“Meh hotel close to Golden Temple”

Hotel Golden Heritage
Ranked #87 of 98 Hotels in Amritsar
Reviewed July 20, 2014

It's not the best of hotels but if you want somewhere close to the Golden Temple this is a good place to stay. Rooms are not the cleanest and the staff (although very helpful) haven't got great English skills. That complicates communication a bit. As a girl traveling by myself, I felt the young staff were a bit.....creepy but it was worth it to be 5 minutes from the Temple.

Room Tip: If you have a bit more budget consider staying at one of the rooms AT the Golden Temple. Got told th...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed March 4, 2014

There are few hotels in walking distance of Golden temple and this is one of them; It gets filled up last as it is in a bylane and perhaps not so spacious. But you can visit Harmandir Saab any time on foot [you step outside and are at the temple entrance] and good punjabi food and tea just outside. When on a temple visit, the visit is short and proximity counts. Value for money. Rooms are small ; Lift is not there probably. We stayed a night. Staff is helpful.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 16, 2013

We stayed there in last week of October 2013. Hotel was booked by travel agent.
It is very close to temple. Staff's were good and helpful. we wanted extra bed so they gave us folding bed.

Rooms are old and small. There was problem with hot water in tap so they us water in bucket.
Breakfast was also okay. Its an average hotel but only good thing close to temple.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I had to take this hotel, as I went to Amritsar on Dussehra weekend & hence there was a huge rush of ppl. Stayed here for 2 nights ( 12th & 13-Oct-2013 ) ... My review:

Good Things:
============
- It's very very near to Darbar Sahib ( Golden Temple ). It helped us to visit the Gurudwara anytime we wanted.

- There are good breakfast & snacks option near the hotel ( Babbi Snacks is really good for breakfast, Gol gappe waale in the evening, Bante waali botal, tasty tea etc :)

- The market is also very nearby. Also Jallianwala Bagh.

- Bathroom was really good & clean ( with 24*7 hot & cold water ) - with good quality wc, taps etc. Wash basin was tiny though. So there was no place to put things.

- TV with cable connection is there.

- Mr. Pinka ( Manager ) was a jolly & helpful guy & allowed me to change my room from 2nd to 1st floor the next day - considering that my mother will have to climb less stairs.

- Generator backup is there.

Problems:
=========
- There is no lift in the hotel. So definitely not recommended for old ppl.

- Had to pay Rs 850 per day for non-AC room because of Dusshehra rush & the rooms are definitely not worth the price. The manager candidly told me that they r charging more because of festive season only & normally the tariff is less.

- There are some ok rooms in the hotel. However I noticed that some rooms were really damp with lots of leakage. 2 rooms in which I stayed were ok. It's problem was that it was totally dark & you can't see a thing without light. And the CFL in my room was on almost on the death bed. In 2nd room light was ok.

- The room was not spacious. So if u've lots of luggage, you'll face difficulty.

- Bedsheets & blankets were not clean.

- Generator failed on the 2nd day & it took almost 3 hrs to fix it. This was the worst part - as it was afternoon time.

- Didn't hear much of traffic noise in my room. However some ppl played loud music during the day for an hour or so.

Room Tip: Take the front / street facing rooms. They are nicely lit. Other rooms are dark.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Moksh_Tripper
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

My family visited there but the place was very dirty. Rooms were in shabby conditions. Bed sheets were full of oily spots and they were not ready to change even after request.. Towels were black and white, no soap, etc etc etc.. Endless complaints...

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I sayed here for 3 nights in October 2012. Though I had booked a pickup at the airport, they forgot me... I had to take a taxi. I arrived late in the evening, they give me a horrible room at 1st floor : very little, it smelt mold, and it was impossible to let the air get in. The day after, in the morning, I asked to change of room, they showed me another room that was very large, nice and at the third floor. But they said that thay had to clean it and that I would have it in the afternoon. But when I came back in the evening, thay gave me another room, less large and less clear, at the second floor. They didn't give any reason, just "we can't give yoy any ore the on you saw this morning". At the end of my stay, I complained, they gave me a very poor discount of 150 rupees...

An don't order any breakfast, you will have to wait for 45 mn minimum to be served.

The staff doesn't care about their clients, it is a shame.

Never go to this hotel, There are a lot of good hotels in the same quarter, near the golden temple.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The fellow (not sardarji) who was at counter was helping. The rooms are costly in consonance with the facilities. We paid Rs.850/- per day for NON-AC Double Bed room for one day. The rooms are not worth of this amount. The pillows are dirty from inside. The bed sheets are not clean. The walls of the rooms are having see pages. The plaster is also coming off. The TVs are very old and the remote control are not usable. The toilets are clean but the towels are very old and feels like it is dirty. The hotel claims for hot water availability but it needs to be informed to hotel staff for switch it on and despite telling them many times it doesn't run hot water in the taps. The food in hotel was not tasted, so there is no comment about it. The hotel doesn't take care good to the customers as it is almost full housed everyday due to its proximity to Golden Temple. It is better to ask the hotel staff for each and every thing about Amritsar. The most shocking incident happened to us was that hotel manager told us that we can park the car in front of hotel and it will not be toed by police. Our driver told him that it may be toed by the police but he took guarantee later on the police made challan for Rs.300/-. I think this incident happened with the connivance with the hotel staff. So beware of the assurance given by the hotel mananger and park the vehicle in parking only. One thing was positive about this hotel was that it did not charge us for our 2 hour over stay in hotel. Overall the rating for the facilities and the behaviour of the staff of the hotel and the other ameneties are poor only.

Room Tip: If having time first check out the rooms before booking.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family