“Paradise”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Munnar
Rose Gardens Homestay
Ranked #5 of 193 Munnar B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I certainly agree with the excellent and thorough reviews posted from travellers about this homestay. We wanted to spend the night at Rose Gardens but due to a misunderstanding with our driver we were taken off to another homestay. I called Tomy the next morning hoping to see the place anyway following lonely planet recommendations and get some dinner there. At such short notice, he and Rajee accommodated us to a wonderful dinner alone an hour before the scheduled dinnertime. I had a mini introduction to the outstanding Kerala cooking from Rajee. There were three or four different dishes with incredible chicken, spinach, bananas, honey from their hives and wonderful cumin tea and spices – talk about organic healthy food! Wow! All this for a price hardly equivalent to 7 euros! Tommy showed us around and gave me some lemongrass from his garden as a present -I had shopped for it everywhere in Kerala and could not purchase it. He also gave us a packet of his home grown coffee. The place is beautiful, spotless and the view on the jungle is a treat to the soul. I am sorry for the negative reviews I read on the site - they seem so unreal - hardly related to this place or its owners.

Room Tip: Call them before and establish requests
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
ty0258, Owner at Rose Gardens Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Thankyou for your review. Please book direct, to avoid these problem.
Tomy

There are newer reviews for Rose Gardens Homestay

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Rose Gardens was a wonderful haven after the heat of Cochin and the Backwaters. The homestay is in a particular beautiful spot within the generally beautiful area around Munnar. The operator, Tomy, has a spectacular garden (plant nursery) around the homestay, so that your balcony looks out onto a forest of trees and flowers. (He is happy to give you a tour.) The balconies are in the back of the house, so far from the road, and very very quiet except for birdsounds. The rooms look out on the balcony and are quiet and pretty. The food, cooked by Tomy's wife, Rajee, is delicious--varied and ample, often made from items grown in the garden. (The bananas are the most wonderful we ever tasted.) Tomy even grows and grinds his own coffee, produces his own honey from small hives in the garden, as well as many of his own spices and vegetables.

Tomy knows the region well and is wonderful about helping you with your touring and travel arrangements, whether you wish to move by bus or private car. (He set up a wonderful driver for us, Sabu, who drove us to various sites around Munnar - some of these are quite far from the main town--as well as driving us to Thrissur and Cochin after Munnar.)

Tomy is a very honest, kind man, and everyone we dealt with through this guest house (and through his help) was very honest and reliable.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
ty0258, Owner at Rose Gardens Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear Sir & Madam,

Thank you for your precious time for this valuable review and I take this oppurtunity to express all of our sincere gratitude for being with us.
Thankyou Tomy

Reviewed April 23, 2013

An excelent homestay! Simple, but really clean, cozy and nice. Tommy and his family are amazing people, they guided us in tours across tea plantations and all around the best spots in the area. They arranged us Sabu - a really nice driver to take us everywhere, and also to take care of me and my friend. It is really importatnt in India to feel safe, specially if you are in 2 girls like us. So, to have all these care from Tommy, his son Deepak, and the Driver Sabu was amazing!!! The food is also delicious!!!! They cook really typicall food and are very kind to please you with special requirements (for intance, I don´t eat spicy food, so it was a paradise for me to have options of excellent non spicy food!) If you go to Munnar and really want to experience a simple but charming local house, and want to be hosted by amazing people, Rose Garden is an excellent choice! Ask Tommy to take you visit Pala Gardens, his brother flower gardens. A beauty you shouldn´t miss!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I have stayed with my partner at Rose Gardens Homestay on the first week of April for two nights.
I found this place simply amazing.
First of all : The breakfast and the dinner that are served. WoW! Real Kerala organic food. the sweet breakfast and the spicy dinners are cooked with deep Indian love and passion and you can feel and taste it in every bite.
Second :The family. They are welcoming, helpful and warm. I felt good since the first moment I entered into the property. They did all they could to make my journey memorable. and they succeed! and the kids are impressively well educated.
Third : the garden or better said the "plant nursery". I came from a family with gardening traditions but something like that I have never seen before.
Least but not last everything in the rooms was cured in every details, from the white and spotless bed linen to the clean and big toilet with hot and cold water.

This is the place to go to refresh, restore and heal your soul with fresh air, love, kindness and great local organic food!

I wish Tomy and his family all the best.

Room Tip: Ask them tips for the tours available
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Our short tour of Kerala took us to five homestays, of which this was by far the most comfortable.
With its excellent facilities and food, it might reasonably call itself a boutique hotel. The family received us most warmly, though a little more detached than our hosts elsewhere : one son showed us the plant nursery, and Tomi took us a delightful walk up through the tea gardens.
We would love to return there.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Its a little outside Munnar, but thats a good thing as there is nothing interesting to see or do in the town, its too busy. The family here are so friendly and attentive and the food they will cook you is excellent and a nice experience of authentic keralan home cooking. Tomy's garden is well worth a look too - an amazing variety of flowers, spices and fruits growing there. They can organise a trek for you with their son, but I would recommend finding a specialist company for that if you can as they will have experience organising food, a good route etc

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We spent three nights at the Rose Gardens Homestay in Munnar, at the beginning of our trip to India. The driver was waiting for us at the airport, and everything was very uncomplicated in terms of booking and the journey.

Rose Gardens itself is a lovely big house, set in a couple of acres of lush green gardens, which we were shown around on the morning of our second day. It was great to see all the spices and fruits growing, and the whole family are very knowledgeable about what they grow. The coffee in the garden ends up in your welcome breakfast cup!

The room was very spacious and very clean, with a big en-suite bathroom. There's hot water too, from the solar-heated tanks - a bit of a rarity in Kerala, and very welcome as it was a bit cooler in the mountains. We spent the first night in one of the rooms downstairs, before moving upstairs to one of the terrace rooms. Although the rooms downstairs was perfectly nice, it was lighter on the terrace and lovely to have the view over the garden.

Tomy and Rani were so welcoming, as were their sons, and full of suggestions as to how to spend the days in and around Munnar, with ideas for treks and day-trips. They have a driver, who is very happy to take you around the local area and pick up from the air port at a reasonable additional charge. In addition, we had some really excellent home-cooked food. There was so much choice! Mostly vegetarian, with some beef and chicken, but I couldn't fault anything about the food.

We were made to feel so welcome throughout our stay, and I couldn't fault anything. I left my sunglasses behind, but Tomy and Rani even took the time to send them on to one of our later destinations. Being a homestay, there isn't room service so don't expect food any time day or night, but we really enjoyed feeling like part of the family. Would thoroughly recommend!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple