“Very Bad choice”
Review of Shamrock

Shamrock
Ranked #52 of 165 Specialty Lodging in Munnar
Reviewed May 5, 2013

These people are cheats. I booked this hotel as per the rates displayed. After one day of stay, I came to know that rates were increased by 40%. When I opposed, the staff behaved very rudely. Finally, I was forced to pay the higher rates.
No transport arranged by hotel staff when I checked out, so I had to walk on road with my heavy luggage.
Hotel is located at an odd location and not easily accessible.
Chose this hotel at your own risk and cost.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank AKC27
There are newer reviews for Shamrock

Reviewed April 29, 2013

we arrived and was met by a very nice friendly helpful manager who showed us to our room.the views over the tea plantations was amazing .All seemed fine initially until bed time ! where we discovered the bed was soo very damp and had bugs in it . we did not have breakfast as we were told the chef had gone on holidays! we only intended staying one night anyway. which was our worst and most expensive hotel in our two week stay travelling around kereala.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Luvd to live in shamrock.they provide a great service which i had missd in topest resorts in munar. . . garden,cool wind..sunset. . .tea plantations. .fogs.mist. . .its an enough Romantic plac...u wil surely luv it yaar. . .

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We wound up staying here after they made an error with our booking at Olive Brook. Our rooms here were modern, clean, and spacious, with a small private balcony on which to enjoy the lovely view. The staff are really, really friendly and helpful. Thomas is a fabulous cook, and we really enjoyed the food. Also, they arranged a driver to take us from Munnar to Periyar. The driver Johnny James was very helpful, his car is air-conditioned, and has seat-belts, and most importantly, he drove safely (something to appreciate in India) and was able to point out sites along the way. If you need an onward taxi, I would recommend you request him. The lack of Internet is a downer, as is the construction going on next door (although we weren't disturbed by the noise).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Shamrock is a small hotel, not a home stay - but anyway the very friendly staff made me feel very much at home.

Views are excellent, rooms are clean, food is tasty. Most important is the friendly, smily staff and all the good service they offer.

I stayed for 11 days going for daily walks in the beautiful surroundings. Every evening the staff would come to ask me if I needed any assistance for the coming day. They would draw me a map with suggestions for where to walk or they would help me find a local guide. If I asked for a guide at 8 am I could be very sure he would be there on time and that my breakfast would be ready on the time agreed together with a lunch pack to help me through the day in the mountains.

The hotel is on a hill side in a small village 4 km out of Munnar town. It is not always quiet and the hotel does not look the most charming. But the magnificent views make up for that.

And with the kindness I met from the staff, I can not ask for more.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Lone H
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I booked for standard room in Shamrock and to my surprise when checked they upgraded my Room to Delux Room. Hotel has excellent view for sunset and can beat Sunset point as well.
Though I stayed only for two days in this but my stay was awesome.
Staff is really helpful and guide you for anything and everything. While booking Munnar tour, Hotel staff suggested to visit important places and mostly which were open.

I definitely would like to stay back in this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 6, 2013

we originally wanted to stay at the Olive Brook, but were told this was the same owners, same everything. actually the Shamrock has nicer big room with balconies overlooking the valley and mountains and is better. There was no wifi or internet which we had been told existed, and the staff, though energetic and helpful did everything from cook and serve the meals to taking group Tea plantation walks. The food, due to the absence of the chef was mediocre and after 5 nights we couldnt wait to get to a restaurant. because of the location and the area you are trapped into eating dinner at your hotel. the breakfast was good. we were shocked at the bill when departing, as our little cheese sandwiches, teas and cokes were stupidly expensive. (300 IR plus tax after tax and service fee for a little cheese sandwich, 180 plus plus for coke, etc etc).
there doesnt seem to be a real management happening. the kids there are very nice and try to be helpful, but there are many awkward moments. we loved the comfort and spacious room, but having a noisy construction site literally next door was annoying. the room price was close to 4000 a night with taxes and for the same price or less there are a few better choices in the area with good food, quiet, internet, and a management team. amazing area well worth the trip. we stayed an extra few days to be able to do more hiking and exploring. we will be back but at a different place. p.s. the Olive Brook was tiny , and the rooms had no view at all. people there looked depressed, , we had to walk over to use the computer to make travel plans as it was during the two day strike and changes had to be made.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple