All reviewshot waterplace to staynice valley viewholiday homebig roomexcellent viewroom service was goodevery eveningvisiting munnarcockerelbalconyteamountainscloudsindianmaintenanceclimate
Reviewed June 8, 2011

"The worst place to be! I had to check out immediately as the place was not in a livable condition! The following are the points which make this place the worst place to stay in Munnar:-

1) There is construction just adjacent to this property. Bang bang! Jolts through the day with loud noise.

2) No one at the reception. I had to find someone to do the check-in. He was busy cooking in a small nearby room.

3) No water was there when we entered the room.

4) No restaurant but the menu card was a big one. When asked about what was available; just sandwiches!

5) There is no one in the place to give you service of any kind.

6) The location is like you are watching a garbage dump! Dirty sewage water flowing everywhere. Can't stand the smell.

7) Very difficult to park a vehicle. just two cars can accommodate.

8) Looks like a home-stay which is badly managed for which you pay a price of a good hotel."

I just cant understand how people have rated this place as excellent or even good ? I guess because of the view is really good but this is there everywhere in that place and not unique to this Resort (cant call it a resort!). Dont get carried away by other reviews and you will write back agreeing with me !

A note on Makemytrip.com: Thank you Makemytrip for refunding me in total ! Appreciate Mr. Rajesh Dalal for this. Why have you still put up this name in your hotel list even now ? Dont make others suffer who would go by reading the ratings as Excellent/good and just because of the view !

Hope you have noted and many thanks !
Hrishikesh Gore

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank hpgore
Reviewed May 25, 2011

Date: 14 & 15 May 2011
We booked this hotel based on some very good reviews in trip advisor, and found out that this place is truely wonderful.

We were three friends who planned a small vacation to munnar, after doing a bit of online search, I shortlisted a few hotels in munnar but, after considering the cost and location(location in particular) i finally decided to go with Shamrock.
During my online search I came across a few reviews which complained about the nearby slum or a small settlement, but I often go on camping, trekking, have come across a lot of tribal areas so, I instantly knew this small settlement is not going to bother me or my friends much. But, to my pleasant surprise when we reached we found that this place is on a elevated location almost on a slope and the nearby settlement was way below this area and almost out of our eye site, and I wondered how could this really bother anyone?? but, different people, different perspective, so I have nothing much to say about this. But, what was clearly visible was the wonderful view just in-front of our room, the pristine valley, hills.. after a day long drive from Bangalore, this was a welcoming site !! I was truly mesmerized.
The other cousin of Shamrock, the olive brook is a few steps away and having the reputation of a wonderful stay has probably compromised on the view, but still as it is in a isolated area and really quite, some prefer Olivebrook over Shamrock.

As we arrived in Shamrock, we were welcomed by one Mr Jose, he was very humble, calm, polite, he greeted us well, this was really welcoming after a tiring 7-8hrs of drive from Bangalore(to my pleasant surprise he even spoke in Kannada with us !!).
Shamrock is around 15-20 min drive from munnar town, away from all the hustle and bustle, this is one of the main reasons I choose Shamrock.The other factors were of-course cost, it was way cheaper than the other near by hotels or cottages, so staying here was really worthwhile.
And also for people who drive down, parking space is available, although it not a very large space still quite sufficient.

And coming to the room, it was very clean, neat, a cozy comfortable bed, toilet was very neat, 24hrs hot water, what more we would expect? Service was fantastic, they were very responsive and immediate. The only small drawback which i saw was that food was not all that great, it was decent and also we had to place the order at least 2hrs in advance, this probably was due to low manpower in kitchen. This didn't really bother us cos, we wanted to have beer just before lunch/dinner so, it was kind of ideal for us cos, we started our drinks and almost when we were done after about 2hrs, food was ready on the table :-)

Overall, a fantastic stay, brilliant location and I would recommend this place to everyone, be it family, couples or friends who prefer to stay away from the munnar town and at a reasonable price.

Having said that, Its only my personal view or experience, again different people might have a different perspectives so,choose your stay after doing a good research, which suites your needs.

So, here I am signing off with all the fresh memories or munnar still alive, hoping to visit this palace sometime in future too.

Regards,
Goutham

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 24, 2011

The Shamrock Hotel is a relatively recent construction by the owner of the well-regarded Olive Brook home stay, a few minutes’ walk further away from the village. We were unable to get rooms in the Olive Brook for our three night stay in Munnar, but we had the opportunity to view one of the rooms and have dinner at the Brook (following a cookery demonstration) which enabled us to compare both venues. Staff seemed to cover both establishments too (such as the chefs and driver) while the staff bungalow was located at the Brook.

It seemed to us that the food was the same excellent quality in both places, as was the attentive and very helpful staff. In fact, the service was excellent, although those not used to homestay style accommodation might think it odd that everyone were dressed in their own clothes.

The Brook enjoys more solitude thanks to being further away from the village and situated in a little gully above the road. Rooms are smaller than the Shamrock and views of the valley below are obscured by trees. The Shamrock enjoys spectacular views of the ranges and also, if you look down, a good part of the local hamlet. We learned that life in India is noisy and starts very early in the day, so don’t expect the solitude of the Brook if you stay here. For example, while we were there a new house in the village had been completed, and they celebrated for two days by playing music at full volume via a commercial PA system. Nice introduction to the latest Tamil and Malayalam hits!

Our three-roomed Villa was spacious, very clean and comfortably appointed. With an attractive high roofline, it had one fatal flaw – noise conducted easily between apartments and we wondered if the lack of ceiling and hollow bricks popular in this region contributed to this. Worse still, the Shamrock is clearly popular with city folk from the North getting away from it all, and we were amazed at just how loud they can be – Bollywood movies on the Satellite TV at max volume and the families happily shouting and laughing over the noise till late at night. Interestingly, we were led to believe this is a common problem.

So – no real relaxation at the Shamrock for us. We had earplugs from our flights, which proved handy. The walk through the tea gardens is particulalry enjoyable, as are the nightly cooking demonstrations.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Matt P
Reviewed January 16, 2011

Don't be put off by the slightly shabby appearance of this place. The rooms may be alittle 'tired' but they are clean and the bathrooms have obviously been modernised.

Although there is a little village neighbouring the property this is not really an issue, although some might say that it spoils what would otherwise be an excellent view.

The place appears to be run by a group of men who are very obliging.

Breakfast is brought to the spacious room and the set-up is quite a ritual. The food is fresh and good. Same for dinner. The place is alittle isolated but that didn't bother us as we were out in the day with our own driver and just wanted to chill at night.

On New Year's eve they arranged for us to go to the gala dinner at the "Tall Trees' (that was the most surreal evening of my life but is another story). As we returned early the guys decided to set up a wood fire outside our cabins and set off some fireworks.

We had a memorable stay here.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 29, 2010

We reached Munnar from Cochin and our stay was here for 2 days. Booking was from Make My trip as part of Kerala Tour Package.
Shamrock is located at really beautiful location in terms of the outside view. The mountain view & Tea Garden view from the room & its sit out is really good.
The room was spacious with amenities like TV, Bed, Sofa & Table. The flooring was also good. We had breakfast included and it was one of the finest breakfast of the travel. They provided a lot of thing to eat. In the night time we ordered dinner and it was also good.
Hotel staff was cooperative and they provided good service. Out of the whole travel of Kerala we found Shamrock best after House Boat.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple