ask the guide details :))

1  Thank NikhilTalwar
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I did the walk this morning and thoroughly enjoyed it. Mr Singh is very knowledgable about the city and we went down all the alleys and nooks and crannies of Amritsar. All the spots where as a tourist, I wouldn't think to go. Plus he points out all the interesting tit bits of history. So instead of just walking past things as a tourist, you get to understand things more.

Well worth it!

Reviewed April 14, 2014

This review is for my Heritage Walk tour of Amritsar and for my guide Davinder Singh. I thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of my tour and also Davinder. The tour itself was fun and very informative. This heritage and culture in Amristar is so complex and interesting. This is a city that does not get too many visitors, but was as fascinating and beautiful as anywhere else in India, and I felt like I had much of it myself all of the time. The people are so friendly and helpful there.

As for Davinder, I just cannot say enough about the professionalism and demeanor of this man who started out as my guide and ended up as my friend. He is a wealth of knowledge. He promptly met me at the City Hall in Amritsar even though that is not his official job anymore. The actual tour guide who was supposed to be there, was not there, and I happened to find an old review of Davinder that had a phone number. When I called him, he told me that this was not his job any more, but that he did not want me to miss out on a tour of the wonderful city he calls home, Amritsar, India, in the Punjab. Therefore I lucked out and got a private personal tour. He showed me the ins and outs of the city, explained all the interesting history, showed me all the best snacks to sample amongst the street food, took me to a great restaurant, and even picked out a wonderful Sikh music cd, which I absolutely love.

He speaks fluent English and was very friendly. He answered all of my questions and made sure that I was safe and well cared for.

He can help you with tour guiding services in other cities in India also. I would highly recommend him in any endeavor. And while in Amristar, you cannot miss the Golden Temple and the India/Pakistan border parade.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

Its sheer waste of time, it would have been better to sit in one place and see pictures of the glorious past of this city, Besides the place is stinking of garbage as well as urine and faeces. It is very sad indeed , my heart breaks to see the past glory all vanishing due to the negligence and non appreciation of heritage, We met the knowledgeable Mr Davinder who took us along , poor guy he cannot do much , i wish there were many like him who could contribute to restoration and preservation of whatever is left . We indians do not appreciate the heritage , the history , the past of a place ...this is what tourists go to see not the modernity of any place.

3  Thank Sparkie09