“Horrible experience”
Review of Hotel Darbar View

Hotel Darbar View
Ranked #53 of 98 Hotels in Amritsar
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Our experience differed hugely from many reviewers. It took forever for the taxi to find this place and i.
'm sorry he did find it, as it was dirty, loud and unsafe. The room was tiny with a thin piece of foam on plywood substituting for a mattress. No hot water of any kind. No safe and we later discovered some money had disappeared. No restaurant although one was advertised. No idea where this so called view was as our room had no window. Staff used the room opposite for loud TV watching. We bailed on our second night even though we had paid for it. It just wasn't worth it.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nicola R
There are newer reviews for Hotel Darbar View

Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Let's be clear with a few things. You get what you pay for except we didn't as the room info is not as clear as it could be. We stayed here for two nights.

The room itself (super deluxe) was a reasonable size and the bed was comfy although there is only one pillow each and it is thin and I ended up with neck ache.

Booking.com advertised the hotel as offering twin beds but the hotel doesn't have twin beds. However, they did offer a mattress on the floor for free which was nice.

There was no hot water at any time, morning, afternoon or evening. They advertise 24 hour hot water so I expect it to be 24 hours or at least available in the morning.

There was no safe, mini bar, tea/coffee facilities or hair dryer in the room as advertised and the cable TV did not work as the box did not have a plug on it. The Internet was ok but needed to constantly log in.

This hotel completely lacked attention to detail. I knew it would be the worst hotel we would stay in during our month long trip in India but it was worse than expected.

The noise from the street was horrendous and constant during all hours. Cars, horns, people, dogs, it was relentless. To make it worse, the congregation of staff at reception after midnight kept us awake and there was no consideration for their guests who may have been sleeping at 1am. Loud chatter with the TV blairing out but to be fair when I went to ask them to turn it down and be quiet they did so. However, should I have had to do that? No. In addition, the other guests were inconsiderate with almost every door banging at 5am. It was the worst two nights sleep (I only got two hours sleep the second night) I have had in a long time.

The plus points were the location. The staff were friendly and arranged the taxi collection to and from the train station although at 500 rupees each way it was exceedingly over priced but being two white girls it is easier to pay the hotel to pick us up to avoid the hassle. The taxi to the Wagaha Border was arranged promptly and was great and a reasonable price. There will always be someone who will do things for cheaper but sometimes we just don't have the time to shop about and it is easier to just arrange and pay there and then. I had no problem with the bill on check out. Everything was detailed and broken down with no hidden charges which was excellent. I needed an Indian plug adaptor and the lady pointed me down the road which was very helpful.

They advertised they did room service but when we asked to order something they said they didn't do food. However, on check out they asked if I'd had any room service and checked their food order book. That annoyed me as clearly they did do food. Mind you, if we had not popped out for that hour to wander about and look for food we would not have met Davinder Singh of http://www.tripadvisor.in/Attraction_Review-g303884-d2646248-Reviews-Amritsar_Heritage_Walk-Amritsar_Punjab.html

I have reviewed that separately.

Overall, it's not a bad hotel but just be aware of expectations.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Purdz
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This hotel has some very good staff, the people at the reception, the room service folks and the drivers are extremely friendly.

This hotel is very close to the Golden Temple, located just about 100 yards from the entrance, and the Jallianwalla bagh is also at a walk-able distance – about ½ km may be.

The rooms itself is a concern here. I booked a super deluxe room, but to my surprise, the room is just about 8x8 with an attached bathroom. The room is capable of just fitting a double bed and nothing else. They do however have provided a small coffee table, a small cabinet for the clothes and a flat TV mounted on the wall. We had to literally lie down on the bed to watch the TV screen. It is difficult to even walk freely inside the room. The bathroom was decent.

The amount that I paid for the super deluxe room will fetch me some other nice hotels in Amritsar, may be at a little more distance from the temple

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, then choose a super-deluxe room and the one one with a balcony
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank vinoy_joseph
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I was staying with my son 5 years old in Darbar View for 2 night. Very nice atmosphere and friendly people. Very close to the Golden Temple. Rooms are clean and comfortable. we were enjoying our staying in Amritsar with Darbar View.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Amuria
Reviewed April 24, 2013

It's a holiest hotel I have ever been in a sacred place in India at an reasonable price. The hospitality of front office is a canopy of holy culture of the local people

Stayed from 17th to 19th April 2013 with my parents, wife and my daughter. This is the hotel for every age in a divine place like Amritsar.

Bhupesh Ch Dey
Guwahati.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Bhupeshcdey
Reviewed April 15, 2013

It's a 5 star for a 2 star price, we enjoye every bit of our stay. Right next to golden temple, durgiana temple is also 10mins walk from the lanes . The best punjabi kesar ka Dhaba is 2mins walk. Helpful staff good location clean rooms value for money. Hotel has airport transfers / border trips equally reasonable price, better than getting cheated by the local auto rickshaws. Owner (Gaurav) has total involvement to keep everything well maintained and makes sure you depart satisfied. We will definitely visit again.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Ricky371
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Let's be clear. This hotel is ok because of the position. It is just behind the golden temple and it is into the old city. The room are good size, but not particularly clear as the bathroom. A lot of noisy from the other rooms or from the streets fro 6 am.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple