All reviewshot waterplace to staynice valley viewholiday homebig roomexcellent viewroom service was goodevery eveningvisiting munnarcockerelbalconyteamountainscloudsindianmaintenanceclimate
Reviewed January 13, 2010

I think this is the only time I have stayed so far out of town, and loved it. Munnar's town centre is a bit of a hole (but great to visit, especially the market), so to come up this beautiful valley and perch at Shamrock is a great thing to do. We had some lovely walks in both directions from Shamrock, and also hired an autorickshaw driver to take us further afield, and fell in love with this part of the world.

Pramod, the manager, was extremely helpful and friendly, and the staff were always looking for ways to make our stay more enjoyable. Breakfast and dinner were of an excellent standard. Munnar's electricity supply is very unreliable, but only failed completely for a couple of minutes, and it wasn't a problem. Associated property Olive Brook is only a few minutes walk further down the road.

It was nice being so close to the neighbouring settlement/village - which was neither noisy nor smelly - and seeing the daily life there. Some people we spoke to found Munnar a bit low octane, and couldn't wait to get away, but we felt the opposite - it is so beautiful, and restful I wish we had stayed at least double our 2 nights there. And like the rest of Kerala, the people are lovely in Munnar.

One place slightly off the beaten track (just a km or 2 past the tea Museum) is the Srishti complex run by Tata, which looks after a few hundred disabled people - very impressive in India... go and have a look, and they also cook and sell some delicious food/pastries.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 23, 2009

1. Two words: GREAT FOOD. :) Dinner and breakfast was included in our tariff and that is truly a godsend. Some of the best food we tasted in South India, and it was a nice change to dine in the privacy of our room.
2. Large clean room and good bathroom. No complaints there, even though the construction is not to a very high standard (eg. the door takes some pushing to get closed and there is a gap in the window panes) but that would be being unfairly picky.
3. Service is generally good (especially the manager and Rinchu), but unpolished. 1 of the waiters, I did not get his name, was a bit of a busybody and when he came into the room he picked my mobile phone up and studied it for a while, which I did not really appreciate.
4. I daresay Shamrock has one of the best views in Munnar. It's not exactly uninterrupted, what with the very uninspiring outdoor dining/garden space in the front of the property, but it's location seems to be unparalleled.

All in all, don't be put off by the decidedly unfinished look of the hotel (carpark), it's a great place to stay (and great value, especially with the mountain trekking thrown in!) and we only wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 10, 2009

I had spent two nights at the Olive Brook and had planned to spend a third night in Thekkady. Unfortunately, the boat rides were cancelled at Thekkady’s Periyar Park because of the recent mishap so we decided to spend a third night in Munnar instead. The Olive Brook did not have a room available for me the third night so it was arrange for me to stay at the Shamrock instead just a 5-10 minute walk away.

There is no doubt that you cannot beat the dinners cooked up at the Olive Brook (they also have daily cooking demo) and the entire guest dining has its charm, but you cannot beat the spaciousness and the extraordinary view at the Shamrock and the hosts are very accommodating. As mentioned in other comments, the Shamrock does stand on the edge of a small, poor, and friendly village. The rooms are arranged on a slope which gives an unsurpassed view over a valley. Some of the best pictures of my trip to Munnar came from my balcony at the Shamrock.

This was really a nice quiet outing.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 3, 2009

I tried to plan a peacefull trip with my gal in munnar and tell you what must have not been possible without these guys I messed with the pre booking but the guys esspecially Manoj joshua marked my word and just by a phone call he blocked a beautifull cottage for us.We checked in at 9.30 am May 1 friday and the moment our car arrived the guys were on their toes they helped me with my luggages to the cottage and i was just stunned getting into it. It was a cozy romantic and was with a stunning hillside view. Then i welcomed my gal who was waiting outside anxiously and the moment she came in she was just bamboozled she cant trust the place which is so simple and elegant yet had the best of the best interiors with a beautiful hillside view and amazing staffing.Then i called the room service guys will pretty much refer them to friends cause they treated me the same i asked for a cofee and was bit troubled but with the licensing laws of alcohol in munnar stil asked him for a beer and so cheerfully the guy replied no problem and was back within 5 mins with a hot cofee and chilled out beer cant ask better than this after a long drive.The moment we finished the beer and cofee it was more than 1 pm and was feeling hungry so checked with the guys for any breakfast over the phone and all i heard over the phone was no problem and within 10 min guy called Ajith was at the door step all smilling with the breakfast it was so good and me and my gal enjoyed each and every sec we stayed over here we stayed for 2 nights and 3 days and all that we could say was "Must have stayed longer". The cozy place with proper food and steady supply of our fav beer Kingfisher with amazing interiors,staffing,maintance, and everything in reference to a perfect getaway is something we will remember for a long time and truly say" Shamrock roooocks". I would strongle reccommend this place for any loving couple for a peacefull yet romantic getaway.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 25, 2009

We had read a lot of reviews about Shamrock prior to going to Munnar. We were very happy with the choice we made. There is no restaurant in the hotel, but all meals are served to your room. The food was excellent, and the room service was really lovely. Also, as people will realise in Kerela, it is very difficult just to get a beer due to licensing laws, however our hosts had a steady supply of KingFisher.

They are partnered with the Olive Brook which is just up the road, and when we went to use the internet facililities the location was much nicer in that the immediate view is just mountains and trees.
The view from the rooms in the shamrock, is over a local area - refered to in some reviews as a slum. This is India, and there are many poorer areas whereever you go. Although the views are not as picturesque as you would think in Munnar, it did not disturb our stay in Munnar. It was actually quite nice to hear the local community going about their daily lives.

When going to Munnar there is no town centre, there is no night life and the only restaurants are in the hotels. During the day there are nice walks in the tea plantations, and our hosts in the Shamrock provided us with an excellent guide.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple