All reviewshot waterplace to staynice valley viewholiday homebig roomexcellent viewroom service was goodevery eveningvisiting munnarcockerelbalconyteamountainscloudsindianmaintenanceclimate
Reviewed May 3, 2009

I tried to plan a peacefull trip with my gal in munnar and tell you what must have not been possible without these guys I messed with the pre booking but the guys esspecially Manoj joshua marked my word and just by a phone call he blocked a beautifull cottage for us.We checked in at 9.30 am May 1 friday and the moment our car arrived the guys were on their toes they helped me with my luggages to the cottage and i was just stunned getting into it. It was a cozy romantic and was with a stunning hillside view. Then i welcomed my gal who was waiting outside anxiously and the moment she came in she was just bamboozled she cant trust the place which is so simple and elegant yet had the best of the best interiors with a beautiful hillside view and amazing staffing.Then i called the room service guys will pretty much refer them to friends cause they treated me the same i asked for a cofee and was bit troubled but with the licensing laws of alcohol in munnar stil asked him for a beer and so cheerfully the guy replied no problem and was back within 5 mins with a hot cofee and chilled out beer cant ask better than this after a long drive.The moment we finished the beer and cofee it was more than 1 pm and was feeling hungry so checked with the guys for any breakfast over the phone and all i heard over the phone was no problem and within 10 min guy called Ajith was at the door step all smilling with the breakfast it was so good and me and my gal enjoyed each and every sec we stayed over here we stayed for 2 nights and 3 days and all that we could say was "Must have stayed longer". The cozy place with proper food and steady supply of our fav beer Kingfisher with amazing interiors,staffing,maintance, and everything in reference to a perfect getaway is something we will remember for a long time and truly say" Shamrock roooocks". I would strongle reccommend this place for any loving couple for a peacefull yet romantic getaway.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 25, 2009

We had read a lot of reviews about Shamrock prior to going to Munnar. We were very happy with the choice we made. There is no restaurant in the hotel, but all meals are served to your room. The food was excellent, and the room service was really lovely. Also, as people will realise in Kerela, it is very difficult just to get a beer due to licensing laws, however our hosts had a steady supply of KingFisher.

They are partnered with the Olive Brook which is just up the road, and when we went to use the internet facililities the location was much nicer in that the immediate view is just mountains and trees.
The view from the rooms in the shamrock, is over a local area - refered to in some reviews as a slum. This is India, and there are many poorer areas whereever you go. Although the views are not as picturesque as you would think in Munnar, it did not disturb our stay in Munnar. It was actually quite nice to hear the local community going about their daily lives.

When going to Munnar there is no town centre, there is no night life and the only restaurants are in the hotels. During the day there are nice walks in the tea plantations, and our hosts in the Shamrock provided us with an excellent guide.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2009

This hotel has a few cottages built on a nicely gardened slope above the village. Each cottage is spit into two halves, so you occupy half a roomy cottage with vaulted, clay-tiled ceilings and a tiled-floor bedroom with a separate sitting area in the front entrance. The rooms are simple, clean, and modern, although seem to be of low quality construction for the price (for example, one of our shower knobs fell off even though the place was brand new when we stayed there). A small balcony in the back offers beautiful views of the mountains in the distance and views of tin corrugated roofs just below. Room service was good, and one night they served four of us a candlelight dinner in a separate cottage with beautiful views; both food and service were very good. Our driver was able to park his car in the car port. The cottages were just off the main road, and safety was not a concern. The staff arranged a trek with a friendly, knowlegable tour guide for one person.

We did have an uncomfortable transaction with the staff, however, when they would not allow on their grounds a guide that we had found through another source and whom we really liked. Our lowered rating comes from the feeling that the staff manager was a bit arrongant and controlling and seemed to think he had a better idea of what we wanted to do than we did. In this respect, service was less than professional.

Although the hotel was clean and spacious, I thought it was overpriced for what was offered and would try to find another place from which to explore the breathtaking tea plantation of Munnar.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed February 12, 2009

After a weeks travel and acclimatising to the Kerala culture, we finally landed at the Shamrock in Munnar and was just so happy with our find. I promise you, you won't find better service anywhere. Okay there;s no restaurant but how nice it was for 2 nights to be waited on in our lovely spacious room. We had a great view of the tea plantations below and it was one of the best rooms we stayed in on our trip. They took us on 2 great trecks also. There's not mcsh around but you don't need anything for a couple of nights. They even have cold Kingfishers on ice for you. Overall a very relaxing, peaceful and friendly place to stay. I hope you enjoy as much as we did.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2009

Just returned from a terrific stay at The Shamrock. Beautiful views of the mountains and the tea plantations surrounding Munnar. Friendly, helpful staff, yummy food, clean rooms. We enjoyed the two hikes that we took from the Shamrock. I wish I'd have been able to stay longer.

• Stayed: January 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ashleypaige